What the hell is so wrong with Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree Pop is better than the last two albums but Larry and Adam are definitely awake on this album. They were also awake on Million Dollar Hotel... Stateless is one of my favourites.

rjhbonovox said:

Of course the last two albums are lacking adventure, I was listening to Pop today thats how good the new album is, 4 days after release and I'm listening to Pop, the bass and drums are superb on the 90's stuff but since 2000 I think Larry and Adam have been asleep. In fact if you listen to the drums on the last two albums then listen to even the 80's stuff I reckon its a different drummer and thats no bull. He is not pushing himself like he used to, maybe age has caught up with him?

Give the poor guy a break. He has serious back and wrist problems. It's amazing he's still even able to drum. Even in the 80s he was no Dave Grohl (not in terms of skill, just in terms of intensity).

Miggy D said:

Give the poor guy a break. He has serious back and wrist problems. It's amazing he's still even able to drum. Even in the 80s he was no Dave Grohl (not in terms of skill, just in terms of intensity).

I'm not having a go and if thats the problem with Larry then thats sad but if you listen to something like Zoo Station and then compare it some of the stuff since 2000 for bass and drums its on a different planet.

Yep - even in the 80s Larry was strugging with serious back and wrist problems. It's a true achievement he's kept going this long. In the book 'At The End of the World' it is discussed briefly.

Hmmm...am I the only one here who doesn't analyze, dissect, write manifestos, analyze again, dissect again, etc etc regarding the technical aspects of the drumming, Adam's bass, Edge's guitar, and the like? For me, it's pretty simple: does the song have a good melody, chorus, and make my spirit move.

Personally, I could care less if Larry is syncopating, martial arting, lazily pounding the kick drum, or picking his nose when he's behind the kit, same goes for the rest of the band. As long as the songs have the essential elements (melody, chorus, & beat) than I'm thrilled.

As for Pop...the band acknowledges it's not some of their best work and it is certainly a controversial album amongst U2 fans. As the digital booklet that accompanies The Complete U2 on iTunes states "...one can argue that the twelve songs do not hang together sonically-the contrast from track to track can be jarring..."

As a hardcore U2 fan since the War album I'm not overly enamored with Pop and it ranks near the bottom of my list of overall U2 albums...a sentiment shared by many other fans as well. That said, I realize many fans enjoy Pop and that U2 actually earned some new fans with that album. Of course, I find the whole notion of the Pop album and endless club remixes nothing short of stunning given Bono's comments during the opening night of the Zoo TV tour in Lakeland, FL when he responded to a CNN reporter (about the tour and the album) that "...the pop kids might not like it, but we don't need them!" Apparently, Bono and the band must of had a change of heart because 5 or so years after that statement they make Pop...an album that imo was clearly calculated to appeal to and attract a much younger generation of fans...and I honestly don't have a problem with them doing that...in fact I think that where they failed with Pop (as far as it's commercial appeal and pop music desire) they have actually perfected with ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Just my 2 cents.
LSTB

I just used to love the rhythm section sound but it seems to have gone a bit stale, just a thought.

rjhbonovox said:

Of course the last two albums are lacking adventure, I was listening to Pop today thats how good the new album is, 4 days after release and I'm listening to Pop, the bass and drums are superb on the 90's stuff but since 2000 I think Larry and Adam have been asleep. In fact if you listen to the drums on the last two albums then listen to even the 80's stuff I reckon its a different drummer and thats no bull. He is not pushing himself like he used to, maybe age has caught up with him?

Once again, i have to agree 100%.

I think that perhaps i miss more Larry & Adam on the last 2 albums than i miss The Edge...

During the 90's (specially on Pop), U2's kitchen was amazing. Adam doing some intricate job and Larry with a drum sound nobody else could match. Amazing!

Now they are playing some ordinary stuff... I do agree too that even in the 80's (take War for example) they were much much better and creative...

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

I'm listening to Pop, the bass and drums are superb on the 90's stuff but since 2000 I think Larry and Adam have been asleep. In fact if you listen to the drums on the last two albums then listen to even the 80's stuff I reckon its a different drummer and thats no bull. He is not pushing himself like he used to, maybe age has caught up with him?

In the late 90's, Adam and Larry joked they were in danger of being replaced by a drum machine. Perhaps a lot of what you hear on Pop is indeed a drum machine.

Originally posted by Like Someone To Blame
As a hardcore U2 fan since the War album I'm not overly enamored with Pop and it ranks near the bottom of my list of overall U2 albums...a sentiment shared by many other fans as well. That said, I realize many fans enjoy Pop and that U2 actually earned some new fans with that album. Of course, I find the whole notion of the Pop album and endless club remixes nothing short of stunning given Bono's comments during the opening night of the Zoo TV tour in Lakeland, FL when he responded to a CNN reporter (about the tour and the album) that "...the pop kids might not like it, but we don't need them!"

I agree very much with this, and I am still stunned there are some people here who continue to complain and hold Pop up as some kind of example of perfection nothing will ever match. IMO, it was their absolute worst and least listenable work ever. There must just be some who are so burned that the band has abandoned that path they are holding grudges against them- and the fans who didn't like Pop or Zooropa- and lash out the blame. I don't think the band changed to please anyone. They have never been that way. If you look at their history, they ALWAYS change styles every few years, so this is nothing new! There is nothing behind it! Like I said before, Pop was what was in them in 1997, this is what's in them now! And UF was what was in them in 1984! U2 is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get, but the whole package is good. We should just be glad of that, especially considering what an impressive career they've had compared to other bands. I think what I'm saying is, stop whining, there is no reason to!

You listen to the drums even on the 80's stuff. Example A sort of homecoming, With or without you, one tree hill (its not just the 90's im talking about here) and also the 90's stuff the fly, zoo station, mofo, do you feel loved and and then compare it after 2000, its pretty rudimentary drums now. This has never ever been the case with U2, one of the reasons their music has lost its edge. no pun intended. Oh by the way Pop got U2 some new fans, yep sure did but I have been a fan since 1985 so I am a fan of all U2 not just of Pop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom