What puzzles me about HTDAAB - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:53 PM
What puzzles me about HTDAAB

I really enjoy the album the way it is, but it puzzles why they couldnt have thrown in a couple more songs to make it longer. Especially the following two songs which I think are great:

Mercy
Are you Gonna Wait Forever

They really would have added to the overall quality of the album, and neither of those songs should ever be a B side, even though one of them already is.

Sken

Old 02-26-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:53 PM
They always only have 11 or maximum 12 songs on an album.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Yeah, it's more quality over quantity. Though I must say I really like both of those songs.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:53 AM
You can blame the rhythm section for most of it. Adam and Larry seem to have a very much old-school pop mentality and they like to trim the fat. And unfortunately, U2 is a democracy, but it's also has to be unanimous, from what I understand.

So I guess they didnt see dropping off a song about Bono's dad (One Step Closer) over a song that seems almost improvised, even though its brilliant (Mercy). We can make comparisons about which songs would or should have been added/dropped.

The point is, they werent going to ADD any because of the "less is more" mentality, which to me is almost insulting as a long time fan who has over 700 CD's and I'd bet 3/4 of them are an hour or over. So it's not so much about sales (some of it is), it's more about being shorter and to the point, whereas a lot of musi cbuffs like myself, like as much music as can be possibly crammed onto a disc. If I ever released an album, it would be pushing 78 minutes, guaranteed. Don't like some of the tracks? Skip them.

it was going to be 11 tracks/45 minutes (give or take) no matter what. That's what I gather from years of reading about their quarrels. Bono and Edge seem to be more risky, as far as taking those challenges, putting certain songs on the record.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Refugee

I see what you mean, its a real shame they are sticking to that philosophy. I want as much U2 as I can get, and the more I can get the better. Even their mediocre stuff is better than a lot of music nowadays, however those 2 mentioned songs I dont consider mediocre.

I just hope Mercy is on the next album, or they are game enough to do a Rattle and Hum style cd of this new tour, so we get a 2nd album with some new songs and some live ones sooner rather than later.

Sken
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Didn't Bono really want Mercy on the record? Also, it looks like he lost out and Edge got his way with the tracklist---didn't Bono say in an interview that "you can't have a slow song as the second song"? And considering, The Bomb is probably U2's worst track order job in their history, I'd have to agree.

We all *lovingly* give Bono shit around here, but I think he was right on both counts...

Mercy
Old 02-27-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I would think Bono won with the track order as Miracle Drug is not a slow song.

The album originally had 13 songs and was over an hour long and the guys - Bono in particular, but they all agreed in the end - said quality over quantity.
Are you gonna wait forever is a B-side IMO, though Mercy has great potential. It's good we got to hear both of them, on album or not.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Compared to "Vertigo", I guess "Miracle Drug" is a slow song. Does this hurt or help the playlist? It's questionable. Every album could be rearranged. For example, back in 1987, I felt "Bullet" completely ruined the atmosphere created by "Streets", "Still Haven't" and "With or Without You" that I wound up turning JT off after the first three songs! In my mind, "Bullet" was in the wrong spot. Correspondingly, there are many who feel that JT should've been a double album and want to include the "proper" album set list.

My point is that the album list is what it is and while we can all argue for changes, it won't ever change. That said, I feel HTDAAB has one of the strongest U2 album lists ever - so again, subjectivity plays a big role.

I agree with U2girl, "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" is a great b-side. It's a new song and it's rocking - perfect for "Vertigo". "Mercy", though, should've replaced "One Step Cloeer". Hopefully we'll see "Mercy" as a b-side, if nothing else, soon enough. As this song is already out on the 'net, U2 should just officially release it.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

mercy is overrated, but its a good tune...are you gonna wait forever? its a good bside but thats all. im glad that one is not on the album
Old 02-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

My point is that the album list is what it is and while we can all argue for changes, it won't ever change.
That's true. But HTDAAB still sounds awkward in certain places. So for what it's worth, here's my current track order.

1. vertigo
2. miracle drug
3. sometimes
4. city
5. original
6. yahweh
7. all because of you
8. crumbs
9. man/woman
10.fast cars
11.love and peace
12.one step closer

Haven't yet heard Mercy. Cannot find it on the internet.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
The Fly

1. vertigo
2. all because of you
3. sometimes you can't make it.....
4. city of blinding lights
5. miracle drug
6. crumbs from your table
7. love and peace or else
8. a man and a woman
9. yahweh
10. original of the spicies
11. one step closer
<hidden track> fast cars

dream tracklist:
1.yahweh <if it was a bit faster, streets-like tempo>
2. native son
3. all because of you
4. love and peace or else
5. miracle drug
6. city of blinidng lights
7. xanax and wine
8. crumbs for you table
9. original of the spicies
10. sometimes
11. one step closer to knowing
Old 02-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
Refugee

AYGWF? is definitely not album quality..Mercy on the other hand is tied with Sometimes...' as my favourite song from this era, its just fantastic, and might have been a good opener for HTDAAB.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Just downloaded Mercy and listening to it right now. Sounds awesome but maybe they didn't put it on the album because the pace is kinda like City of Blinding Lights.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
AYGWF? is definitely not album quality..Mercy on the other hand is tied with Sometimes...' as my favourite song from this era, its just fantastic, and might have been a good opener for HTDAAB.
I agree, AGWF may be a b-side...
While Mercy is indeed very good, however i wouldn't put it on The Bomb...it just doesn't belong there, at the same time,it's too good to be a b-side. I think they may use it later for a film or something like that.
By the way, "Beautiful Ghost" sounds like a perfect song for a movie, it's a bery dark, moody piece...
I'd like to see U2 going into that direction...
Songs a'la MDH with stonger guitars...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
The Fly

BTW, didn't Bono say that during the Leave Behind sessions they have recorded a powerful songs going in "exit-like territories"..?
I'd love to hear that...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Marr

By the way, "Beautiful Ghost" sounds like a perfect song for a movie, it's a bery dark, moody piece...
I'd like to see U2 going into that direction...
Songs a'la MDH with stonger guitars...
Beatiful ghost is from the joshua tree sessions,isn't it? I read it somewhere. So it is a old song
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Marr
BTW, didn't Bono say that during the Leave Behind sessions they have recorded a powerful songs going in "exit-like territories"..?
I'd love to hear that...

I've never seen that quote.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #18
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER

Beatiful ghost is from the joshua tree sessions,isn't it? I read it somewhere. So it is a old song

According to the Complete U2 booklet, yes.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 02-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
For example, back in 1987, I felt "Bullet" completely ruined the atmosphere created by "Streets", "Still Haven't" and "With or Without You" that I wound up turning JT off after the first three songs! In my mind, "Bullet" was in the wrong spot.
I still think it's in the wrong spot. It's really disruptive in its placement.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:53 AM
"Bullet" is supposed to be disruptive. Edge isn't dropping bombs through his amplifier to put you to sleep, you know. If you want a record full of sappy ballads, I hear Michael Bolton has a new album out.

If people here had their way, we'd have incomplete songs like "Are You Gonna Wait Forever?", "Mercy," and "Xanax and Wine" on Bomb. I think this album has one of their worst tracklistings ever, but man, you guys always remind me how much worse it could've been.