What Should U2 Do To Have Sure-Fire Success In 2005?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Here are my suggestions for U2's 2005 plans or new year's resolutions or whatever you want to call it:

1. Bono should quit smoking and work on his voice. His voice has greatly thinned and gotten raspy over the years and this can be attributed to too much nicotene (and maybe alcohol too). We don't want Bono sounding like Richard Butler after a few years.

2. U2 should rehearse well for their opening night. In the past tours in the last decade, all opening nights have been beset with problems, missed chords, or botched lyrics.

3. U2 should do more publicity stunts and appearances. While HTDAAB has gotten off to a great start, it doesn't look to match ATYCLB. Not as much Grammy nominations for the first single, no Superbowl invite, and no tragedy to cash-in on (ATYCLB had 9/11). U2 should start making more rounds on TV like Leno, Conan, Letterman - another SNL performance could help, an MTV Icon special would be great, and more secret shows (like Astoria, Manray, and Irving Plaza for the ATYCLB tour) could get them more exposure.

4. U2 should market their tour as a "farewell and greatest hits tour." If they do it this way, the public will think it is their last tour and will be willing to pay any price to see a departing rock legend like U2 play. This will enable U2 to have all their shows sold out, as well as to command really high ticket prices. This strategy will maximize profit for them. And if 4 years down the line, they will decide to tour again - they can always market it as a "reunion tour" which will still command top dollar. U2 are at an age where they can use the words "farewell" then subequently "reunion" to their advantage and to maximize profits. Barbara Streisand did a farewell tour a few years back and rumors abound that she will tour again. Streisand commanded top dollar for concert seats. U2 can start capitalizing on this when they get inducted to the Hall Of Fame.

5. U2 should start using creative means to pad their album sales. U2 could include something like for example a 50% discount coupon for their album in Best Buy for every concert ticket, or a $5 rebate coupon for every album purchased after the concert ticket date. Assuming they play to a tour to 4 million people, they could pad album sales by perhaps 2 million (you don't expect everyone to use their discount coupon/rebate). Also for those markets where U2 will not tour, starting their tour they can bundle their HTDAAB album with a free bonus live cd featuring their performances from the HTDAAB promo tour. This could bring in tour awareness, make U2 look like they love all their fans, and help the U2 image in general.

6. U2 should stick to a few pool of songs for their upcoming tour. During the Elevation Tour, U2 sang too many random songs which were unrehearsed or had little practice. They also had this gimmick of pulling someone from the audience to play the guitar. All these events made U2 look bad an unprofessional. In line with my suggestion to market this tour as a farewell tour, I suggest U2 limit their repertoire this year to all the songs off HTDAAB and the two Best Ofs - nothing more. No more cover songs, or obscure non-single or non-Best-Of songs. They should just stick to their bread and butter and play only songs that either promote their new album, or make their fans happy.

These are all I can think of right now off the top of my head. Anything else you guys might want to add to my list?

Cheers,

J

lazarus said:
I'm begging all of you, please, PLEASE don't respond seriously to this trolling material.

Just don't.

laz

Too late the deed is done..........

1. I remember reading Bono has reduced his smoking. Also, he sounds great on HTDAAB.

2. I'm sure U2 always rehears for their opening tours, and they often get good later on in the tour. By the way, Bono's voice went out on the opening night of Joshua Tree tour and that didn't seem to have any impact.

3. They did the Ipod deal and Itunes commercial - which seems to have done the trick more than any of the ATYCLB promo shows.
(can't let go of the 9/11 assumptions can you?)

4. U2 is at the stage now - and have been for years - where they are - except maybe US - virtually a guaranteed sell-out in venues around the world. They do not need the "last tour" rumors.

5. HTDAAB seems to be doing well in sales. Why would they need anything to boost their sales?

6. I prefer more songs, even if it means the risk of more mistakes, than less routine rehearsed songs. Considering what they did on Elevation and HTDAAB promo tour, I expect another tour with a more varied setlist.

<Sigh>

One day people will learn that Jick is just trying to get a rise out of people by making suggestions so far from reality they can't be serious.

Disappointed.

laz

I think U2 being on tour is good enough promotion to keep the album at a steady selling pace for 05. some of the stuff u mentioned is good tho such as

1.MTV icon special. they were supposed to get this award in 02 but where to busy, and MTV gave it to Aerosmith instead. so I'm sure they will recieve it soon. But expect the TRL bands to perform tho, cause thats what ICON shows are. MTV bands doing covers of the ICON honoree. In the past some of the artists have butchered the bands song. But it does give good exposer.

2. Superbowl. thats a 1 of a million chance considering U2 had there superbowl performance already. Its very RARE that a artist perform at a superbowl halftime show more than once.

3.Leno and Letterman i'd say is a sure bet SOMETIME in 05.

4. the rock n roll hall of fame is sure to get them some publicity.

5. some may hate it with a passion, but if they did a mash up with Eminem, it would no doubt be all over MTV and radio.

1. Bring concept art to their shows again. No more safe shows like Elevation Tour ones :tsk:

2. Given many fans, including me, think this HTDAAB is pretty much ATYCLB, they shouldn't play a lot of songs from this 2000 era:down: . I mean, they should give more variety to the setlist.

3. Talking about the setlist, this should be a different and risky one :up: . Because many fans, including me again, think this album is safe and commercial, the live performance should be the opposite, I mean, risky and different :heart: :yes:
Songs like Seconds, Exit, Zooropa, Mofo, Please, Dancing Barefoot, One Tree Hill, Lady With The Spinning Head, The First Time, Acrobat, Running To Stand Still, etc, should be there, instead of now boring and uninspired One, With Or Without You, Pride, Bad, Beautiful Day, Desire, I Will Follow, etc

4. All things seems to go to another Elevation Tour. That would be an artistic disaster. Fans are expecting a WHOLE NEW TOUR, given the album wasn't that different. I mean, WHOLE NEW, no another Elevation Tour neither another Zoo TV, nor Pop Mart, etc.
I know if the band go with another Elevation Tour they'll have a lot of tickets, because "it's the new U2 tour", as well happened with this album. But, like what's happening with this album ( despite some fans refuse to accept it ) , the tour eventually would give us a very bitter and dissapointing taste.

Anything Is Possible ;)

Peace :wave:

I don't want them to market it as a farewell and greatest hits tour unless it actually IS a farewell and greatest hits tour. I have no respect for acts that use such tactics to get more money out of their longstanding fans, and I would hope that U2 would not resort to doing this.

lazarus said:
<Sigh>

One day people will learn that Jick is just trying to get a rise out of people by making suggestions so far from reality they can't be serious.

Disappointed.

laz

actually, although i disagree with some of the things jick says, i've always found his opinions interesting, and he doesn't insult the people who disagree with him, like others have lived on doing.

Point #2 is not true. I was at the opening for Elevation and it was a good show. In fact, given what happened in Las Vegas for Popmart I had very low expectation. I was proven wrong. They were excellent.

Last edited:
ponkine said:
1. Bring concept art to their shows again. No more safe shows like Elevation Tour ones :tsk:

2. Given many fans, including me, think this HTDAAB is pretty much ATYCLB, they shouldn't play a lot of songs from this 2000 era:down: . I mean, they should give more variety to the setlist.

3. Talking about the setlist, this should be a different and risky one :up: . Because many fans, including me again, think this album is safe and commercial, the live performance should be the opposite, I mean, risky and different :heart: :yes:
Songs like Seconds, Exit, Zooropa, Mofo, Please, Dancing Barefoot, One Tree Hill, Lady With The Spinning Head, The First Time, Acrobat, Running To Stand Still, etc, should be there, instead of now boring and uninspired One, With Or Without You, Pride, Bad, Beautiful Day, Desire, I Will Follow, etc

4. All things seems to go to another Elevation Tour. That would be an artistic disaster. Fans are expecting a WHOLE NEW TOUR, given the album wasn't that different. I mean, WHOLE NEW, no another Elevation Tour neither another Zoo TV, nor Pop Mart, etc.
I know if the band go with another Elevation Tour they'll have a lot of tickets, because "it's the new U2 tour", as well happened with this album. But, like what's happening with this album ( despite some fans refuse to accept it ) , the tour eventually would give us a very bitter and dissapointing taste.

Anything Is Possible ;)

Please stop trolling.

lazarus said:
<Sigh>

Disappointed.

laz

I'd think only 4 and 5 are "far from reality" or the norm of what U2 always does. But 4 and 5 are just points of suggestion which U2 can adapt even if it's currently far from their current reality. Let's take my other points:

1. I think it is a valid suggestion for Bono to quit smoking.

2. U2 being well-prepared for opening night isn't that far flung as U2 always rehearse and prepare for their tours. I just suggested that it be a little more meticulous this time.

3. U2 have always been known for publicity stunts (lost laptop stunt, Edge lost cd in france stunt, Bono's save the world mileage) as well as TV appearances starting their last tour (Leno, Letterman, SNL, etc.) so I was just suggesting what kind of appearances and stunts to pull off for 2005.

6. During Zoo TV, U2 stuck to a shortlist of songs to play and had repetetive setlists save from a few lineup changes. So I don't think it is that far-flung to suggest that U2 stick to a small pool of songs as opposed to their Elevation Tour which had too many botched one-off songs.

So guys, keep those suggestions about your own ideas for U2's 2005 coming!

Cheers,

J

ponkine said:

Anything Is Possible ;)

Interesting ideas. Not exactly parallel to mine but very intriguing and might be nice to see U2 try out for 2005. But because I made them, I still kinda prefer my ideas over yours. Nice reply though and I just hope more can give constructive and well-thought out replies like yours.

Cheers,

J

I think for u2 to really be successful in the next year they have to release an album that goes to #1 in at least 20 countries, have their first single go #1 in the UK and #1 in the US in at least the rock charts, and get that single nominated for some grammy nominations.

oh wait, they already did that....:shrug:

Theflyshades04 said:
5. some may hate it with a passion, but if they did a mash up with Eminem, it would no doubt be all over MTV and radio.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH
*head explodes*

dano said:
...bring John Lennon and George Harrison back to life, and play as the openers for a Beatles reunion world tour. Its U2's only hope, trust me on this.

you forgot the fact that they desperately need to reinvent the wheel before anyone will take them seriously again!

I think U2 should start doing all their shows shirtless. Tickets would sell out instantly to rabid PLEBAns who would attend every show (of course, they'd have to sell their cars and houses and all those worldly posessions in order to get money, but that's okay). I know I would. :wink:

Seriously though, I don't think U2 needs to do anything in paticular to have sure-fire success - they're U2! They're on the cover of every magazine. They're on every other radio station. HTDAAB is doing great. All they need to do is tour and be U2. That'll be more than enough...

...though I still support the shirtless theory :D

Theflyshades04 said:

I can see it now. With Or Without You eminem style. :lmao: :censored: :rant:

the tourist said:

I can see it now. With Or Without You eminem style. :lmao: :censored: :rant:

There was a version of Eminem's Without Me with WOWY as the backing track floating around the net a few years back.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

There was a version of Eminem's Without Me with WOWY as the backing track floating around the net a few years back.

Cheers,

J

Wow. Thanks for the info. Although I've now lost all faith in music in general. :|

The only thing that springs to my mind is they should skip that whole acoustic set. Im tired of Bono/Edge doing Desire/Stay/Angel/Staring etc. Good songs, but play full band versions or just leave it.

That acoustic part has been done on three tours now, its time to come up with something different, like not to play any songs acoustic at all.

ponkine said:

Uh... not to respond to Jick's comments in any form... but I take issue with the "given many fans" remark.

Please - ONLY speak for yourself. I would never say that most fans are dying to hear JT or UF or HTDAAB or AB material. That's ridiculously presumptuous. You do not speak on behalf of most fans nor could you possibly know what most fans are thinking. For example, I could easily write that most fast can't wait to see HTDAAB songs live - but I don't know this. The next time you wish to speak on behalf of the very, VERY small group of people in your world, don't.

The tour serves one purpose - to advertise the new material. If you hate it, I strongly suggest you not attend the concert. And I'm not being trite - I don't attend the concerts of artists whose material I don't like.

JulioArca said:
The only thing that springs to my mind is they should skip that whole acoustic set. Im tired of Bono/Edge doing Desire/Stay/Angel/Staring etc. Good songs, but play full band versions or just leave it.

That acoustic part has been done on three tours now, its time to come up with something different, like not to play any songs acoustic at all.

I agree. The B-stage is tiring. It's time to let go of the acoustic moment of the concert.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom