What songs would you want to see U2 drop from their live act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkmoon1021

Acrobat
For me, it would have to be "Bullet The Blue Sky". I think they have played it at almost every show since the JT tour. I like the Zoo & Popmart versions, but wasn't crazy about the latest live version. It was never really one of my favorite U2 tunes either. I'd much rather see "One Tree Hill" or "In God's Country" if they were going to play something else from the JT.

Even better ...
Mysterious Ways
Until the end ...
I will follow

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
Even better ...
Mysterious Ways
Until the end ...
I will follow

I think MW works well live, but it's another tune they have always played. Pull out Acrobat!

I did think I Will Follow was cool with Bono on guitar for this tour, but let's hear An Cat Dubh instead! Bono's falsetto would be perfect for that song now.

Bullet The Blue Sky
I Will Follow ( it should be replaced with another old one, maybe Gloria or Twilight )

Originally posted by Salome:
Even better ...
Mysterious Ways
Until the end ...
I will follow

i think that they should keep until the end of the world

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

It would be great if they re-worked and updated some older songs. I like the new version of The Fly that they started playing on Elevation..

Maybe even bring some old songs back for an acoustic set, like they did when they played an acoustic version of In Gods Country.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
It would be great if they re-worked and updated some older songs. I like the new version of The Fly that they started playing on Elevation..

Maybe even bring some old songs back for an acoustic set, like they did when they played an acoustic version of In Gods Country.

Agreed. I would like to heard an electric Staring At The Sun though. I was hoping they'd do that on this tour...

I am a fan of pretty much every U2 song.. so it's hard to choose. But here is a few I wouldn't mind being absent.

I Will Follow (I love the Elevation version, but Out of Control is great, so I'd prefer they switched to Out of Control)
Wild Honey (not played much, but still.. I didn't like it live as much as Stay)
With or Without You

Oh.. the sheer torture of having to say things like that.
tongue.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

They could stop playing Desire forever, as far as I'm concerned!

Bring back Gloria, Unforgettable Fire, A Sort of Homecoming, and 40! oh - and One Tree Hill.

They shouldn't cut anything. They should just play four hour concerts.
tongue.gif

Seriously, this is impossible to do. I guess the only ones that wouldn't send me into a murderous rage if they were cut would be:

With or Without You
Mysterious Ways (Gah! But I love that song so much!!)

Also, I think I would in fact fly into a murderous rage if they ever cut Bullet or UTEOTW. And Streets. They must never ever cut Streets.

It'll be interesting to see what they play on the next tour. I mean, obviously they're going to have to cut *something* from the current setlists. Or they could just take my suggestion...
wink.gif

Bullet the blue sky
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Mysterious ways
Desire

replaced by

Acrobat
Ultra Violet
One Tree Hill
Red Hill Mining town

any many more
biggrin.gif

maybe Pride too, this was a cool song once but Im sick of hearing it now.

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

Don't play these songs regularly, once in a while would be fine:

1. Bullet the Blue Sky
2. Desire
3. I Still Haven't Found
4. New York
5. Pride
6. With Or Without You
7. New Years Day
8. Discotheque
9. Mysterious Ways
10. Angel of Harlem

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
all of them, I want all new sets

nice idea
smile.gif
I agree...but unrealistic

So i'd say to drop BTBS
IWF
WOWY (unless they sing SHine Like Stars--which get sme every time)
New York (like the city, not a huge fan of the song)

How can Bullet be better on JT than live? I can't really figure that out! But hey, it's my opinion.

I think they should drop:

Pride
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of Desire

Where the Streets Have No Name is the ultimate concert experience, they should never never never drop it.

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

I meant Stuck in a moment AND Desire...
Blah

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Bullet
Until the End of the World
Sunday Bloody Sunday (reserved for special occasions)
New Year's Day (one of my favorites, but it needs a rest)
Haven't Found (it usually sounds half-assed)

------------------
I miss the innocence I've known
Playin' KISS covers beautiful and stoned

I'd like U2 to drop some of the songs they've been playing far too much (UTEOTW, Elevation, BD, WOWY, Streets, BTBS), and do a few shows- just for the fans-of some more obscure songs, or songs they've never played, or at least songs that they haven't played in a while:

Gloria
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
A Sort of Homecoming
Wire
Seconds (The Edge should sing more often, I think)
Drowning Man
When I Look At The World
AIWIY
Acrobat
Ultra Violet
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Staring at the Sun
HMTMKMKM

I think when they do go out on their last tour (and I hope that hasn't happened yet), they should do a whole 3 hour career retrospective.

Originally posted by Badyouken:
How can Bullet be better on JT than live? I can't really figure that out! But hey, it's my opinion.

I think they should drop:

Pride
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of Desire

Where the Streets Have No Name is the ultimate concert experience, they should never never never drop it.

I do like the like the Zoo/Pop versions of Bullet better live. But I like the studio version better than the Elevation version. Even though I don't count the tune among my favorites, I have more respect for the studio version now thanks to the classic album special. It was a bit more intricate than I thought. I still think they should drop it.

Pride is one of my favorite tunes, but I think I agree that they might need to drop it for a while. It seems like they go through the motions with that tune at times. Listen to the Amnesty version. That song used to be overwhelmingly powerful live.

I don't think they will ever drop Streets, and rightly so. It still kicks live.

You guys are all too spoiled.

I don't think they should drop anything. Obviously set lists change from night to night, tour to tour, but I hope they never ever stop playing UTEOTW and Streets, because those to me are staples!

If I had to live without some tunes... I could do without Pride, SBS and I Will Follow.

... but I seriously am happy with anything that they play. I went to four Elevation shows and heard over 40 different songs. Not one show was the same for me. U2 don't need my advice on what to put on a setlist.

definitely Mysterious Ways that one never rubbed me the right way and also Desire unless they bring back the old Rattle and Rum rockin version. I hope they never get rid of Kite!

I could live without:

New York
Wake Up Dead Man
Wild Honey (I like it, but it just never took off for me live)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day

I never tire of Bullet and Until the End of the World. I'm surprised so many people are ready to pull the plug on those.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

I never tire of Bullet and Until the End of the World. I'm surprised so many people are ready to pull the plug on those.[/B]

Until The End...is great live, but I can see how some may tire of it. I think they played it at every show since Zoo TV & they always do that Bono/Edge duel thing. I thought it was great on this tour though...

I agree completely with the last two posts.

UTEOTW is a great song but they need to give it a rest for a tour at least.

A concert without Streets is not a U2 concert IMO.

Until The End Of The World- great song, but I think it needs a rest for the next tour. They've been doing that bullfight thing during it on the last 3 tours, right?

Bullet The Blue Sky- again, great song. but it could use a rest. Maybe bring back Trip Through Your Wires!

I'd like to see more songs off Unforgettable Fire come back. I'm glad Bad was back regularly on the last tour.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 03-12-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom