What is your favorite U2 moment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
the subject says it all.

It can be television wise, live or in your personal life.

Mine is at the MTV music awards when they were performing and the power went out and when they returned back from commercial Bono says, "We seemed to have had a technical difficulty." Then when he accepted his speach, he said, "MTV forgot to pay their electrical bills."

Red Rocks. I truly discovered U2 watching that video and Rattle And Hum.

I have several of these small favourite moments (sometimes kinda odd), just little snippets that makes me feel something, happyness, sadness or whatever..

1. In Rattle And Hum when Larry is saying "My very own conga" during ISHFWILF

2. Also in Rattle And Hum, Edges solo in WOWY and the cameramove preceding it that sweeps from Bono, seeing Larry in the background and then to Edge, lovely.

3. Mothers of the disappeared live at Santiago (I think it was) when the band brought up all the women who had lost their sons on stage. Bonos singing is really emotional there (its on the Joshua Tree documentary btw).

4. In the Unforgettable Fire documentary when Bono is recording his vocals to Pride in the studio. Really powerful.

I have some more of these little special moments, that just get stuck in my mind, but these 4 will do for now :).
Do you guys have any you wanna share? (I bet you have)

Okay I was watching my rattle and hum outtakes and this moment made me giggle
Bono gets a kazoo from the little girl he had pulled onto the stage. He plays it which is very cool. He tries to give it back but the little girl wants him to keep it. He says looks like I am a big hit with the girls in this town.
Very sweet!

In no order:

At a Joshua Tree Chicago concert when Bono says "people dancing to a U2 song I don't believe this!"

Pop Mart Sarajevo when Bono said "Fuck the past, Kiss the future viva Sarajevo!"

At a Lovetown Melbourne show Bono said something like this during Bullet "Outside its America, actually its a carpark"

POP Mart Mexico 97

during Mysterious Ways
: " shhhh.... Adam Clayton on bass , now , larry Mullen Jnr on drums , THE EDGE !!!!! """ and the solo

I feel it should be something deep and meaningful, a moment that made a difference to a lot of people...there's been plenty of those.
Before I was connected to the internet, U2 were a band who's music was to me, the best possible, I played their records and CD's and was well satisfied. They o'cassionally ventured down to Australia and if I was very very lucky I would get to see them once each tour. :heart:
So it was just wild to follow, via stupendous photography,
what happend during the Elevation tour via the net. My 20th wedding anniversary fell during that tour and I rattled on about wishing I could be at the U2 concert being held that day...i couldn't. BUT!! I could hardly believe the pictures that downloaded on to my computer of that very concert
:faint:
shallow I know :D :angel:...but it is a favourite U2 moment for me:hug:

At the end of Pride at Slane,

"Thank you for coming out,
thank you for queueing in the rain
and spending your hard-earned cash,
you've given us a great life
This is our love"

There's so much love and joy in the air at that show, and I love the way Bono keeps thanking the fans during songs. :sigh:

In Rattle & Hum there are two key moments for me:
1. Bad. I saw this movie 7 times in the theater and all 7 times, when this song came on, everyone shut up and paid attention, it almost lulled them into the movie and then to be hit with the bright red of WTSHNN...genius.
2. Bono's singing "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." part...just amazing.

"Stay" was the first song to ever make me cry, so that is a special moment for me.

Also, the section of Gone on POP, "No emotional goodbye", the way Edge's guitar swoops up and bounces around, it does something to me. A brilliant example of music conveying emotion.

Buy Achtung Baby the day it came out, cranking it up on my cheap-assed portable CD player in the car and hearin Zoo Station and screaming outloud, "The boys are back!" What a dork.

Rafiennes said:

Buy Achtung Baby the day it came out, cranking it up on my cheap-assed portable CD player in the car and hearin Zoo Station and screaming outloud, "The boys are back!" What a dork.

Ahhh I have one of those moments too, you made me remember :hyper:

I had a friend at college who was also a U2 freak. We borrowed someone's car to go to a midnight sale and get AB at 12:01 the day of release. We also cranked it on a cheapo portable player and just drove around listening in total silence. I'm pretty sure I randomly started crying at one point. :happy:

I agree with you Rafiennes on the R&H moments. The cut that goes from Elvis grave and into Bad is nice, when you think what the song is about and the how Elvis life was in the end (drugs etc).

A really boring answer but right now this is how I feel.

Every moment where U2 is included is special for me. Ok, I know moments that I keep closer than others but they are so many I can't drag them up here.

I'm a newer fan, so SNL was great. I was just like "They're too great."

Any live performance I've seen really. So much, energy, love, companionship.

And on MTV jammed I absoultly adore edge eating pizza. Don't ask why, but it makes me giggle.

I haven't seen their official concerts (except Boston), but I was lucky to get bootlegs and a few shows on VHS.

- I like the "it's been an incredible year for U2" speech on Joshua Tree tour
- same goes for the speech during "I still haven't found..." on New Year's night in Dublin, "dream out loud" one
- Sarajevo concert, the moment when the people sing Stand by me
- in Chile when they bring up the mothers on stage and play Mothers of the dissapeared, the hardest moment to watch is when the women speak and show pics of their sons/husbands, gone
- 3rd leg Elevation shows, you can hear fans appreciate U2 in that time, during One when the names are shown and before that, Bono's speech about being proud to be touring in that time and defending islam

Last edited:
U2girl said:
- Sarajevo concert, the moment when the people sing Stand by me
- in Chile when they bring up the mothers on stage and play Mothers of the dissapeared, the hardest moment to watch is when the women speak and show pics of their sons/husbands, gone

These are both fantastic!

R&H video during BAD when Bono is half naked and put his hair back.... very sexy (even though I'm a straight male...:wink: )

Boston video, Bullet the blue sky, at the end "what's my name? Mark Chapmann, what's my name? Mark Chapmann......." it gives me the chill every time.

POP Mart, Santiago or Mexico, can't remember..... during Mysterious Ways.... Bono is so up that he doesn't know what to do and to say..... he says "I don't know what to do!" so emotional......

Best ever is Larry saying "I can't even say the bloody word Achtung Baby"..... illarious....

Also on a more serious note, the day my best friend passed away I was in a Virgin megastore waiting for a friend to get done work so we could drive 9 hrs to the services and I looked over and saw the U2 encyclopedia. I opened it up and on pg 33 was a pic I took of Bono. My friend was at those concerts with me and she was a very musical person.
It was like a little hi from her. Luckily I have a really poor minidisc boot of opening night Elevation and I can still listen and hear her yelling into my ear "Thank you! Thank you!" At the time I complained she ruined my boot! but now I cherish it.
Very cool.

The very first time I ever heard a U2 song was very special to me (WOWY on the radio back in 1987) because I fell in love with the band at that moment.

I also remember calling in and helping the video for WOWY win the Viewers Choice Award on the MTV VMA's that year! It was fun because I was watching the show with friends who were also U2 fans and we all called in. Good times.

Another great moment was watching Bono pull that girl on stage during WOWY when the Boston Elevation concert was shown on VH1. (funny how many of my favorite U2 moments involve WOWY!) It was so beautiful and sweet and made me fall in love with Bono all over again.

Hearing AB for the first time was pretty amazing as well. I was so blown away that they had done something so different from their '80s work but were still the best band on the planet.

Its funny,
I read this question today and tonight I was at a party and Joshua Tree came on my freinds stereo and you know that moment in the opening of streets where the little bass pulse happens?
Its all pretty and shimmery and then "boomp" den den den den den and the edge is in full flight?
Thats one of those little magical moments the band creates.
Go listen.

First time I heard All I Want Is You live.
First time I saw (DVD, sadly) The Fly live.
First time I heard Vertigo.
When I first cried to Until The End Of The World. I never stopped...

Most memorable moment for me was Bono going public about his dad during the Manchester concert. I have never seen a better more heartfelt performance (and probably never will again).
When he sang "Im A Man im not a child"
wow, im still lost for words 3years on.

neutral said:
At the end of Pride at Slane,

"Thank you for coming out,
thank you for queueing in the rain
and spending your hard-earned cash,
you've given us a great life
This is our love"

There's so much love and joy in the air at that show, and I love the way Bono keeps thanking the fans during songs. :sigh:

meeting adam, having a picture of bono and I, and having bono write me a happy birthday note!

Back
Top Bottom