What Should Be U2's Tsunami Concert Setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Ok, while many here would rather not have U2 perform in a Tsunami Victim Benefit Concert (for fear U2 will be ridiculed), and it is not yet confirmed if U2 will support Live Aid 2 or any other similar concert - let's just fantasize for a bit.

If U2 were to play such a concert, and they'd be limited to 3 songs only (or 3 songs and a snippet of one song kinda like Peace On Earth on Tribute To Heroes or MLK in Superbowl) what would you want their setlist to be?

I'm not just asking about a setlist for any benefit gig for any cause, I am specifically asking for the tsunami disaster. So what songs do you think would be fitting?

Here's mine:

Vertigo
One
Bad

I just had to put Vertigo there because they should at least play a new album song and none is more recognizable than Vertigo.

So let me know your setlists.

Cheers,

J

U2girl said:
One
Where the streets have no name
Beautiful day

I think that's too close to the Superbowl Setlist, so U2 might be viewed as being repetetive. I also think a new album song should be there.

And closing with Beautiful Day is quite odd considering the day is nothing but beautiful for the poor Asians. But since U2 will probably be singing to a Western audience, Beautiful Day could actually be a good closer if it is interpreted along the lines of the same meaning as Bono's "tonight thank God it's them instead of you" as he addresses his Western audience. So perhaps BD is a good choice.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers,

J

I think those would be good representatives of U2's music: the sadness of One, the anthemic Where the streets have no name and the uplifting Beautiful day.
That is why I picked those, also each one of those is a well known U2 song. I'm not sure they'd play any new songs.

I just thought about it, lyrically Electrical Storm might be a good fit.

"The sea it swells like this sore head."

The song (and even the video) seems to evoke an atmosphere of an empty desolate beach.

Ok, so I take out Bad from my original setlist, put Electrical Storm second, and One last.

Cheers,

J

The unforgettable water ("This is a song, called The Unforgettable Fire. Today, we changed the title. We'll never forget the water.")
Electrical Storm
Walk on

MaxFisher said:
Party Girl
Babyface
Mofo

Wow, quite and eclectic choice there but I think I can read through your underlying reasons:

Party Girl - to contemplate the beach party along the Asian beaches, especially considering it was Christmas time?

Babyface - the songg inspired by U2's hanging out with supermodels Campbell and Turlington during ZOO TV, perhaps re-interpreted now as a reference to supermodel survivor Petra Nemcova

Mofo - Bono speaking to his dearly departed mother, just like many survivors and children who have lost their mothers are doing now.

Impressive song selection, but I am not sure the live audience will be able to "grasp" that choice of songs.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I think that's too close to the Superbowl Setlist, so U2 might be viewed as being repetetive. I also think a new album song should be there.

And closing with Beautiful Day is quite odd considering the day is nothing but beautiful for the poor Asians. But since U2 will probably be singing to a Western audience, Beautiful Day could actually be a good closer if it is interpreted along the lines of the same meaning as Bono's "tonight thank God it's them instead of you" as he addresses his Western audience. So perhaps BD is a good choice.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers,

J

Considering the Superbowl was in America and this concert is in Cardiff to a majority of non U2 fans I don't think that will be an issue.

Also I wouldn't think they'd play Beautiful Day, more likely One and other protest or sombre songs to reflect the mood after the disaster. If it means they help raise more money for the victims they could play Polka Dot Bikini for all I care.

Streets
Please
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Bad

Last edited:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock(Sad song, sad song)
Mothers Of The Disappeared
One
If God Will Send His Angels
Walk On
One Step Closer
"40"

namkcuR said:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock(Sad song, sad song)
Mothers Of The Disappeared
One
If God Will Send His Angels
Walk On
One Step Closer
"40"

Whoa! That's a little too many songs there. U2 will probably be kicked out of the stage after One. But I like your idea of Mothers Of The Disappeared, it does seem to fit also.

Cheers,

J

uwwedoogie said:
sometimes/streets
one
pride

I agree with this list. I think I'd rather see Sometimes, than Streets, however. It would fit the occasion better.

U2girl said:
I think those would be good representatives of U2's music: the sadness of One, the anthemic Where the streets have no name and the uplifting Beautiful day.
That is why I picked those, also each one of those is a well known U2 song. I'm not sure they'd play any new songs.

I agree, but still think BD would be very distasteful, and I don't think even U2 would be confident enough to play that knowing that the audience would take it in good faith.

Sometimes you can't make it on your own
One
Walk On

I think all three of these have very appropriate messages for this context. :heart:

yes I too think sometimes rather than streets is more appropriate; more somber and more applicable lyrics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom