what makes you an elite u2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Do you treat those who are not members of Interference, wire (back in the day) or Propaganda any differently than a U2 fan who is not a member of a fan club? Do you feel that there is an elite group formed by websites or fan clubs that unconciously snub those who are not?

I think maybe the newbies, and younger fans, may get that some time. But I've been at message boards with some of those who were fans since day 1, they don't really snub other fans.

isabelle_guns said:
Do you treat those who are not members of Interference, wire (back in the day) or Propaganda any differently than a U2 fan who is not a member of a fan club? Do you feel that there is an elite group formed by websites or fan clubs that unconciously snub those who are not?

No.
Why?

I think U2 fans have to be some of the nicest, accepting, most un-snobby people I've ever met. So I don't really see any 'elite groups' being formed.

I am asking 'cause I used to be memebers of a lot of message boards were groups were formed and the newbies were shunned out as if they didn't matter and i had to work to get in and belong. I was just wondering that is all and I can tell that so far people on interference have been accepting me with open arms so thanks.

I remember when I had AOL and I went to the U2 message boards around the time ATYCLB was coming out, I'd state an opinion (I wasn't that impressed with ATYCLB at the time) and people would attack me like I was a murderer or something. It shoed me what close minded idiots people can be. It actually made me hesitant about joining up here but I'm glad I did because one's opinion is actually heard on these boards, not attacked (all the time any way).

Oh, and, per aboves response...I am Bono.

I would never treat a non-website involved U2 fan any differently - lord knows I know plenty, and they just don't have time to be on the internet as often I as am. :)

I think there's always going to be that pocket of people out there who really find personal value in shunning others as a way to feel better about themselves. Even some U2 fans are like that. But like others here have said, U2 fans are generally some of the sweetest, most loving and giving people you will meet.

All you really need to do to be a big fan is buy and listen to the records. All the posters, pictures, t-sh irts, etc aren't jackshit. It's the records.

There are always those who think they are better than others. I dont think its quite as bad here as it is with alot of other bands message boards from what I have seen. I think there are some cliques here just like anywhere when you get a large group of people together in person or on the net. No fan is better than any other fan though. Some may have more knowledge of the band or have been following them longer but that doesnt make them better. In some ways I'am envious of those who have just discovered U2. Its a great feeling that you only get to experience once typically. The same can be said for seeing them live for the first time (one of the greatest feelings IMO). I look at it from the perspective of someone who has followed U2 since the 80's as a fun thing to share what I know about the band with newbies and get their reactions to things as they will have a fresh perspective on it. Plus you can assist them in becoming even bigger fans by pointing to songs, concerts, facts, etc. they may not know that will make them appreciate the band even more.

Regarding what someone else said above about criticizing. I see criticizing as fine as long as you have a point and back it up with reasons. Typically the problems start when someone just comes in to start trouble with the "U2 sucks" or "the album sucks" comments with nothing else to say. By the same token those that think U2 can do no wrong really arent contributing alot either. If people attack you for your legitimate opinions then it is their problem not yours. Its the internet and with the number of people with interest in U2 that come here you are going to get some bad apples unfortunately but I think the majority are fairly receptive.

One of my U2 friends kind of summed it up in general about the U2 fanbase. We were in the GA line in Chicago on the first leg. A little kid was riding his bike down the road and fell and hurt himself. Several U2 fans rushed out there to help him and make sure he was ok. My friend made the comment to me later that if this was a Metallica show that kid would still be sitting in the street. I think that incident sums up what most U2 fans are like in general compared to alot of other artists fans (no offense Metallica fans, just an example).

Last edited:
isabelle_guns said:

Nope.... I don't discriminate. Everyone is welcome to try some of the blue crack ;)

I dont feel that there IS an elite group, but there are surely a few groups that THINK they are elite.

The reason I first started the site, Interference.com (which actually originally was called 'The Flys Lair'), 10 YEARS ago was because I was new to the Internet U2 fan sites/chats.... and I was being treated rudely, excluded, and people wouldnt share information on the band I loved. They wanted to horde U2 all to themselves. They pissed me off. So I set out to create the ultimate U2 site for fans, where infomation, and the love for U2 could be shared, and new fans, as well as old, would be welcome. The result... the dispersed minority became the unified majority, and the elitists became the minority.. and ran off to hide in private mailing lists amongst themselves.

Lesson to be learned: If you're an elitist schmuck, go hide in your cave.

No, I've never encountered a noticeable amount of "I'm a better U2 fan then you are" bullshit here at Interference. I've seen it at other non-U2 sites though.

We U2 fans are just too sweet! :cute:

Blue Room said:

One of my U2 friends kind of summed it up in general about the U2 fanbase. We were in the GA line in Chicago on the first leg. A little kid was riding his bike down the road and fell and hurt himself. Several U2 fans rushed out there to help him and make sure he was ok. My friend made the comment to me later that if this was a Metallica show that kid would still be sitting in the street. I think that incident sums up what most U2 fans are like in general compared to alot of other artists fans (no offense Metallica fans, just an example).

That is the sweetest thing I have read and it made me cry just now...wow

Re: Re: what makes you an elite u2 fan?

Elvis said:

Nope.... I don't discriminate. Everyone is welcome to try some of the blue crack ;)

I dont feel that there IS an elite group, but there are surely a few groups that THINK they are elite.

The reason I first started the site, Interference.com (which actually originally was called 'The Flys Lair'), 10 YEARS ago was because I was new to the Internet U2 fan sites/chats.... and I was being treated rudely, excluded, and people wouldnt share information on the band I loved. They wanted to horde U2 all to themselves. They pissed me off. So I set out to create the ultimate U2 site for fans, where infomation, and the love for U2 could be shared, and new fans, as well as old, would be welcome. The result... the dispersed minority became the unified majority, and the elitists became the minority.. and ran off to hide in private mailing lists amongst themselves.

Thank you, I am nervous about joining clubs 'cause have been shunned and treated horribly and I see this as a really good site and I like what you have done.

Blue Room said:
My friend made the comment to me later that if this was a Metallica show that kid would still be sitting in the street. I think that incident sums up what most U2 fans are like in general compared to alot of other artists fans (no offense Metallica fans, just an example).

Your friend used a horrible stereotype that annoys and bothers a lot of heavy metal fans like myself. And it?s impossible not to feel offended by that. But I understand that maybe your friend wanted to take another extreme in music to relate with what happened there but he is wrong. Just had to say that.

Elvis said:

:bow:

I never say for how long I am a U2 fan (you can see on the other thread that I only say which was my first U2 record I bought) cause I was really mistreated at zootopia for not being a fan since U2 had their first single out, that happened some time ago before I started being an active member of Interference. So that incident made me a little shy about answering questions as "how long have you been a fan?" cause sometime I feel like I've been a U2 fan all of my life. I'm a fan since 1999 and some people think I've been a fan for much longer time (some people also think I'm a woman though..... DAMN YOU PLEBA for being so entertaining!!). Cause when I REALLY like something I go deep into it and become a obsessive about it, this happened with U2 for me. My favorite band EVER!!!!

As for elitism at msg boards-yes, it does exist. I think it has to do w/ someone's motive for being on a msg board as opposed to what type of U2 fan they are. If people are going to be like that-stick to a clique and shun you, I think it's a waste of time to try to associate w/ them anyway and why would you want to if they're like that? :shrug:

Don't kill me for saying this :wink: , but there are some not-so-nice U2 fans, just because there are some not-so-nice people in the general population.

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:

Your friend used a horrible stereotype that annoys and bothers a lot of heavy metal fans like myself. And it?s impossible not to feel offended by that. But I understand that maybe your friend wanted to take another extreme in music to relate with what happened there but he is wrong. Just had to say that.

Ok, whatever, its your perogative, but I also think people look to be offended these days and thats just as sad. I go to hard rock shows also. I enjoy some of that music and concerts. Lets just say the crowd has a different demeanor on the whole from a U2 show. Its not a stereotype, its just a fact.

Last edited:
Wasn't there an 'invite only' U2 mailing list called Exit? That's about as snobbish as you can get isn't it?

I've met some horrible pushy fans at concerts over the years...apart from that everybody's great!

Having been on many lists and boards the last 3 years, I can say I know what you're talking about. There is an 'elitist' attiitude among some people, and certain 'types' of fans are not always welcome in some places. It's not always the newbies, I remember a time when old timers who liked the band pre-AB were dissed! There has also been the old 'good and bad fan' thing, and different people's definition of it. I haven't been on it, so I don't know, but I have heard u2exit is a very elitist mailing list that actually refuses membership to some!

I think some people are mor eobsessed with U2 than others. Certainly there are some people who just like to listen to U2 and aren't really interested in discussing them on message boards and such, then there are those who go to Dublin to try and stalk Bono. However I don't think this shows that one is a better or worse fan than others, but rather just a degree of how much that person likes the band...

TheBrazilianFly said:

I never say for how long I am a U2 fan (you can see on the other thread that I only say which was my first U2 record I bought) cause I was really mistreated at zootopia for not being a fan since U2 had their first single out, that happened some time ago before I started being an active member of Interference. So that incident made me a little shy about answering questions as "how long have you been a fan?" cause sometime I feel like I've been a U2 fan all of my life. I'm a fan since 1999 and some people think I've been a fan for much longer time (some people also think I'm a woman though..... DAMN YOU PLEBA for being so entertaining!!). Cause when I REALLY like something I go deep into it and become a obsessive about it, this happened with U2 for me. My favorite band EVER!!!!

I have been treated off by some message boards 'cause I wasn't a fan since the beginning. A fan is a Fan, no matter how long.

That's true :yes: I am always excited by new fans coming to U2 and I welcome them!

But I have experienced the opposite problem, a lot of time the old timers get dissed and made fun of, especially if they don't like Pop. Some people who started liking the band in the 90's don't like the fans who were there since the beginning, or came to the band any time in the 80's. :grumpy: I've never had a problem with any fan who started liking the band in 2000 or later. But it's all so crazy, we are all fans no matter how long we liked the bandd or which albums we like or don't like.

Last edited:
I never say for how long I am a U2 fan (you can see on the other thread that I only say which was my first U2 record I bought) cause I was really mistreated at zootopia for not being a fan since U2 had their first single out, that happened some time ago before I started being an active member of Interference. So that incident made me a little shy about answering questions as "how long have you been a fan?" cause sometime I feel like I've been a U2 fan all of my life. I'm a fan since 1999 and some people think I've been a fan for much longer time (some people also think I'm a woman though..... DAMN YOU PLEBA for being so entertaining!!). Cause when I REALLY like something I go deep into it and become a obsessive about it, this happened with U2 for me. My favorite band EVER!!!! [/B]

Huh? Really. I joined zootopia (about a month after it went up, in late 2001), and I dunno, to me it felt like there were a lot of newbies, like myself.

Hehe, then I just started posting in the band members' folders, mostly just posts, linking to some interview someone did, (usually Adam, cos I suppose I'm more easily drawn to underdog types).

btw, I can't believe Adam once fell asleep in a roundabout in England. :ohmy:

'Spose I was a little intimidated by Interference, so I was lurker for the longest time, as I wasn't even sure how message boards worked.

I just kinda bounce around at different U2 forums, non-U2 forums, whatever looks interesting.

I think all U2 fans are elite or elitist.

U2's music targets the intellectual elitist crowd. U2's music is for the rich, or the working class at worst. U2's music is for the educated. U2's lyrics are vague, they talk in riddles. One has to analyze their songs to actually grasp the music. U2's songs aren't straightforward.

U2 writes about viewing the world from the eyes of an intellectual, and then uses analogy or figurative language to describe the events or relationships. Whereas a band that has a less elitist target market would just say it straightforward.

Also, U2 views events through the "new media" or through the news (I can't believe the news today) or through satellite television. Babyface, for example, talks about the using the remote control. These are luxuries in life not all the people in the ghettos and the slum can relate to.

That is why U2's music doesn't appeal too much to the blacks. There are few blacks in a U2 concert. The direct approact to lyrics that doesn't require analysis is done by the rappers and hip-hoppers. And they write from the point of view of the person actually in the mud, not from the point of view of someone in the ivory tower seeing the mud and giving his own philosophical discourse about it.

So my answer to the original question in this post is that if you are a U2 fan, you are automatically elite. U2's music is designed specifically to appeal to the elite anyway.

The overly elitist fans look down on people who like everyday user-friendly direct music like rap, hip-hop, bubblegum pop, or Avril or Bon Jovi. They only like their own high-brow music like Radiohead, Coldplay, Beck, REM, Dream Theater, etc. while they riducule those who like the simpler music like Hanson, Britney or Eminem.

The normal U2 fans are elite but they aren't elitist. They may be up on a pedestal compared to fans of other music because they are probably more analytical and better educated, but they don't look down at fans of a different musical market segment.

Cheers,

J

Jick I swear, your post was fine until you used your racial slur.

Keep it up and we'll remove all your privileges. I know you dont see anything wrong with this, but many do. This is the stuff I talked about a while ago. It's not appropriate and not welcome.

People please keep on topic and dont drag this on. Jick if you have any questions, email me or Elvis or any of the others. There's nothing to debate or argue about here. It just simply isn't appropriate. So stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom