What songs nowadays, 'feel' like "Where The Streets Have No Name"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I would say Coldplay's 'Clocks'

It is quite a ride, the imagery varies, but the song has a beginning, middle and an end that reminds me of Streets.

Clocks isn't even the best song by an overrated band, let alone anything even remotely close to the grandeur of Streets.

It seems like hardly anyone writes big, sweeping anthems like Streets anymore. The closest song to Streets in that respect that has been released in the past few years is "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen.

BrownEyedBoy said:
^Agreed on the first statement. Coldplay is a good band but they are overrated. Especially that scientist song. :barf:

Both Clocks and The Scientist are great songs. Where is a middle finger smilie when I need one. :wink:

Seriously, I can't think of anything to compare to Streets, Clocks is close but not the same.

'Run' by a band called Snow Patrol was THE epic anthem of 2004 over here in britain. not quite up there with 'streets' but a great soaring song anyway.

'clocks' just annoys me now, its suffered from massive over-exposure

Clocks isn't even comparable woth Streets. Yes, it's a great song, from a great band (with great vocals, too, Pero:wink: ) but Streets is just a different category; like you said, different genre! :huh:
I don't think you'll ever be able to compare some song with Streets, cause if it's too much alike, then it's just a poor copy. And if it's totally different, it's not the 'Streets-feel' anymore.
That counts for every masterpiece-song.

Clocks is definitely an outstanding song. That piano composition just takes you to another place. It progresses and develops at a furious pace. There is so much emotion, chaos, and self-reflection in that song.

Who are you people kidding?

It's that type of fan elitism that blinds you to great works by other bands. Streets is obviously one of the most uplifting, inspirational songs ever made, but that doesn't mean other bands like Coldplay couldn't write something outstanding as well for this era.

Maybe U2 should let Streets go and not try to re-write it with City of Blinding Lights.

OK, this is completely hokey, but the only non-U2 song that's ever made me feel so restless and hungry for change and adventure the way that Streets does is ... (hides face) "Allstar" by Smashmouth. Go ahead, laugh.

I also like Clocks, but in a different way, a quieter way.

its not modern, nothing I've heard recently can compare to Streets really, but: my favourite song of all time is one by 'the (crap) Scottish U2' called See The Lights, go see if you can find it and, if you do, turn down all the lights, lie on the sofa and turn up the volume. 4:23 of heaven.......

My other humble opinion:
BTW, Clocks is a fantastic song and Coldplay arn't over-rated at all, they are probabaly U2's protege in terms of Biggest (Best) Band In The World. Both Clocks and Amsterdam are in my all time top 10 songs and Rush Of Blood To The Head is one of the best albums I've had the privilege to hear.

(Plus, if you can find the Acoustic version of Clocks, its hilariously good)

on my own advice, I'm now listening to Belfast Child, also by Simple Minds, which has a similar ring to it

Nothing will ever touch Streets, by any band. Ever.

But for me, "There Goes the Fear" by Doves comes pretty close.

alreadygone said:
OK, this is completely hokey, but the only non-U2 song that's ever made me feel so restless and hungry for change and adventure the way that Streets does is ... (hides face) "Allstar" by Smashmouth. Go ahead, laugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry, j/k :D

Back
Top Bottom