What U2 songs can you not stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
And SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS is actually a really great song. It has an addictive bass riff and lyrics that you can really relate to!
:yes: i love this song!! the only song on zooropa i could do without is the wanderer, which shouldn't count anyway since it's johnny cash singing, and not bono. (it's not even johnny's voice that i don't like, it's the music, that synthesizer or whatever grates my nerves!)

Angela Harlem said:
I am surprised that people can honestly say they cannot think of one song they dont like! Maybe you are all more dedicated fans than me.

For me, U2 music is comprised of 6 core instruments.
Lyrics
Vocal Melody
Bono's Voice
Guitar
Drums
Base

When all 6 instruments 'click' - for me that's a U2 classic. (eg: Bad)

Because I love those instruments so much, even songs where only 3-4 of them are "on", I still like the song. That's why I can easily say I don't hate ANYTHING U2 have done.

As an aside, I think it's sad that the "hate" thread has over sixty replies and the "love" thread can't even reach thirty. Sad that people so willingly want to come out and talk about what they hate, but are indifferent to the things they love. (Wertsie a notable exception. ;))

The only thing related to U2 that I hate, is fans who talk about the parts of U2 they hate.

Tip Top Prince said:

Lyrics
Vocal Melody
Bono's Voice
Guitar
Drums
Base

Because I love those instruments so much, even songs where only 3-4 of them are "on", I still like the song. That's why I can easily say I don't hate ANYTHING U2 have done.

As an aside, I think it's sad that the "hate" thread has over sixty replies and the "love" thread can't even reach thirty. Sad that people so willingly want to come out and talk about what they hate, but are indifferent to the things they love. (Wertsie a notable exception. ;))

The only thing related to U2 that I hate, is fans who talk about the parts of U2 they hate.

Well said, I love everything that comes from U2 for the reasons you stated above.:yes:

Tip Top Prince, I agree you summed it up very well :) To be honest, I dont think there is really any song I would say I actually HATE either. U2 are a band that dont produce music I cannot listen to at all. I mentioned Streets as it is generally considered one of their classics, yet I just dont get into it. Perhaps I am just missing something, I dont really know. For me, there is something awesome about probably 80% of the stuff they do. It could very well be that mixture you describe. Whatever it is, I love it and it works for me. Then there's a few songs I will skip, or not choose to listen to, and this is not a negative comment either. They just dont do for me, what so much of their stuff can. But that small percent I dont care about. There is a much larger percent that is so awesome, I can remain a fan.
Its all good :)

Tip Top Prince said:

I totally agree. There a lot of bitchers on this board, but, that said, I've seen boards with far more negativity then this one!

I mean there's room for constructive critisicsm but sometimes you've just got to be grateful for all the entertainment U2's music has brought us!

Tip Top Prince said:

Lyrics
Vocal Melody
Bono's Voice
Guitar
Drums
Base

Agree completely with you (and yes, it is sad that the "hate" thread is getting more replies than the "love" thread).

I understand that some people out there will have their things that they don't like about a band they're a fan of, there's a few songs they may not care for, and that's fine. And if you don't like something, then you should be able to air your opinion. Some people aren't gonna like every single thing their favorite band does or every single song their favorite band does. And like I said before, I don't actually hate any U2 songs, but there may be a few that aren't my absolute favorites, songs I may not care for nearly as much as others.

But some people...it just seems they criticize practically almost every single thing U2's done, it's like they have these exceptionally high standards for the band, and if the band didn't meet those standards, then they're disappointed. It just seems some people are a little too critical. This isn't an easy business, and some of these decisions aren't even so much the band's decisions as they are the record companies' and all that, and it's just...bands aren't perfect, they'll make some mistakes here and there, and some people should just at least try and imagine themselves doing this for a living before they get so critical.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom