What song are U2 most known for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*BOOMCHAA!*

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
What do you think is the most popular U2 song ever?
The one they are the most known for?
I'm thinking PRIDE.
Everyone knows that song................

what do y'all think?
:hmm:

"Sunday, Bloody Sunday" or "Pride." I don't think "With or Without You" is as well known because it doesn't have a riff or chorus that just slaps you in the face like those other two do.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Without a doubt...

'With or Without You'

It's U2's 'Every Breath You Take'.

I agree here. Generally, the most radio-friendly tunes will be something a band is most known for because it can reach the largest audience. Just my observation.. not saying it's right. :)

Even though I think they are best known for WOWY, I find it interesting because WOWY isn't a typical radio friendly song. As someone mentioned, it doesn't have that full out guitar riff that is placed throughout the entire song (such as 'Pride'); also, it doesn't have a typical verse / chorus structure. It's a very unusual song, actually - yet it redifined popular music because of that. It defined itself in the mainstream, rather than being defined by the mainstream. Quite a feat when you think about it. I suppose that is the mark of a great song though.

Last edited:
One or Staring At The Sun.

My guitar teacher thought SATS was the most famous song...:eyebrow: I dont think so, but if somebody who doesn't know U2 says so....:rolleyes:

And Sunday Bloody Sunday. And Pride.

But One in anycase. :up:

:huh:

What about the people who don't like U2??? Do you know what they remember U2 most for? For the Boom-Cha dance at the end of discotheque where they dressed up as the village people. I was in high school at the time, and everyone hated U2 then. It was hard on me. But people still think of Discotheque when they think of U2....if they don't like them. It's just an excuse for most people to hate something that is popular.

WHY, oh WHY did they make that video??? Pop would've sold twice as well if they hadn't done that!

The_acrobat said:
What about the people who don't like U2??? Do you know what they remember U2 most for? For the Boom-Cha dance at the end of discotheque where they dressed up as the village people. I was in high school at the time, and everyone hated U2 then.

I was in high school too and neither I nor anyone else I know has ever seen or heard of that video. Or the song, for that matter.

They all remember Staring at the Sun though.

Judging from the radio airplay they get where I live, I would pick WOWY, Pride, One, Mysterious Ways, New Year's Day and Beautiful Day as U2's best-known songs. WOWY is probably the best-known of all.

I think perhaps Pride is best known in the States, here, in Belgium, I think Sunday Bloody Sunday is best known.

People here still identify U2 as the Irish group who fights for their own identity in a peaceful way. IMO, a lot of Europeans (i.e. non-diehard-U2-fans) still hasn't noticed what Bono is doing over the last few years.

Ive gotta go with The_acrobat on this one (and not just cause hes my cousin). Whenever we tell people we're U2 fans, the first thing they always talk about is Discotheque and the whole Village People thing. Sometimes you want to strangle these pop culture MTV lemmings!

I would say definitely "With Or Without You". It's by far the song you'll hear most often on the radio, or the song many people will know (at least the song as a song, without a title). Songs from ATYCLB and on don't really count in this list cause they're too fresh to be judged so don't mention Beautiful Day (although I agree it COULD someday be in this list).

The second most recognizable song could be "One". Definitely not Sunday Bloody Sunday, neither Pride, they are not that well known among younger people. WOWY is, however.

This conversation brought me to memory what had happened last year with my best friend. We were in his car and on the radio they played With Or Without You. He didn't really say anything during the song but he was listening carefully. After the song ended, I started talking about U2 and mentioned how "With Or Without You" is U2's most famous song and biggest hit (not chart-wise necessarily). And he goes to me "REALLY?????". Poor guy, up until that moment he really really loved the song but for some reason he had that impression that it was not one of U2's hits, not even a single maybe. He goes to me "This song is probably among my top 3 of all time but I couldn't really accept the fact because it seemed weird that I would like so much a song that never really was anything big". Well, that song was the song that brought U2 to the top of the singles charts for the first time and made them the world's most successful band at the time!

Back
Top Bottom