What U2 Needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray

Acrobat
As U2 proved with HTDAAB, they can still make good songs. What they did not prove is that they can do new things and conquer the world with brilliant rock and roll. As true as what Bono said about HTDAAB being a guitar-driven album is my level of hope of the next album being another Achtung Baby. When I say that, I do not mean I am expecting the band to make a masterpiece. I am asking them to try something diferent. Something that will knock people off their feet, something that sounds like four men putting back together the atomic bomb that was U2's experimental phase. And no, I do not want a 32-track album with synthesizer and marimbas. I want U2 to reinvent themselves as they should have done with their latest album in which they just softly restated ATYCLB. I want new U2. I am hoping that U2's next album will not simply be 11 singles, or 11 soon-to-be-adult-contemporary-chart-toppers. I want U2 to take risks, which is a challenge that many bands these days refuse to take.

Thanks for listening
-Murray

I'd have to agree. I think their last two albums accomplished what they wanted in terms of solidifying the idea that they are indeed the biggest and best rock band in the world. Now it's time to push their own boundries again. I hope songs like Mercy and Fast Cars offer "some" kind of direction of where they're going next.

Murray said:
11 soon-to-be-adult-contemporary-chart-toppers

Not a very accurate description of HTDAAB for several reasons, not the least of which is that U2 songs are not topping any charts. I'm speaking for the US charts only, but HTDAAB will have 0 adult contemporary chart toppers.

I acctually think that statement was more inclined toward ATYCLB, not that I agree with it though.

Lancemc said:
I'd have to agree. I think their last two albums accomplished what they wanted in terms of solidifying the idea that they are indeed the biggest and best rock band in the world. Now it's time to push their own boundries again. I hope songs like Mercy and Fast Cars offer "some" kind of direction of where they're going next.

:yes: I have said this before... I don't think ATYCLB or HTDAAB were mistakes (though the long-ass titles requiring acronyms may have been :wink: ), in fact I think they're both quite brilliant. However, another album in the same vein would be... U2 has more than re-established themselves as the biggest band in the world, now they need to re-establish themselves as the best band in the world. ATYCLB was a necessary step after the failure of Pop and was actually quite experimental for U2. HTDAAB was a refined, slightly edgier continuation of ATYCLB. There were glimpses of innovation for U2, such as Love and Peace or Else and Fast Cars, but I think the real indication of where U2 is headed is Mercy... it's very U2 but also somehow very different. I honestly think they could make the best album of their careers if they have an album with Mercy as the centerpiece... something kinda dark, experimental...I want another Pop, damnit.

MOFO!!!!! :rockon:

All U2 needs to do is have confidence enough to put out an album and say "fuck off if you don't like it".

They are taking the opposite approach "please like it, please like it, pretty please?"

To say, "of course U2 wants people to like their music" is a lot different than the approach they are taking, so save it. If you can't figure that out, then I don't know what to tell you. Read some quotes from the band or something.

"fuck off if you don't like it".

I believe U2 is saying just that to those who didn't like the last two albums.
And yes, they always craved for the masses' attention.

U2girl said:
"fuck off if you don't like it".

I believe U2 is saying just that to those who didn't like the last two albums.
And yes, they always craved for the masses' attention.

Is that what Bono did when he called up Kot from the Chicago Sun Times who had just given them a bad review?

Or did he use several ways to explain away the direction of the band? Maybe he just wanted him to understand, that's fine and acceptable, but it's a far cry from "fuck off if you don't like it"

Remember that the band has historically made albums in trilogies.

Boy/October/War
UF/JT/R&H
Achtung/Zooropa/Pop.

So, unfortunately (IMO), we will have (if history is any indicator) another album in the same vein.

The more I listen to HTDAAB the more I like Achtung Baby ;)

THAT album is truly a masterpiece. Every single song is worthtwhile - no filler at all. It would be difficult to recreate the circumstances needed for another album like that.... The area they were recording in was going through a massive shift...the studio they recorded in was one that Bowie made some of his more experimental music in, Bono and Edge were being very heavily influenced by a lot of music that was anything but traditional rock and roll (rap, dance, etc as well as some outlandish rock like sonic youth..), the band were coming apart at the seams and found a way to musically bring it together, etc, etc.

Plus, they were in their early 30's. Very rarely has a band made their masterpiece in their 40's. I am not ageist but it is worth mentioning.

I really miss the Bono that said they did not need the pop kids. That was A LOT more fun. Not that it really matters but the general consensus of my three best friends (all of which I turned on to U2 and loved the 90's output most) think that they have gone adult contemporary to a very large extent.

I really cannot completely disagree.

It was as if, with ATYCLB, they were learning to incorporate everything that learned from both decades and move forward into the new millenium. So.... it is time to do that. I thought there were no backwards gears on the tank. How come we get similar "Fly" visuals like Zoo TV, then?

If they really want to move into a future and have the shows primarily about music they are going to have to do something very new for them and that is vary the setlists. Play some songs from the back catalog they have never played before including some live jams: Promenade, Wire, Drowning Man, Another Time, Another Place, Wire, UF, IGCountry, Exit, LIBlindness, Red Hill Mining Town (sung as a ballad full band and slowed down!), Lemon, Dirty Day, Mofo, Please full band...

They are so good but there is room to be mind blowing. I mean the technology is cutting edge but they are still putting together the shows setlist wise the same way they have been doing since they started (greatest hits + new album + a small handful of other songs.) They need to grow in this area now that their catalog is so extensive! Some of this is due to a fundamental conflict: they want to be the biggest which means big shows which means catering to the casual fan. Tis a shame and my true wish is for the the band to experiment and blow their own minds (which Bono said on the VH1 special) and screw what the masses think. Play select arenas and play for the long time fans and yourselves. I understand for marketing purposes that have to continually attract the younger demographic but they never really cared about this when they were younger. The marketing is getting in the way of the band's greatness ultimately.

Just a disjointed rant and yes I love this band and see a lot of good in what they are doing but I guess I am as greedy as they are.... and maybe have a bit more distance for a different perspective.

Then again, I can't play an instrument or dance (at least I know) :)

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

Is that what Bono did when he called up Kot from the Chicago Sun Times who had just given them a bad review?

Or did he use several ways to explain away the direction of the band? Maybe he just wanted him to understand, that's fine and acceptable, but it's a far cry from "fuck off if you don't like it"

Kot was talking about the tour, ticket sales fiasco, reasons for promotion U2 has done etc not just the album.
Bono felt Kot was ripping them because he misunderstood the band's reasons, so he called him up. (Larry talked with DeRogatis, and that was a poisonous review if I ever saw one)

The band was torn over whether AB would work or not, so that line was just talk as far as I'm concerned. U2 doesn't work without the fans.

edit: I'm referring to the the fans, not critics and journalists. Specifically the overly obsessed 90's fans that went nuts when ATYCLB out and keep moaning with HTDAAB. The type of fans that seems to only like a band as long as they make the kind of music they like.

Last edited:
bathiu said:

Read this again and tell me you're serious...

Don't tell me you've forgotten the vast majority of critisicm with the last two albums on this board that went "oh why can't they be experimenting and daring again?"

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Don't tell me you've forgotten the vast majority of critisicm with the last two albums on this board that went "oh why can't they be experimenting and daring again?"
Don't tell me what you wanted to say, think what you've actualy said in that quote there...

U2girl said:

Don't know about "last two" albums, I love HTDAAB, it's my 3rd favorite U2 album...

...so lets talk about ATYCLB... experimental album? of course it's experimental, for the first time U2 used techno elements in their music in the most cheeeezzziest intro in Beautiful Day U2 have ever made, great loops of Larry's drums in New York, hip-hop/r&b rythm in 'In a little while', a britney-tipe-of-pop production on 'Stuck In a Moment', backward violins on 'Kite', techno-ambient music on Grace or sounding like train-wheels-hiting-the-railway drums in 'When I Look At The World...

ATYCLB must be U2's most experimental album of only "4 guys in a room playing music"...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:

You are the most ignorant person I have come across here at interference, I say that from 9 months of noticing your asinine comments.

Good day!

9 months! I made a baby once in 9 months. Is this your crowning achievement?

Taking the piss aside mate, you'd know if you happened to know U2girl for many years like a lot of us have, that her opinion (while always just an opinion and one she welcomes people not agreeing with) is pretty well informed. Disagree with her mate, but dont call her ignorant.

Angela Harlem said:

9 months! I made a baby once in 9 months. Is this your crowning achievement?

Taking the piss aside mate, you'd know if you happened to know U2girl for many years like a lot of us have, that her opinion (while always just an opinion and one she welcomes people not agreeing with) is pretty well informed. Disagree with her mate, but dont call her ignorant.

Angela, I am not intending to badmouth U2girl. I just want to praise everyone else at Interference!

I love you all, and instead of saying you are all grand, it is just easier to say U2girl is the worst of a great bunch. Sorry if it came across differently.

Sarcasm aside, it was just an opinion. If you like the lass and all thats cool, I'm not fussed and I can take that into accound. But so far on a purely post based level I find nothing redeeming about her.

That makes no sense. You've done nothing but highlight ways in which she can be belittled in here. I could expand on this further and point out how a lot of your comments to anyone on this board could very well be deemed personal attacks. I'm going to take an educated guess that you are a general smartarse in real life, and that is neither a positive or negative statement, as smartarses can be perfectly harmless and funny. But if you continually pinpoint ways to take jabs at people, you're going to have a mod on your arse for attacking people all the time.
As for U2girl, I dont think she will really care what your opinions on her posts are, so it becomes kind of redundant anyway. It's only going to come back on you.
:shrug:

Palace_Hero said:

You are from Australia, correct?

So am I, my entire education has been here. So if anything U2girl has less reason for language problems.

Quite the contrary mate. Us having grown up in an English speaking country make us fluent in nuances that second language speakers are not, or might not be. As it is, her English is virtually flawless, but like anyone, she can make statements which can be read 2 ways, or read the wrong way from the intention and so on.

bathiu said:

Don't know about "last two" albums, I love HTDAAB, it's my 3rd favorite U2 album...

...so lets talk about ATYCLB... experimental album? of course it's experimental, for the first time U2 used techno elements in their music in the most cheeeezzziest intro in Beautiful Day U2 have ever made, great loops of Larry's drums in New York, hip-hop/r&b rythm in 'In a little while', a britney-tipe-of-pop production on 'Stuck In a Moment', backward violins on 'Kite', techno-ambient music on Grace or sounding like train-wheels-hiting-the-railway drums in 'When I Look At The World...

ATYCLB must be U2's most experimental album of only "4 guys in a room playing music"...:rolleyes:

ATYCLB and HTDAAB - "last two albums". What else?

Of course by experimental, the 90's U2 is meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom