What would you say of Edge doing a whole concert, and Bono for backup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I'm sure someone is going to mention the Sarajevo concert, but I'm talking about a concert where Edge would sing every song, and Bono would provide the back up vocals (best to his ability) and guitar, what do you think?

What song would you like the Edge to perform? The Edge has a similiar voice to Bono's but is a little different, and he can get it really high up there.

I wouldn't like it. Edge has a great voice, and he would probably do a full concert very well, but I wouldn't want to see it.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'd like to see an Edge solo concert, but not a U2 concert with Edge on lead. Especially not if Bono was on guitars :yikes: :no:

haha, Bono on guitar for an entire concert would surely make the Bootleg hall of bloopers forever :( :yikes: :uhoh:

I like the defined role of each member in U2. I like it when Larry did the vocals those couple of times, and when Edge did Daydream Believer, but I wouldn't want an entire Edge concert. One thing, the songs wouldn't be as great because of the, uh, amateur guitar work, and i'm not sure Bono would be able to hold his tongue anyway :laugh:

Daydream Believer
Dancing Queen
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Corpse (These Chains are Way Too Long)
Van Diemen's Land
Seconds
Numb

Nice for a radio show :sexywink:

Edge has an amazing voice, he really does. He has more control over what he can do than Bono. It's beautiful and I love to him take the lead vocals from time to time. I just don't think it's the right voice to front a rock'n'roll band.

I don't know... Edge's voice can be quite good - but it seems he excels when singing WITH Bono, not on his own. For example, I found him rather nasal on "Van Diemen's Land".

Also, Edge lacks the power and passion that Bono has. Edge has admitted that Bono is a natural front man and he can't be more correct. Edge works in beautifully with Bono - his guitar and backing vocals are synchronized to Bono's vocals (or vice versa). The two clearly feed off each other well (just as Adam and Larry feed off each other well in concert).

However, Edge as the lead singer of full on front man wouldn't work. First, it would be too difficult to sing and play guitar/piano. And Bono can't do Edge's guitar work at all. :wink: Second, I just don't think Edge has quite the vocals or passion (in his voice) that Bono does. Edge's passion shines through his guitar work.

So, for me, it wouldn't work at all. It might be an interesting concept for a show or two, but if it were MY show (and if I was only seeing one concert), I know I'd be very disappointed.

My thoughts exactly, doctorwho.

There's a reason why Bono is the front man. It has a lot to do with his voice, but even more with his ability to connect with the audience. I like hearing Edge sing for a song or two, but he's incredible at what he does (as are Bono, Larry and Adam), so I don't see the need to have them reversing roles.

I think that although it may sound interesting on paper, in reality it would make for a total waste of both Bono and Edge's very different talents. Edge may be a perfect sideman (as he himself often describes himself), but he's no frontman material and back-up singing is IMO the perfect employment for his somewhat timid vocals. Mind you, I think he'd still make a better job of being a lead singer than Bono would at being a lead guitar, :)

What song (in U2's cataloge) would you like to hear the Edge perform?

When I first heard "Van Diemen's Land" I originally thought it was Bono singing like with southern drawl.

While I would love to see Edge perform lead for an entire concert, I don't think it's a reasonable proposition, as he would still handle lead guitar and thus put Bono out of a job.

I do, however, believe that an Edge mini-set is a reasonable idea. Seconds, Van Diemen's Land, and Numb are already 'his' songs, and while they don't flow together, I am sure he could sing a couple of others and create a nice set. Van Diemen's Land and Sunday Bloody Sunday solo would definitely go together.

Back
Top Bottom