What should be U2's closing song in their farewell concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Someday U2 will eventually go. I'd rather have them go by mutually agreeing to call it a day rather then go because of internal squabble or death of a member. So if I have my way and have U2 quit because they want to, they should surely have a farewell concert for the fans.

My suggestion would be they have their farewell concert in Dublin, and make it a 3-day U2 weekend festival, where they will do three straight nights of three hour shows where they will basically play their entire catalog of songs. Of course before U2 actually takes the stage each night, they will have special musical guests who will be front acts.

Anyway, for their final show ever, what do you think should be their last song?

The sentimental vote goes to 40, but it seems message-wise One might be a better final song. But I'd still go with 40.

What about you guys? What do you want U2's last live song ever to be?

Cheers,

J

"Pride"

"One more in the name of love!"

After they laid us low and said goodbye, we'd all chant that until U2 came back on stage for one more: "40"

:cool:

I threw a brick through a window.

What a way to finish, with one of u2's most obscure, but sensational, tracks!

Pride would be good, One would be much appreciated.

Out of Control maybe?

Maybe it will be something we havent heard yet.

jick said:
Someday U2 will eventually go. I'd rather have them go by mutually agreeing to call it a day rather then go because of internal squabble or death of a member. So if I have my way and have U2 quit because they want to, they should surely have a farewell concert for the fans.

My suggestion would be they have their farewell concert in Dublin, and make it a 3-day U2 weekend festival, where they will do three straight nights of three hour shows where they will basically play their entire catalog of songs. Of course before U2 actually takes the stage each night, they will have special musical guests who will be front acts.

Anyway, for their final show ever, what do you think should be their last song?

The sentimental vote goes to 40, but it seems message-wise One might be a better final song. But I'd still go with 40.

What about you guys? What do you want U2's last live song ever to be?

Cheers,

J

I like your idea

I actually don't think U2 are the kind of band to ever play a 'very last show'. However, if they did, the final song, without a doubt, would be 40.

"40" would be good, but also "One", 'cause it's become a kind of U2's hymn, "Walk On" would do well because of the title and "Out of Control"- ending with their first single, that would create a kind of a frame.

you know what's bad with being a fan of a group which members are twice as old as UR? (like it's in my case this year). the very probable thing is that i'll live longer than them and so i will have to see deaths of all the men of my life.

i know it's very pesimistic, but that's what came to my mind recently. God! i think i have to get drunk or sth- i'll have better mood then and the world will be more colourfull. but first it should stop raining!

He said in an interview during Popmart that the 'last song' would be 'Amazing Grace'

That would be very fitting, Jim. My thought, before reading your comment, was "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," which is, IMO, the essence of U2.

Jim said:
He said in an interview during Popmart that the 'last song' would be 'Amazing Grace'

Well, that was during POPMart and before U2 wrote the song Grace. Since U2 wrote Grace, which takes Amazing Grace to a deeper more Christian level - I think U2 would rather play their own Grace than Amazing Grace if they had to do the ultimate closing song.

Cheers,

J

UnforgettableLemon said:
you know who started the "what if this is U2's last album thread"

jick, you're pretty darned pessmistic, arentcha?

I never started a thread like that. I started a thread that asked "would HTDAAB be a good last album, if ever?". So perhaps you confused that thread I started with the one you are referring to.

Cheers,

J

Axver said:
I actually don't think U2 are the kind of band to ever play a 'very last show'.

So if they won't play a "very last show," what does your crystal ball tell you? U2 just stopping to tour and say "oh by the way the most recent show we had two years ago was our last"? Or perhaps U2 disbanding after bitter arguments about money and ego (kinda like the Police who never officially announced any last show)? Or a memer of U2 prematurely losing his life and ending the existence of the band? I think when you say U2 would never play a very last show, you could be either overly pessimistic/negative or quite morbid. I hope you're not and that I just misunderstood you.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Well, that was during POPMart and before U2 wrote the song Grace. Since U2 wrote Grace, which takes Amazing Grace to a deeper more Christian level - I think U2 would rather play their own Grace than Amazing Grace if they had to do the ultimate closing song.

Cheers,

J

takes Amazing Grace to a deeper more christian level?!

I disagree. They are totally different songs.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

:wave: Jick

While I agree that Grace does seems to take Amazing Grace to a much deeper level....I think I also read before that Amazing Grace is Bono's favorite song....just a thought. Either way I definetly argree with you on your point--when U2 goes out, it'll be with hallelujah's without a doubt.

Allow me to add nothing to the conversation by reiterating what a few have said already (;) ): "Walk On" or "40", maybe "Pride."

I don't know about "One" being the last ever, but I think it would be one of the last three songs played.

Last edited:
I think One would be played, then Walk On, and as they're leaving the stage (the thought of it makes me sad) the crowd would spontaneously start singing "40", or actually "How long to sing this song?" And everyone would keep singing until it slowly fades as everyone realizes that its over for good.

Pearl said:
I think One would be played, then Walk On, and as they're leaving the stage (the thought of it makes me sad) the crowd would spontaneously start singing "40", or actually "How long to sing this song?" And everyone would keep singing until it slowly fades as everyone realizes that its over for good.

:sad:

So touching and so depressing at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom