what songs need a makeover and in what way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
what songs need a live makeover and how

ex...turning the Fly into a hard rocker during Elevation

one of my thoughts was to turn BTBS and WTSHNN back into epic songs...it seemed during the Vertigo that they were just a part of the show and they were rushed through to get to the encores...how about a longer intro or outro or building up the audiences anticipation instead of diving headfirst into it...I love on Rattle & Hum how WTSHNN just starts with just drums...the crash cymbal and the drumsticks and the guitar doesn't come in until 30 seconds into the song. Popmart added the extra outro so it made the song seem longer and meaningful. any other thoughts?

Pride needs a re-arrangement...it's been played for 20 years and they've really never done anything different with it. I'd also like to see them play SBS a few times the way they did in '87 (maybe '86 too?) with the drums not coming in until halfway through, just Bono & Edge in the beginning.

And agreed on Bullet, if nothing else go back to the JT/Lovetown version with Bono's rapping...the snippets on this tour really took a lot of the power out of the song.

They need to put The Fly back into its original state of ZooTV. Elevation was not as good, and Vertigo's been average. Edge on the Strat :drool: .

Bullet with the louder, more upfront ZooTV solo.

One back to semi-acoustic on ZooTV.

Pride with Bono giving a little more effort and Larry's drumming back to full force.

Streets without that crazy bongo thing Larry used on the last two tours.

Mysterious Ways full version like on ZooTV.

And Bono climbing on top of things on Electric Co. again. :wink:

Or they could just write some powerful new songs and not have to go back to playing the old standards.

They're classic songs, don't get me wrong, but maybe they should just be pulled out every now and then as novelty.

im not talking about pulling songs or adding songs...im talking about changing the way they sound

One needs 2 b done acoustic, earlier in the show (almost like it was placed in the ZOO TV Setlists).

Wake Up Dead Man, Staring At The Sun,

NOT ACOUSTIC PLEASE!!! One bad Vegas gig and then they go fucking acoustic.

dietcokeofevil said:
Wake Up Dead Man, Staring At The Sun,

NOT ACOUSTIC PLEASE!!! One bad Vegas gig and then they go fucking acoustic.

It wasn't one bad gig, they had trouble with it all around. They could never get the song right, and found it worked best acoustically live.

No shame in it...it was the best they could do with SATS in a live setting.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
big girls are best needs some lypo

they should just play Big Girls are Best and I'll be pleased.

I think Pride definitely needs a makeover, i can't think how but it's just dull and sluggish now.

I like the idea of Streets being longer with an 'inventive' instrumental section or whatever. Or maybe learn how to use samplers and drum machines to play the Pet Shop Boys arrangement of it. :wink:

Do the longer version of Mysterious Ways like on ZooTV. Make Bono hit higher notes again too just in general.

Update Ultraviolet somehow that has more punch to it.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

It wasn't one bad gig, they had trouble with it all around. They could never get the song right, and found it worked best acoustically live.

No shame in it...it was the best they could do with SATS in a live setting.

True, they were messing around with different ways to play SATS for several weeks on PopMart. Think they finally settled on acoustic the last night in New Jersey - If I recall correctly, the night before that they did it kind of world beat style, which I actually kinda dug...

Back
Top Bottom