What song are U2 most known for? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 03:30 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 03:23 PM
ISHFWILF - The radio stations in Germany love this song.

Beautiful Day

Old 01-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #22
Refugee

1, pride, wowu, still havent found, streets.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:06 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What about the people who don't like U2??? Do you know what they remember U2 most for? For the Boom-Cha dance at the end of discotheque where they dressed up as the village people. I was in high school at the time, and everyone hated U2 then. It was hard on me. But people still think of Discotheque when they think of U2....if they don't like them. It's just an excuse for most people to hate something that is popular.

WHY, oh WHY did they make that video??? Pop would've sold twice as well if they hadn't done that!
Old 01-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_acrobat
What about the people who don't like U2??? Do you know what they remember U2 most for? For the Boom-Cha dance at the end of discotheque where they dressed up as the village people. I was in high school at the time, and everyone hated U2 then.
I was in high school too and neither I nor anyone else I know has ever seen or heard of that video. Or the song, for that matter.

They all remember Staring at the Sun though.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:54 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Judging from the radio airplay they get where I live, I would pick WOWY, Pride, One, Mysterious Ways, New Year's Day and Beautiful Day as U2's best-known songs. WOWY is probably the best-known of all.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:02 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Where I live WOWY and Pride are always being played on the radio.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 05:23 PM
I think perhaps Pride is best known in the States, here, in Belgium, I think Sunday Bloody Sunday is best known.

People here still identify U2 as the Irish group who fights for their own identity in a peaceful way. IMO, a lot of Europeans (i.e. non-diehard-U2-fans) still hasn't noticed what Bono is doing over the last few years.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:30 AM   #28
The Fly

Ive gotta go with The_acrobat on this one (and not just cause hes my cousin). Whenever we tell people we're U2 fans, the first thing they always talk about is Discotheque and the whole Village People thing. Sometimes you want to strangle these pop culture MTV lemmings!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:51 PM   #29
The Fly

I would say definitely "With Or Without You". It's by far the song you'll hear most often on the radio, or the song many people will know (at least the song as a song, without a title). Songs from ATYCLB and on don't really count in this list cause they're too fresh to be judged so don't mention Beautiful Day (although I agree it COULD someday be in this list).

The second most recognizable song could be "One". Definitely not Sunday Bloody Sunday, neither Pride, they are not that well known among younger people. WOWY is, however.

This conversation brought me to memory what had happened last year with my best friend. We were in his car and on the radio they played With Or Without You. He didn't really say anything during the song but he was listening carefully. After the song ended, I started talking about U2 and mentioned how "With Or Without You" is U2's most famous song and biggest hit (not chart-wise necessarily). And he goes to me "REALLY?????". Poor guy, up until that moment he really really loved the song but for some reason he had that impression that it was not one of U2's hits, not even a single maybe. He goes to me "This song is probably among my top 3 of all time but I couldn't really accept the fact because it seemed weird that I would like so much a song that never really was anything big". Well, that song was the song that brought U2 to the top of the singles charts for the first time and made them the world's most successful band at the time!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:30 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:23 AM
at least here, every girl I know knows ONE
WOWY is a close second
Old 02-01-2003, 10:31 AM   #31
you are what you is

New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Still Haven't Found ... and With or Without You

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
this is the Creep of U2....
umm, no
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-02-2003, 11:58 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bildo
Ive gotta go with The_acrobat on this one (and not just cause hes my cousin). Whenever we tell people we're U2 fans, the first thing they always talk about is Discotheque and the whole Village People thing. Sometimes you want to strangle these pop culture MTV lemmings!

Fuckin' A, man! Sorry I missed you this weekend. Saturday I had to do the whole one year anniversary with Monica. I didn't even know you called until today (Sunday). Wasn't home much. Anyway, yeah, Discotheque video = NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That tribute band is also playing Saturday night in Cleveland. So we could swing up, catch them, stay the night and then go to the r'n'r hall of fame on Sunday, when it opens. I wonder how much tickets cost. Ah, I'll look into it.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 AM
most of my friends think of

"one" "with or without you" and "beautiful day when u2 is mentioned
Old 02-04-2003, 08:39 AM   #34
Acrobat

Me being an experimental chook has done experiments on this subject.

I've found willing participants in chat rooms then proceed to play U2 songs to them. I start out with songs like Van Diemens Land, Mofo, Two Shots of Happy, One Shot Of Sad and make them try and work out which band is preforming them. Then I progressively make it easier and easier by playing more indentifiable songs.

Of course, at first they think I'm playing songs by different artists, but slowly they catch on.

From these experiments (and I've conducted a few over the past couple of years - I must have too much spare time) I have a fair insight to which are the most well known U2 songs amongst those who are not regular U2 listeners.

Pride, With Or Without and One are usually the give away to the most clueless person. But Sunday Bloody Sunday doesn't seem to do the job.

Josuha Tree, Rattle and Hum, All That You Can't Leave Behind Singles, Mysterious Ways and The Sweetest Thing would be on the rung below that.

Until The End Of The World, Lemon, Numb, Discotheque would be on the next rung down.

I've had some people catch on with Zooropa and Do You Feel Loved.

But as for Sunday Bloody Sunday... Maybe I've been experimenting on the wrong people!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:59 AM   #35
War Child

Its gotta be "I threw a brick through a window"

Hands down.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:29 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 04:23 PM
WOWY maybe or BD. BD's getting an awful lot of airplay over here (Ireland).
Old 02-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #37
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
Its gotta be "I threw a brick through a window"

Hands down.
Don't forget "Magic Carpet" and "11 O'Clock Tick Tock".

U-"Magic Carpet"-2. Nice ring to it.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #38
The Fly

Here in Italy the best known U2's song is One
Everybody here knows this song ,it's always among the firsts in the "best all time song" polls of the musical magazines.
Anyway With or Without you is well known too but One is more famous among younger people(14-20 years old)
I think BD will become another U2 classic...
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

When I mention U2 around my friends they all come up either Sweetest Thing or Elevation.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #40

Local Time: 09:23 PM
one