What Should U2 Do To Have Sure-Fire Success In 2005?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JICK u talk some old rubbish! what a stupid thread and stupid ideas! get a life will u!!!!

the tourist said:
Release Love And Peace Or Else as a single.

And open the tour with it in a way that would embarass 'Zoo Station'. Put your faith in the bass!

Thr tragedy aspect - I disagree. Sometimes is being played in a number of countries in relation to the Tsunami disaster. Even here in Perth where I have not heard Vertigo played once, I have heard Sometimes played a number of times as soundtrack to Tsunami discussions / appeal ads, etc.

As for publicity stunts and appearances I would like it if U2 would appear on a tv show in my country. Hopefully when they tour they will do just that. I think theres a lot of people here who wouldnt even know U2 have a new album out.

As for No 6, the human jukebox proposition, I disagree. That may well make for a more polished performance but I think the shows would be lacking a spark as well. Its nice to hear the obscure and/or old songs. Even if they were to be unrehearshed, that just adds a life to the songs too.

The bread and butter casual fan would probably prefer a show the way you describe but I don't believe that would lead to increased sales except for perhaps Atomic Bomb.

(PS Sorry for the multiple posts my child keeps whacking the keyboard and deleting everything lol)

Hey,

Sorry for the poor joke beli. The 'joke' was only meant for Jick. It's always negativism when he posts...
I hope every U2-fan will once be able to see them. unfortunately this is not going to happen. And i agree U2 should do more concerts in other parts of the world. Africa, Asia, South america, in stead of a second leg in North america...

beli said:

As a fan who also lives somewhere U2 probably wont be playing I find your joke in poor taste.

I don't think it is in poor taste. He was just stating a fact and to be honest it is too bad for me U2 aren't coming. And it's not in poor taste because it wasn't a personal attack or anything derogatory.

I've had to go all the way to New Jersey to catch Popmart. For this year's tour, perhaps I'll try to go to Europe - we'll see.

But even if I live in an area where U2 won't visit, I still feel in community with the U2 fans and feel they should be exposed to the best shows possible. Hence my sure-fire suggestions to star this thread - a number of which dealt with their live shows this year.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
and no tragedy to cash-in on (ATYCLB had 9/11).

Cheers,

J

I was able to ignore this post for a few days, but it has gotten to me.

Jick, some of your threads are amusing and clever, and even funny at times. But this one is in extremely poor taste. EXTREMELY poor taste. If you honestly think that about the band, you're not a U2 fan. Period.

A person can not like Pop, not like ATYCLB, not like Larry's drumming on a particular song, not like Bono's delivery of certain lines, etc., but to accuse U2 of using a national tragedy to make more money? If I thought that about U2, I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more of their records. What a horrible, disgusting thought.

If you believe that, Jick, I don't honestly know how you can still be a fan of U2. Because that would be a pretty despicable act on U2's part. I doubt you even do believe it. There's a pattern in your posts, my man. You have a formula. A tired one.

You will write a post that is 98 percent normal/unoffensive, and then somewhere within it, you will slip in something like the above - a little punch in the face that you know will get on people's nerves. And it's bullshit.

I suppose this is a democratic forum, and I suppose people are allowed free speech. But this sort of bait and switch should not be tolerated any longer. Not to mention the fact that Jick is accusing U2 of having exploited thousands of grieving Americans who were still reeling from a national tragedy. I for one will not stand by and let this sort of thing be said about my favorite band. Bono, and the rest of the members of U2, are charitable, hardworking guys, who do more than their share of humanitarian work. You know this, Jick. It's not even worth writing about all of the charitable work Bono has done over the last 20 years, because you're already aware of it. Yet you still write this utter shit. And for what? To piss off some good natured U2 fans? Find a better way to use your time.

-Mike

Re: Re: What Should U2 Do To Have Sure-Fire Success In 2005?

Miggy D said:

I was able to ignore this post for a few days, but it has gotten to me.

Jick, some of your threads are amusing and clever, and even funny at times. But this one is in extremely poor taste. EXTREMELY poor taste. If you honestly think that about the band, you're not a U2 fan. Period.

My statements you quote were made December 28. That was before I voluntarily submitted to a mod's private suggestion that I refrain from mentioning that tragic date again. And I have come clean since then. So I think your overreaction is a quite "delayed" (for lack of a better term).

And just to explain for the nth time, I have always used the term "cash-in" in reference to U2 not in an opportunistic context but in a context that people actually took solace from the album post-tragedy and the sales skyrocketed (which meant royalties for U2 of course hence the "cash-in" phrase). ATYCLB helped so many people cope and it is a beautiful album. So "cash-in" may not exactly be the correct term but people have always understood my context and have not given me the reactions you have. Being from a different country, I may not be well-versed to use to exact terms that may please the ears and cash-in may just not have fit your ear well.

But I do understand where you are coming from and your extreme sensitivity, really.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom