What should/would the NEW album sound like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retro

The Fly
What would you like the new album to sound like?

Should they make a 3rd album in the same vein as '..leave behind' and 'atomic bomb' ? Sort of like a closing chapter for an era.

OR

Should they switch gears completely? Perhaps try something new... What do you think it should sound like?

I like the actual U2 sound, despite there are many guys that say that they're repeating themselves and getting boring.
However, I wouldn't mind too to see U2 getting experimental or trying new influences. I'd like to see sounds and waves in the reaggae-rock or the asiatic influences, or maybe something in the mood of Fast Cars...

as always .. id like a more guitar oriented album, but it doesn't mean it has to be straight out rock n roll.

theyre into 60's music right now. Psychadelic is gonna be the next step. especially if its a tour ep. Psychadelic is pretty much whats left on the table. Theyve done just about everything else.

oh, and :drool:

I think they are going to stay the course they're on now. I hope that's not the case as I haven't enjoyed the past 2 albums as much as previous ones. I do think we will see some heavier guitar from Edge as well.

retro said:
....HRMM

they haven't touched heavy metal yet?

After every U2 concert, The Edge goes to a local club and poses as a death metal drummer.

i'm hoping a member of U2 will sign up at interference and give us an exclusive insight into how the next album's going to sound.....

gareth brown said:
i'm hoping a member of U2 will sign up at interference and give us an exclusive insight into how the next album's going to sound.....

I bet they'll pretend to be The Edge's cousin.

My personal wish would be to get something along the lines of the MDH soundtrack U2 songs. Ground beneath her feet, Stateless, Falling at your feet...

Given Bono's recent comments and Edge talking about being excited about innovations, I am thinking more like what Mercy and Fast cars are hinting at.

(he also said in an interview he has lots of riffs stockpiled, so maybe we will get the "rifforama" after all?)

Last edited:
I don't think the sound will change, because didnt they say that the HTDAAB sessions produced like 23 songs, and only half ended up on the album?

I hope that the talk about the new album won't be something like "the best thing they have ever done" or something else Bono is gonna start saying again. I think that he praised the bomb's greatness a bit too much, because if he promotes it as the best thing ever, people will be disappointed, no matter what the album is like. Nothing lives up to those kind of expectations..

here's a lesson about band PR 101.

Every new album is the best album they ever did. Do u you really think they are gonna go on camera and say "Well the album is pretty good, but I really like Achtung Baby better" ? Not gonna happen in this life time.

I want/hope for the album to sound heavy. Lets hear more hard sounds from the edge, I hope the album has alot of hard rock songs in the lines of LPOE or Bullet the blue sky but with a slighly more 90ish sound to these songs. If i get my way the album would have the following:

first song would be a hard but catchy rock song. Like Vertigo but harder and louder!

3 other hard rock songs (like bullet or LPOE)
2 Soft ballads (like one or SYCMIOYO)
3 90ish era style songs ( Like EBTTRT or The Fly! or even MOFO)
2 Very experimental songs (like Fast Cars but even more extreame)

so therefore we would have an album with 11 songs that is more hard rock oriented (like the 80's) but has some experimental sounds which touches on some of the things they've done in the 90's and yet has semilar sounds to HTDAAB

Now THAT would be my kina album like it or not :)

retro said:
here's a lesson about band PR 101.

Every new album is the best album they ever did. Do u you really think they are gonna go on camera and say "Well the album is pretty good, but I really like Achtung Baby better" ? Not gonna happen in this life time.

Actually, around the time ATYCLB came out Edge was asked (by Q magazine?) his U2 favorite album....He said Achtung Baby :p

I think an interesting thing they could do is make a Graceland-esque record like Paul Simon did in the '80s and go with a more tribal/African sound

congas and other instruments like that, it would really be interesting, like One Tree Hill

U2girl said:
My personal wish would be to get something along the lines of the MDH soundtrack U2 songs. Ground beneath her feet, Stateless, Falling at your feet...

Given Bono's recent comments and Edge talking about being excited about innovations, I am thinking more like what Mercy and Fast cars are hinting at.

(he also said in an interview he has lots of riffs stockpiled, so maybe we will get the "rifforama" after all?)

:drool: I agree entirely about the MDH soundtrack...some of U2's best work right there, I wish they'd explore it more!

I do think the next U2 album will be a little more experimental and a little more guitar oriented, but I don't know if we'll see a radical change until the following album. But we may. I am almost positive that U2 will not have this same sound forever. They will evolve as they have in the past. The current U2 is just a phase like any other in their career.

I think the new album will be faith/human rights based - which I have no problem with actually. It will be a mixture of sounds: a little reggae (every concert lately has this sound somewhere in it), Beatles/Lennon/Imagine song(s), and Moroccan/Spanish influence.

retro said:
Should they switch gears completely? Perhaps try something new... What do you think it should sound like?
Perhaps Edge attacking Bono with a chainsaw.

Back
Top Bottom