what makes you an elite u2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thrillme said:

Huh? Really. I joined zootopia (about a month after it went up, in late 2001), and I dunno, to me it felt like there were a lot of newbies, like myself.

Hehe, then I just started posting in the band members' folders, mostly just posts, linking to some interview someone did, (usually Adam, cos I suppose I'm more easily drawn to underdog types).

Yes really. I would mostly stay at General Discussion and I guess that was my mistake, but I would only stay there cause all the other forums on the site never had many people and to engage in a conversation would always take too long for me. Plus I don?t like to talk only about one member of the band. It was my fault too to stay there for so long though.... I was afraid of having to start all over again in another site even though I wasn?t enjoying Zootopia at all, in my mind I didn't think there could be a bigger and better forum than the actual forum from the official U2 site.... boy was I wrong. :wink:

Blue Room said:
In some ways I'am envious of those who have just discovered U2. Its a great feeling that you only get to experience once typically. The same can be said for seeing them live for the first time (one of the greatest feelings IMO). I look at it from the perspective of someone who has followed U2 since the 80's as a fun thing to share what I know about the band with newbies and get their reactions to things as they will have a fresh perspective on it. Plus you can assist them in becoming even bigger fans by pointing to songs, concerts, facts, etc. they may not know that will make them appreciate the band even more.

:yes:. As one of the newer fans you're referring to, I appreciate any help in increasing my U2 knowledge. I also particularly like the part about hearing our perspective on things, since we're newer and will see things differently. :).

Personally, I hold some envy for those who've been fans since the beginning, simply because I look at some of the early concert footage on TV and everything and I just think it would've been awesome to see them when they were first starting out. And then of course there's the various other things I've missed out on because I wasn't born yet or was too little to witness them (like Live Aid and the ZooTV tour and stuff like that). But hey, being a newer fan is perfectly fine, too. I'm just happy to be a part of the fun. :D.

Originally posted by Blue Room
We were in the GA line in Chicago on the first leg. A little kid was riding his bike down the road and fell and hurt himself. Several U2 fans rushed out there to help him and make sure he was ok.

That's really nice :up:.

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
(some people also think I'm a woman though..... DAMN YOU PLEBA for being so entertaining!!).

LOL :D (also, I got your e-mail, haven't gotten a chance to listen to that stuff yet, 'cause I'd been feeling kinda blah the last couple of days, but I'll do that today. Thanks :wave:.).

Anywho, as for elitism...no, I've never treated anyone who isn't a part of some board or whatever badly.

Angela

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
I never say for how long I am a U2 fan (you can see on the other thread that I only say which was my first U2 record I bought) cause I was really mistreated at zootopia for not being a fan since U2 had their first single out, that happened some time ago before I started being an active member of Interference. So that incident made me a little shy about answering questions as "how long have you been a fan?" cause sometime I feel like I've been a U2 fan all of my life.

:hug:

I'm sorry you have been treated horribly. I raise my toast to Elvis! This site is fantastic. I use to post at other music websites and I have to say that U2 fans are by far the sweetest and most compassionate people that I have ever encountered.

(some people also think I'm a woman though..... DAMN YOU PLEBA for being so entertaining!!).

:laugh:

Last edited:
angel_of_L.A. said:
:hug:

I'm sorry you have been treated horribly.

Yeah, no kidding. That kind of behavior toward you just ain't cool :tsk:.

*Also :hug:s TheBrazilianFly*

Originally posted by angel_of_L.A.
I raise my toast to Elvis! This site is fantastic. I use to post at other music websites and I have to say that U2 fans are by far the sweetest and most compassionate people that I have ever encountered.

Hear, hear :yes:! *Raises can of pop in toast*

Angela

I would think the elitist arguments would be "you're not a real fan because you haven't been around from the start." or "you're not a real fan because you didn't understand POP" and only inviting certain people to chatrooms.

I'm not sure about the theory that U2 fans are automatically better people than fans of any other band. You can find elitist attitude, cliques etc... in any fan community IMO. Personally I think it's great that "older" fans like Blue Room or Sting2 (erm...he has been following U2 for a long time right?) can share their U2 knowledge with us.

jick said:
I think all U2 fans are elite or elitist.

U2's music targets the intellectual elitist crowd. U2's music is for the rich, or the working class at worst. U2's music is for the educated. U2's lyrics are vague, they talk in riddles. One has to analyze their songs to actually grasp the music. U2's songs aren't straightforward.

That is why U2's music doesn't appeal too much to the blacks. There are few blacks in a U2 concert. The direct approact to lyrics that doesn't require analysis is done by the rappers and hip-hoppers. And they write from the point of view of the person actually in the mud, not from the point of view of someone in the ivory tower seeing the mud and giving his own philosophical discourse about it.

WHAT!!!!!..... YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIP HOP AND RAPPERS.... PLEASE DON'T GENERALIZE Ok??

U2 IS NOT ONLY FOR RICH PEOPLE, I'M NOT RICH AND I'M LATIN, AND YES I LIKE RAP MUSIC BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. AND WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??? THAT BLACK PEOPLE IS POOR AND UNEDUCATED???

Last edited:
Muggsy said:

WHAT!!!!!..... YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIP HOP AND RAPPERS.... PLEASE DON'T GENERALIZE Ok??

U2 IS NOT ONLY FOR RICH PEOPLE, I'M NOT RICH AND I'M LATIN, AND YES I LIKE RAP MUSIC BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. AND WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??? THAT BLACK PEOPLE IS POOR AND UNEDUCATED???

Muggsy,

Just ignore what Jick wrote. He has a habit of making controversial statements, and this unfortunately was one of the most unnecessary. Try to move past it. :hug:

U2girl said:
only inviting certain people to chatrooms.

While it is true that cliques do form on all message boards regardless of band or subject matter and that can be a bad thing, people do usually only invite those they know well or have something in common with into chats. It's not always a personal insult not to be invited into the chat, there's no way you can invite everyone on the board.

Just one quick point, I am new to the Internet forum thing. I think its wonderful thing. I think what a lot people don't realize is that a lot of us newbies may have been fans for a long time but just because we are new to posting we are some how "not as knowledegeable". With that, I'm not accusing anyone of doing that, just that some people do seem to think that way

hmmm...this thread is almost a year old. :eyebrow:

i'm gonna close it since this is such an inflammatory subject, and also because i don't want people getting their knickers in a wad over jick's posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom