What Song is This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetitans2k

Refugee
The other day I was listening to the radio and the guy said "after the break we will be playing a U2 song that Brian Eno got so frustrated mixing that he almost through it out." They never said which song it was and im just curious if any one knows.

What song is it?

financeguy said:
Where the Streets Have No Name (possibly?)

It has to be WTSHNN!

Eno can be seen talking about this on the DVD 'Classic Albums The Joshua Tree' if you need more proof.

Phew! Glad someone caught him ;)

Yeah, it's Streets. I'm amused that this topic was posted three times!

It was a bitch to mix, in part, because Edge went away for a few days and came back with like a half dozen tapes consisting of all the parts of the intro. The band & Eno thought it was great, but they had no idea what the hell to do with it! I think Adam complained that there was no way they could take the 5/4 time intro and turn it into a rock song that the rest of the band can play. :wink:

SiW87 said:
I actually thought he -did- throw out the copy of Where the Streets Have No Name? And then someone recovered it to finish it or something...

I thought this was what happened to With or Without You. Didn't Gavin Friday rescue that song from the trash? Or was that Streets? It's too early...my brain isn't thinking yet... :confused:

And as Brian said he would have erased it just so they could start over with it, not to scrap the song.

This just makes The Pet Shop Boys' point that Streets is "just another pop song" even more invalid.

Well, the Pet Shop Boys realised that buried beneath the rock instruments there was a great pop song, a song that would also be great in a pop format. So they focused on those elements and made it into a pop song!
:happy:

Popmartijn said:
Well, the Pet Shop Boys realised that buried beneath the rock instruments there was a great pop song, a song that would also be great in a pop format. So they focused on those elements and made it into a pop song!
:happy:
Okay, I see your point!

if you want to whole story from the "horses'mouth", then watch
- Classic Albums - U2: The Joshua Tree - where Brian Eno goes in great detail defending his rationale on why he wanted to erase the whole tape of WTSHNN and start over from scratch.

The whole DVD is really a great watch. Information straight from the band, not some DVD with British voice overs telling incorrect stories about the band and interviews with people who have zero connection with the band. They are such a rip-off! :madspit: (beware of "the history of U2", "U2 an unforgettable journey " (should be called "U2, a forgettable DVD"), " and "The U2 Phenomenon." I had the misfortune of renting "U2 an unforgettable fire" and it was a total waste. From now on I read the reviews of DVDs first, and these three DVD's have been rated as abismal. So don't waste your money.........

ok, enough ranting :rant: .... sorry.

thankyou said:
if you want to whole story from the "horses'mouth", then watch
- Classic Albums - U2: The Joshua Tree - where Brian Eno goes in great detail defending his rationale on why he wanted to erase the whole tape of WTSHNN and start over from scratch.

The whole DVD is really a great watch. Information straight from the band, not some DVD with British voice overs telling incorrect stories about the band and interviews with people who have zero connection with the band. They are such a rip-off! :madspit: (beware of "the history of U2", "U2 an unforgettable journey " (should be called "U2, a forgettable DVD"), " and "The U2 Phenomenon." I had the misfortune of renting "U2 an unforgettable fire" and it was a total waste. From now on I read the reviews of DVDs first, and these three DVD's have been rated as abismal. So don't waste your money.........

ok, enough ranting :rant: .... sorry.

Yup. The Classic Albums dvd is worth it for anyone interested. I think that's where they talk about the 5/4 thing.

thankyou said:
The whole DVD is really a great watch. Information straight from the band, not some DVD with British voice overs telling incorrect stories about the band and interviews with people who have zero connection with the band. They are such a rip-off! :madspit: (beware of "the history of U2", "U2 an unforgettable journey " (should be called "U2, a forgettable DVD")
Yeah I know! I bought that Unforgettable Journey one, watched it once, thought it was full of crap, and then got another copy for christmas! :madwife:
(It did clearly say on the packaging that it was not endorsed by U2 or their affiliates. Still, I really didn't want two copies of it.)

Back
Top Bottom