What song do you think that U2 plays better than ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

What song do you think that U2 plays better than ever?
I think The Electric Co was way better than ever on the Vertigo Tour.

Now what are your choices?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Runner-up would be Gone , it was played better on Elevation than on Popmart.

I don't really understand the question, since one example is from 2005, and one is from 2001.

Do you mean, "What song was played better in later tours than it was in its earlier performances?"

Well my vote would be for the Vertigo versions of Kite, they leave the Elevation renditions in the dust IMO, and as much as I love the studio original, the true potential of the song was only fully realised last tour. Everything from the didgeridoo, to Bono's heartfelt vocal, to Edges long solo gave the thing a real epic quality.

Last edited:
The Electric Co., no doubt. I think the Vertigo Tour versions are markedly superior to any earlier versions.

I should add that although it still sucks live and needs to be dropped from the regular set, the Vertigo Tour version of Pride was easily the best version since the UF Tour. There are some JT/Lovetown performances that are individually superior, but in terms of the overall tour version in general, Vertigo has the edge, and it slaughters the dreadful Popmart and Elevation Prides.

Last edited:
the fly keeps getting grosser and grosser, which is a good thing.
it's a dirty song.

I think the Fly needs an improvement on the chorus. Everything else is gold.

I think all the Boy songs were really improved upon. Bullet with Butterfly Wings snippet should have been replaced with Amazing Grace. Just sounds great when Bono sang that snippet behind the beat.

Mysterious Ways should really go back the 90's version. We definitely need belly dancers.

phillyfan26 said:
I don't really understand the question, since one example is from 2005, and one is from 2001.

Do you mean, "What song was played better in later tours than it was in its earlier performances?"

:ohmy: Sorry Friend , your right , that`s what I meant:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

The Fly was very very nice this tour, really hard rocking on the Vertigo tour.

UTEOTW was a step back, but maybe i saw some from footage for example at the R&R hall of fame i really liked it, i feel that Bono needs to be going mad, being angry to get it right, he needs to scream and do it with anger or else it comes over weak.

But Electric Co was just amazing. Kite also improved, although the Elevation version was amazing as well but bono really lacked the vocal strongness he had during the Vertigo tour.

Last edited:
all the stuff from boy they did was the best the tracks ever sounded. I would love to hear a entire live album of boy preformed now. Electrico Co vertigo was sick

dsmith2904 said:
I think "Bullet" was amazing on the last tour, Edge took this totally new direction that was electric and understated. Love that man's playing!

Yeah, I agree...that song had been dead to me live since the "Popmart Tour"...the Vertigo version was :drool:

The version in U23D was :faint:

I enjoy the fact that U2 change the overall feel of song from tour to tour. Though the same song, they keep it fresh from tour to tour (some songs).

-Boy songs soared last tour. Electric Co. was a live rock n roll onslaught.

-The Fly. Every tour this song gets better.

-Discotheque. Veritgo Discotheque was ace :drool:

LemonMelon said:
An Cat Dubh :drool:

Discotheque :drool:
Discotheque was indeed the best they ever did.

Unfortunatly especially the edge didnt seem to think that way, shows that even the best make huge mistakes.

Axver said:
The Electric Co., no doubt. I think the Vertigo Tour versions are markedly superior to any earlier versions.

I should add that although it still sucks live and needs to be dropped from the regular set, the Vertigo Tour version of Pride was easily the best version since the UF Tour. There are some JT/Lovetown performances that are individually superior, but in terms of the overall tour version in general, Vertigo has the edge, and it slaughters the dreadful Popmart and Elevation Prides.

I don't think they should drop Pride, its one of their best live songs and always a crowd pleaser. People sing along, etc. That being said, I disagree that the Vertigo versions were the best since UF. They were better than elevation for sure, a notch below popmart. Pride's heyday was UF, JT, R&H and into Zoo TV, still pretty good. Pop, elevation and Vertigo versions have been lacking, I think they need to keep Pride in the setlist but pick it up a little. They're still plenty capable, COBL, Vertigo, etc are not easy songs to sing and Bono pulls it off fine. I feel he is holding back on Pride.

Best reworking of their career, Zoo TV Running to stand still.

On Vertigo, considering only songs played for several tours in a row, MW or UTEOTW.

Back
Top Bottom