What sure-fire marketing strategies for U2 do you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Well, now that U2 have gone commercial and corporate, what sure-fire strategies do you guys suggest for U2 that can maximize album sales, radio airplay, and band hype?

Here are my recommendations:

1. RANDOMLY INSERT AUTOGRAPHED CD JACKETS

The autograph will be in the back also and the CD jackets should be sealed. Kinda like the baseball card concept where they publish odds of getting insert cards. For example, odds of getting a band member signed CD is 1:100, with gold ink is 1:250. A CD signed by the entire band will have stated odds of 1:10,000 for example. This way, die hard U2 fans might actually buy multiple copies in hopes of scoring a CD with the autograph of their favorite member. And have the autographs numbered and authenticated of course.

2. ADD EXCLUSIVE BONUS-CDs FOR MAJOR US RETAILERS

For example, all Target stores will have the album plus a bonus cd containing only one song - say an acoustic version of Vertigo. Then all Tower Records stores will have a bonus CD of another unreleased song or acoustic/live version of the album song. Then Sam Goody's will have another exclusive then Wallmart another. This will force the hardcore fans to buy multiple copies, or the casual shopper to buy the album because it has a shop-exclusive bonus cd.

3. MAKE TIE-INS WITH MOBILE PHONE MANUFACTURERS

For example Ericsson. Let their latest model phone have some of U2's new songs as part of their standard ring tone offerings and even make it the default tone. They can also have U2 screensavers or phone wallpapers. This will boost phone sales as well as subconsciously keep that new U2 tune in the phone owner's head.

4. INCLUDE THE NEW ALBUM WITH EVERY PURCHASE OF A CONCERT TICKET

Everyone who buys a show ticket gets a copy of the CD. How does that sound? Sure the CD may retail for $12, but the cost of it is much much less. And by the time the tour comes in, the album sales would have already settled down so U2's relations with the record stores won't be tainted badly with U2 including CD's in their tickets. If this tour will have 2 million people, then that's at least 2 million more copies of the album sold. And for those people who will go to multiple concerts and hence get multiple album copies, they will surely be forced to give it to a friend or relative to get them hooked into U2. So does such a trick could only be for the good as it will draw new fans into U2.

5. HAVE TIE-UPs WITH MICROSOFT

Microsoft is no question a monopoly. If U2 can somehow capitilize on that and have themselves integrated in special versions of Microsoft products, then that would surely be a great corporate strategy.

So what other strategies do you guys suggest?

Cheers,

J

to jick, u2 is not a band, rather a massive corporation where profits and the bottom line are all that matters.

Re: Re: Re: What sure-fire marketing strategies for U2 do you recommend?

starsgoblue said:

just a little joke for my friend j.

I hate to say it, but J makes a good, though negative point. Say Jick, for your next post come up with something positive (not sarcastic). Think of it as a challenge.

jay canseco said:
I hate to say it, but J makes a good, though negative point. Say Jick, for your next post come up with something positive (not sarcastic). Think of it as a challenge.

I've got a better idea!
Let's all make fake "J" posts in honor of Interference's most "colorful" member.

Here's Mine:
COBL is an ok song but it's no "Living on a Prayer" or "Wanted, Dead or Alive".

How'd I do?

Matthew_Page2000 said:

I've got a better idea!
Let's all make fake "J" posts in honor of Interference's most "colorful" member.

Here's Mine:
COBL is an ok song but it's no "Living on a Prayer" or "Wanted, Dead or Alive".

How'd I do?

pretty good, but even those masterpieces are no "sk8terboy" by avril.
that is where you touch the cusp of heaven on earth.
none of this City Of Blinding Lights nonsense.

jick said:
Well, now that U2 have gone commercial and corporate...

Ummmmm...they've been doing this since AT LEAST the Popmart tour, which was sponsored by MTV and VH1, both owned by a mega-corporation (so was Elevation).

troll.gif

bcrt2000 said:
Adam goes to vegas and gets married

DAMN too bad Britany is already married or he could marry her for a day or two! Damn! Well, there's always J-Lo...oops she's married too. Hmmm, I guess Adam's out of luck. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom