What would happen if U2 released Discotheqe today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscoJokeX

The Fly
With such songs as Aserje on topp of the lists, what would have happened if Discotheque were released today?:ohmy:

Picture the "boomcha" dance beeing danced everywhere!:lol: :D :reject:

who knows....but I would like to see them try something like that video again, y'know, just let all the goofiness out in front of the camera.... :dance:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
who knows....but I would like to see them try something like that video again, y'know, just let all the goofiness out in front of the camera.... :dance:

:yes: It WOULD be cool! Maybe it's because I'm a slightly goofy person myself, but I just love it when they're laughing and having fun!

I don't think they'll get too 'goofy' because Bono really needs to watch his image and maintain a measure of respectibility to be taken seriously by all the politicans and world economists he recruits help for his causes from. Having a 'goofy' video out might make him a laughingstock which might hurt his credibility. You know people really are that shallow. Also, and sorry to say, with so many younger people calling them 'old' they'd just make fun of them for trying to act silly 'at their age.' Maybe a few folks here would laugh, but it would be a major PR blunder.

oh about 1978- I think it would have scared the hell out of me when I was a kid:scream: :lol:

But not as bad a System of a Down and Linkin Park :no: :p

Last edited:
I don't know how things are in the States, but in Europe lately (actually for the last 2 years or something) there has been a small 70's-80's bad style fashion and music ressurrection for some reason. So I guess this could mean that people would accept more easily this sort of song and video.

Anyway, for once more U2 were a few years ahead of everybody if you consider the fact that in Europe discoballs are in style again and so is late 70's and 80's music, and fashion too. Deliberate bad-style parties were a big smash for sometime.

U2Kitten said:
Having a 'goofy' video out might make him a laughingstock which might hurt his credibility.

When I saw him in Nebraska walking towards me in that nice black suit....our Bono....looking all proper and such.....hehe, I wanted to laugh (instead, he laughed at me :shrug: )

No harm in a little fun, eh?

i think the song might've done better, but i doubt they would've gone for the cool video. as others have said, i don't think bono would've been as willing to be so goofy on camera now.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i think the song might've done better, but i doubt they would've gone for the cool video. as others have said, i don't think bono would've been as willing to be so goofy on camera now.
Oh, I don't know about that. "Evil Bono" from the Elevation video - and that whole video in general - was quite goofy. I mean, a giraffe in a rock video? Just walking down a city street?? With Bono holding a bag of groceries, talking to his "evil" self on his cell phone??? Come on!!!

What you mean the original mix or the new one? Well, I liked the original better (can't BELIEVE they took out the 'boom-chas')!
The video was hilarious!! So, yeah! If they released it again I'd buy it!

I don't think Bono's concerned with his image regarding the politican. He dressed up as a devil for God's sake, he isn't going around apologizing for that in order to be taken seriously.

I like the video. :tongue: It's funny & light. We didn't want them turning into Creed now do we? :eyebrow::sexywink:

oliveu2cm said:
We didn't want them turning into Creed now do we? :eyebrow::sexywink:

:no: Absolutely not!

Yeah...:lol: The Elevation video was a tad on the goofy side...and so was the US version of Stuck in a Moment...:shrug:

griffith has a point.

i really dont think it would do all that well. its an interesting question, but charts appear to favour the power chord, vomit endusing bands that we all hear 30 times a day on the radio.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i think the song would do well if it were released today. however this is me speaking and i do realize that i am in the minority when i say i love the song and video.

:shrug: I love the song and the video (for all its silliness!) too...I just don't know about MAINSTREAM success...

oliveu2cm said:
We didn't want them turning into Creed now do we? :eyebrow::sexywink:

... or into pre-Achtung Baby U2? I hate Creed's music, I'd rather listen to the original... you know, back in the day when they still called themselves Pearl Jam? But U2 fans making fun of Scott Stapp for having a Jesus-complex is a little ironic, don't ya think? That's the same thing Bono used to, and sometimes still does, get accused of. That aside, I do think Scott Stapp is a wanker.

As for the Discotheque single... music was just as shitty back in '97 when they released it the first time. All this Backstreet Boys and N'Sync garbage were just breaking at the time. If you don't grab the interest of the "TRL" crowd, ya just can't crack that Billboard Top 10 for an extended period of time anymore.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

... or into pre-Achtung Baby U2?

Excuse me? What do you mean by that? There was NOTHING wrong with 80s U2, they were overall the best U2. Obviously you were not around back then and are only judging by people calling them 'po faced' and 'self righteous' which is not true. If you watch Rattle and Hum and the UF collection, they do smile and laugh and cut up, and always have. Red Rocks and Party girl was pure fun. My teen years were filled with U2 and I know those days well. U2 were very cool in the 80s, sorry you missed it.

As for now, I think our guys have the maturity, intelligence, and good discretion to know the difference between 'having fun' and making a total fool of yourself. You can have a lot of fun and be cool without getting extreme. They can 'laugh' and keep it within the limits of good taste. Example:

X00200_9.JPG

3366342%3B23232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2326%3D933%3D72%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E2323369426645ot1lsi

All they have do is be themselves, their TRUE selves and not try to prove or force anything and everything will work out fine.

Last edited:
It was. Easily one of U2's best albums. It is somewhat flawed due to its rushed completion but it is still a great album. Discotheqe was a bit of a joke (that no one got) as well as having a dark seamy undercurrent below it's glossy surface. That's what's made the original great. The revised version's good but it loses something in the stripping away of that slightly overproduced surface (while loing the vitality of the live version which it was more or less a copy of - still good but lacking a little)). That was the great thing about a lot of the songs on POP they had subtlety masked by brutal excess. Most people couldn't see through the first layer (I admidt it took me awhile to fully appreciate the album too) so they said it was junk. The public at large have no interest for what they can't process in zero to sixty, so I say Discotheqe wouldn't do too well now either.

Back
Top Bottom