what was the best U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeICX

Babyface
hi all, im doing some research for a magazine i work at (insidecx.com) and i was wondering what people consider to be their best tour? would ZooTV be a safe bet?

i only been to one concert myself - popmart which rocked
but i think the one thats gone down in rock history is Zoo TV, no doubt.
it was phenomonal

LOOOOOOOOOOOVETOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWNN!!!

Nothing can compete with Lovetown. ZooTV is one of U2's weaker tours.

I am a huge Lovetown tour fan and I'm a huge Zooropa tour fan as well. I think those two are probably tops. Just don't get me to pick one. :wink:

Zoo TV, beyond any doubt or question. I have seen every tour since then, and none has compared to the Zoo. None ever will.

I'm gonna have to say either, Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire or Lovetown...

Lots of innocence, great raw music filled with emotion -- before U2 took on popular culture.

ZooTV
Joshua Tree/Lovetown
Popmart
War Tour(doesn't anyone remember how amazing the red rocks show was?)
Elevation

theu2fly said:
I'm gonna have to say either, Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire or Lovetown...

Lots of innocence, great raw music filled with emotion -- before U2 took on popular culture.

Hooray, someone else to back me up!

BTW, does anyone else consider the Joshua Tree Tour and the Lovetown Tour to be the same thing? When I think of it, I see the Joshua Tree Tour, and I see two legs tacked onto the end of it a year and a half later for the main purpose of giving Australasia(Australia/New Zealand/Japan) their share of shows...but aside from playing R&H songs on the Lovetown legs, I don't see any difference between the band's physical appearance, playing style, etc etc....I always lump the JT Tour and Lovetown together. Am I alone in that?

namkcuR said:
BTW, does anyone else consider the Joshua Tree Tour and the Lovetown Tour to be the same thing? When I think of it, I see the Joshua Tree Tour, and I see two legs tacked onto the end of it a year and a half later for the main purpose of giving Australasia(Australia/New Zealand/Japan) their share of shows...but aside from playing R&H songs on the Lovetown legs, I don't see any difference between the band's physical appearance, playing style, etc etc....I always lump the JT Tour and Lovetown together. Am I alone in that?

No, they're totally different tours. U2 were utilising a completely different stage, the setlists are vastly different, it was marketed as a whole new tour, it was promoting a new album, it featured BB King and his band ...

If you're going to argue that JT and Lovetown = same tour, then you better also argue that Boy and October = same tour or that War and Under Australian Skies and The Unforgettable Fire = same tour.

I've only been to Elevation, but I'd vouch for ZooTV. The setlists were a little static but overall...just amazing. just thinking about zoo makes me :drool: I'd put Popmart right behind that. I think what I love most about those tours is the way all the songs had this certain unifying sound to them; older songs were played in a way that fit in with the new - ultimate example, Bullet the Blue Sky. Also the use of technology was great, and they were promoting their two (imo) greatest albums (AB and Pop).

Purely musically, in many ways Lovetown does rule all. Those Point Depot Shows... particularly Boxing Day and New Year's Eve are amazing. With my favourite versions of many songs including Running To Stand Still, All Along The Watchtower, Out Of Control, my favourite intro to Streets etc etc. I also love the floating set list.

But ZooTV was more than a tour, it was a concept. It was the best tour, touring of the best album. It had so many aspects (McPhesto, The Fly Words, Interference, the TV Screens) that no tours even came close to.

That being said, not all of ZooTV was sheer awesomeness. I think it started musically pretty badly, the Houston Zoo TV is probably the most depressing boot i've heard. SBS made me wanna slit the old wrists.

So after much waffle...I Want My ZooTV.

Zoo Tv outside broadcast was the best followed by Elevation and then Zoo TV inside broadcast. It is hard to compare pre-Zoo TV tours to post-Zoo TV tours because I think the pre tours were really about the music while the post tours have been about the "show" and the music. I have been to many shows by many different artists including the Stones and Pink Floyd with their major stage shows and nothing compares at all with Zoo TV. It was truly the best experience in terms of seeing a band live.

u2gator

Lovetown. It was pure rock and roll. They totally ignored America and played everywhere else but there. Various set list changes, played an entire show with a backwards set list.

Bono sang like he never sang before and never could sing that way again.

The infamous "dream it all up again" speech.

It was the end of an era for U2.

They loosened up and it paved the way for the change that was yet to come.

Back
Top Bottom