What was your first impression of Elvis P and America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
When u FIRST HEARD IT - without ever knowing it had been slowed down - on purpose, wasnt it?

When I first heard it, I mean, OBVIOUSLY to me it sounded slowed down, but why again? It still sounded good, but sometimes I wonder how it sounds speeded up and I wonder has anyone had the pleasure of pushing it real fast to find out and tell us??????
Im not sure if this song created controversy.....but I cant really listen to it anymore, as its sound has become 'a dull thumping padlock with the groans of a man craving justice'.......

???????

lol, Tackleberry.

I like Elvis Presley and America. I think it's melodic, it has a real lullabye quality to it.

I've always been intrigued by the way it continues on and on, like it's never going to come to a resolution. Bono just improvises till the music stops. For the most part, it's U2's experimental side that makes me a fan. On the Greatest Hits, it's the B-sides I find myself listening to over and over. I also have been a great fan of their remixes. To some degree, commercial success puts limits on what a band can release. But, U2 has always found a way to satisfy the creative urge and experiment. I think that's what Bono may have meant when he said it wasn't necessarily about relevance, but are they still blowing their own minds.

:huh: I don't remember what I thought the first time I heard it.

I've always thought it was a decent song, although not one of my favorites...but it is growing on me now. :happy:

I liked that song the first time I heard it. That is an album to listen to with your eyes closed, at least I do. It paints images in my head, sometimes I picture them in that castle, jamming together, it conjurs up other images as well.

There's a really funny post in "It's a Musical Journey" about misheard lyrics where somebody commented on how they can never understand what Bono is singing in that song. Ah, just read it...It's funnier than what I'm explaining.

I love EP&A! I think it's great to hear how Bono composes lyrics at the mic. It gives you almost an inside look at how a song is written. If you speed it up I think you'd hear the backing tracks from "A Sort of Homecoming".

cannie find it Wertsie..............can u???

:(

DAMN IT!!!! somebody tell me WHY it was slowed down!

Bloody Eno had an answer!!

IVE JuST LOST IT IN MY MIND OF POPPIES AND CLOUDS!!!!!!

:evil:

unfort, well no....its not WRONG for the album, but so sedative...................................ach for ballox sake noones heard it on speed either!!!! Bugger mash!

:mad:

I adore that song. I think the first time I heard it, it was raining. And it sounds like rain. Sounds like the clammering, the spitter and the spatter of a light and somewhat cloudy rain. I love how Bono keeps asking the question, "You know?...And...you know?" It's like he wants us to tell him where the song is going...but he eventually turns it up, finds a way out with a breathtaking climax, and the rain goes away. Very cool song. I don' t think anyone has ever put out a song like that. It may just be the most unique U2 song ever written.

And by the way, I seem to remember reading that it is 'A Sort of Homecoming' played backwards?

ti-hua said:
I love EP&A! I think it's great to hear how Bono composes lyrics at the mic. It gives you almost an inside look at how a song is written. If you speed it up I think you'd hear the backing tracks from "A Sort of Homecoming".

it is the backing tracks to sort of homcoming slowed down, as I remember them saying awhile back. I think eno did that and didn't tell bono what it was and just had him improvise lyrics. I'm pretty sure it's first take vocals.
amazing tune to me.:yes:

From the first time I heard this song, I liked! It was different and catchy! I always figured that Bono was having to much fun trying to figure out what the hell is was singing and how it was going to end!!!:wink: :p

Back
Top Bottom