what was your first u2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got ATYCLB, Best of 1980-1990 and Achtung Baby for Christmas in 2001. By March, I had everything (thanks in part to K Mart having a display with all of the albums for only ten bucks a pop) but the Rattle and Hum and Boy albums , which I got a few months later.

Wide Awake in America

My brother had moved out at 18 (I was 15), and he left some of his cassette tapes behind:

- Sex Pistols: Nevermind the Bollocks, Here are the Sex Pistols
- The Clash: London Calling
- U2: Wide Awake in America

I really got into all of the above, got into alternative music (Stone Roses, The Cure, others), but I thought U2's "Bad" was awesome.

The Joshua Tree came out soon thereafter and I snatched it up. U2 has been my favorite band since.

I wound up really getting into Boy, War, and October, and I think the first side of Unforgettable Fire is rivaled only by the Joshua Tree.

Achtung Baby kept me hooked, of course. Zooropa and the work they've done since have lessed U2's grip on me, but I like All That You Can't Leave Behind although it is a little soft-rock for my taste. Pop was just painful more me. My favorite band had "gone over" to the other side with that one. Thank goodness for ATYCLB - it brought them back a little closer...

Last edited:
Re: Wide Awake in America

geography said:
My brother had moved out at 18 (I was 15), and he left some of his cassette tapes behind:

- Sex Pistols: Nevermind the Bollocks, Here are the Sex Pistols
- The Clash: London Calling
- U2: Wide Awake in America

I really got into all of the above, got into alternative music (Stone Roses, The Cure, others), but I thought U2's "Bad" was awesome.

The Joshua Tree came out soon thereafter and I snatched it up. U2 has been my favorite band since.

I wound up really getting into Boy, War, and October, and I think the first side of Unforgettable Fire is rivaled only by the Joshua Tree.

Achtung Baby kept me hooked, of course. Zooropa and the work they've done since have lessed U2's grip on me, but I like All That You Can't Leave Behind although it is a little soft-rock for my taste. Pop was just painful more me. My favorite band had "gone over" to the other side with that one. Thank goodness for ATYCLB - it brought them back a little closer...

Sex pistols was one of my first few albums.

The first U2 album I bought was Rattle & Hum in September/October 1991. A couple of months later is was Achtung Baby (and I got Boy from the library). With Christmas 1992 I had all their albums and never looked back. :)

BOY, am I old. Boy, fall of 1981 (on scratcy vinyl no less).

UF was my first CD.

OnFire said:
BOY, am I old. Boy, fall of 1981 (on scratcy vinyl no less).

UF was my first CD.

I'm with you. I bought Boy on vinyl after going to my first show in May '81.

I have the 1st 4 U2 albums on Vinyl, Cassette & CD.

(And as pathetic as I am have bought every album on vinyl & CD ever since).

Last edited:
my family and i were on a road trip about 3 years ago and we pased by Kmart (lol) and my dad picked up Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and The Joshua Tree (my 2 favorite albums ever, lol). I remember listening to Streets for the first time, and i was blown away. When we got back home, we bought ATYCLB. Since then, i've gotten Under a Blood Red Sky and downloaded most of the albums.

oh yeah, i also got Rattle and Hum and Elevation Boston. i was quickly absorbed by "Bad" and how awesome it is! it's still my favorite U2 song ever! (just surpassing Lemon and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock)

My first real (ie, not borrowed from my older brother) U2 album was Rattle and Hum, from my younger sister in about 1998 when I was in high school. She was going to get it for my birthday, but would only buy from this cool little independent store which was sold out at the time, so she had to order it. I thought that was so cute and funny.

eta "borrowed"

Last edited:
2861U2 said:
My first U2 album was ATYCLB. I got it for my 14th birthday on 1-29-88.

:eyebrow:

Then why didn't you tell us all about it before 31 October 2000? :tongue:

*realises that should be 29 January 2002*

I can't remember actually - I remember getting into U2 because my Dad used to play The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby in the car.

I think the first U2 album I bought for myself was Zooropa.

U2's best of 1980-90 was the first cd i ever bought...next was boy and the rest followed when I saw them for a decent price

My Mum got Rattle and Hum on vinyl off my Dad for christmas 89, so that was the first U2 album floating around my place, but the first one I bought was Under a blood red sky on cd in 90. I'd seen a special on U2 on the telly and I really liked Gloria so and Sunday bloody sunday, so I went and got UABRS and then the next year I got Achtung Baby on cd for christmas and then by mid 93 I had everything of theirs on cd:wink:

My first U2 album was Rattle and Hum, which I bought on cassette back in 1988. I had fallen in love with the group in 1987 when JT was released, but I was so broke back then I felt guilty about spending money on music. I just taped the songs off the radio (yeah, I guess I should feel guilty about that too! :wink:) Fortunately, one of our local radio stations played tons of U2, including songs off JT that were never released as singles.

Anyway, I bought more U2 cassettes, including JT, a few years later when I joined one of those buy-one-album-get-11-free music clubs. Then they wore out and I re-purchased them on CD.

Last edited:
I copied my friend's ATYCLB and Achtung Baby onto a cassette tape for my car, and later I stole my dad's Joshua Tree and War. I think I bought The Unforgettable Fire and Best of 80-90 at the same time.

Zooropa in the last half of '93.

I think I had all of their albums up to that point after about a year and a half or so.

Last edited:
UABRS for me, too. have UF & JT on vinyl somewhere, cassettes for most and cds of all. last full length(s) i bought were boy and october, after atyclb. :huh: don't know why i didn't get them earlier

I bought The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB all on the same day. A power purchase.

Back
Top Bottom