What will be on the next BEST OF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Will songs from ATYCLB be included on this next Best Of? Should they wait since the album is so recent?

My inquiring mind wants to know what the rest of you think about this.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

To be honest, I don't know why anyone who posts on this board (who is presumably a die hard fan) would care. Most die hards have all officiual releases. I just hope that they put on a couple of new songs with the next GH volume. I was so disappointed with the last one. My reaction, "GREAT, I can buy something that I already have." Granted people who didn't have the b-sides probably loved the last GH. Also, it was awesome for the casual U2 fan. I am just a little bitter that not even one new song was on it. Most of the time when bands release GH albums there is at least one new song.

I agree with ultraviolet353 that there will be songs on the next best of that we've all heard to death.

I mean the track listing will probably look something like this:

"Even Better Than The Real Thing"
"Staring At The Sun"
"One"
"The Fly"
"Last Night On Earth"
etc etc...you get the idea

I'm just curious to what artwork they're going to use on in the cd.
I am also very interested in the B-Sides collection.
I like the idea of having all the 90's B-Sides on one cd.

But what I would really like to see, is a few new songs, those being ones the band never realeased in the past.

I recall Edge saying the band have a lot of material that will never see the light of day.

I hope this material does see the light of day on this next best of compilation.

I have a question...i could have sworn a couple of years ago i saw a U2 box set somewhere...then all of a sudden, i couldn't find it anywhere...Does anyone know if there was a U2 box set available for a short time and then pulled?

A couple points:

* Laislin, I read a recent interview in which Edge said they may release a box set sometime in the future, but there are currently no plans for such a release. He also said that despite the fact that there are some really good songs that no one has ever heard, there are also some really bad ones...

* As for a new song or two being put on the '80-90 Best Of, I would be just as happy if they reworked a song like 'Where Did It All Go Wrong', which, in particular, I think has HUGE potential if U2 decide to take another stab at it. Yeah, I'd love to hear that song re-worked. Heaven. I do, however, believe that this time around, it will not be a re-worked song, but will be either one or two new songs (going by what P. McGuinness said about U2 working on new material for a possible release later this year -- as it would coincide with the rumoured Best Of timeline, and is consistent with Edge saying they would like to spend a year and a half recording the new album, and therefore negating the P. McGuinness statement in any possible reference to a new album, for example).

------------------
The Tempest

I think the new best of will be a great oppourtunity for U2 to reintroduce the 90's work to the fans who lost intrest somewhere around Zooropa & came back for ATYCLB. Plus, of course, all the new fans they picked up with ATYCLB. I think it is a perfect time to do it. The 90's material still sounds very fresh & probably sounds more contemperary then a lot of the crap that passes for rock today. It's great for them to get a second chance to put some of those overlooked tunes out there. Plus, the B-sides are nice for the fans who might buy the albums but not the singles. I am curious to see how a new tune would fit in to the mix. Maybe Edge will remix a POP tune or they will record an unreleased tune from the 90's. I think they will focus on the singles but who knows? Based on the 1st Best of though, I'd guess the following tunes...

1 NEW SONG
2 Even Better Than The Real Thing
3 Staring At the Sun
4 Lemon
5 Mysterious Ways
6 Discotheque
7 The Fly
8 Last Night On Earth (single remix)
9 Until The End Of The World (Not a single but radio hit & soundtrack song)
10 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11 GONE? (perhaps a re-recording similiar to the live version-they seem to love this tune)
12 Please (single version)
13 Who's Gonna Ride Wild Horses (single Remix)
14 Miss Sarajevo
15 If God Will Send His Angels (single remix)
16 One

(Maybe Numb or Mission Impossible as a hidden bonus track? Doubtful...)

Some possible B-sides
Night & Day
Lady With The Spinning Head
Satellite Of Love
Salome
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Paint It Black
Fortunate Son
Slow Dancing
Holy Joe
North & South Of The River
I'm Not Your Baby
Your Blue Room
Pop Musik
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Two Shots Of Happy

Personally I am looking forward to the U2's new collection; but maybe it's just because I'm already antsy waiting for a new release from them
tongue.gif
Hawkmoon, I think your track list sounds pretty good. I would love it if they had the UTEOTW soundtrack version & Wild Horses, but the Temple Bar edit (I think that's what it's called)

Either way it will be interesting to see what makes the cut and what doesn't
smile.gif

And I do hope they do the double disk with the b-sides as well like with the last one

Just some thoughts!

------------------
-- Sara
the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind

I agree with you and love your track list.
cool.gif

I think they have PLENTY of material to draw from without tapping into ATYCLB. It's too soon to put those songs on a Best Of. (IMO)

It would be great if they get a chance rework some of the tunes from POP since they have indicated that they weren't happy with some of the original recordings. This would be a good opportunity for them to record them the way they want them to sound.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue:
I agree with you and love your track list.
cool.gif

I think they have PLENTY of material to draw from without tapping into ATYCLB. It's too soon to put those songs on a Best Of. (IMO)

It would be great if they get a chance rework some of the tunes from POP since they have indicated that they weren't happy with some of the original recordings. This would be a good opportunity for them to record them the way they want them to sound.

I originally thought that they might include ATYCLB material, but if they did they would have to leave so much stuff out. With a pure 90's best of, I think they can make more of an artistic statement on where they were in that decade. They should really be proud of those songs. Not a bad line up.

I just read on www.youtwo.net that the track list is going to look like this:

The Fly
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Lemon
Stay
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Miss Sarejvo
Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Please
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Elevation
Walk On

It went on to say that instead of a second disc of B-Sides, U2 would have a whole cd of new material. The reason for no B-Sides is because U2 wasn't as active during the years spanning 1990-2000. I tend to disagree, because I can think of at least 20 B-Sides to choose from. Then again, getting a whole new album isn't too bad
smile.gif

The statement that there will only be one cd because U2 didn't release as much material from 1990-2000 in my mind indicates 2 things:

The first is that the hits from ATYCLB won't be included on the album, which would be logical since they are so different from the nineties stuff.

The second is that it will only contain 8 or 9 hits, the rest will concist of new songs and the best b-sides. The first Best-of contained 13 hits from 6 albums, so it would make sense to take 8 or 9 hits from only 3 albums (4 if you include Passengers).

My prediction concerning the hits would be:

Even better than the real thing
One
Mysterious ways
Zooropa
Stay
Hold me thrill me...
Miss Sarajevo
Discoteque
Staring at the sun

I admit though that it would be strange to have a cd with both hits and b-sides so I might be wrong.

The following from Universal Records Switzerland about this year's
Best of 1990-2000 release:

U2 Best Of 1990-2000 is to be released in autumn 2002.
There will be a new U2 single before the album release.
There will be a second new U2 single in early 2003.
The Best Of 1990-2000 will be released as a limited edition, double CD set as well as a standard 1-CD edition.
Tracklistings are not known.

I really hope that Your Blue Room and miss Sarajevo will make it to the album, even though they?re Passengers Tracks.

I hope that Ultraviolet makes it on there because that is one of my faves from the Achtung Baby. :idea: I just thought of something wouldn't it be cool to start page that lists all the suggestions that we have for the GH album and then some would give it to the band or to some that knows the band. Just an :idea: :question:

Lemon Meringue said:
The following from Universal Records Switzerland about this year's
Best of 1990-2000 release:

U2 Best Of 1990-2000 is to be released in autumn 2002.
There will be a new U2 single before the album release.
There will be a second new U2 single in early 2003.
The Best Of 1990-2000 will be released as a limited edition, double CD set as well as a standard 1-CD edition.
Tracklistings are not known.

I hope it's true about the limited edition 2-CD set. Everything I have heard indicates otherwise. And wouldn't it be great if they included some live versions of their hits on the Best Of instead of the studio versions, as a nice gesture toward those who already have all their albums?

I also have my fingers crossed for the B-sides and some live or re-worked versions of the 90's songs. I don't think the songs from ATYCLB should be there though... it's too soon!

Back
Top Bottom