What is U2's strongest album Lyrically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
Ive been listening to U2 October for the last 2 weeks, and I have come to the conclusion that October is U2's most brilliant lyrics written. I cant say Bono alone wrote the lyrics, Im not certain of that, but I feel that alot there most sincere lyrics came out in October, as they were in conflict with breaking up due to rock and roll lifestye, and religion. So I would say that October is the U2's strongest album lyrically, who's with me?

namkcuR said:
Definitely Pop or AB. Pop has some seriously brilliant lyrics.

What are some of pop's brillinat lyrics, Im not disagreeing with you, Im just curious what lyrics hit you deep?

macphisto23 said:

What are some of pop's brillinat lyrics, Im not disagreeing with you, Im just curious what lyrics hit you deep?

Mofo:

"Mother, am I still your son/you know I've waited for so long/to hear you say so/Mother, you left and made me someone/now I'm still a child/but no one tells me no"

Staring At The Sun:

"Intransengence is all around/military still in town/armor-plated suits and ties/daddy just won't say goodbye/referee won't blow the whistle/god is good but will he listen/I'm nearly great but there's something missing/I left it in the/duty free, oh/but it never really/belonged to me"

If God Will Send His Angels:

All of it, but for one example:

"where is the hope, and the faith, and the love/what's that you say to me does love/light up your Christmas tree/the next minute you're blowing a fuse/and the cartoon network turns into the news/if god will send his angels/and if god will send a sign/hey if god will send his angels/where do we go?"

Please:

"Love is hard/big and love is tough/but love is not/what you're thinking of"

"Love is big/bigger than us/but love is not/what you're thinking of"

"It's what lovers deal/it's what lovers steal/you know I found it hard to recieve/'cause you my love I could never believe"

Wake Up Dead Man:

"Jesus, Jesus help me/I'm alone in this world/and a fucked up world it is too/tell me, tell me the story/the one about eternity/and the way it's all gonna be/wake up, wake up dead man"

Discotheque:

"Yeah you hurt for it/work for it/love/you don't always show it"

Gone:

"goodbye, and you can keep this/suit of lights/I'll be up with the sun/I'm not coming down"

"'cause I'm already gone, felt that way all along"

"you hurt yourself/you hurt your lover/then you discover/what you thought was freedom is just greed" - best line of the song, one of the best single lyrics I've ever heard.

"Goodbye/and it's an emotional/goodnight/I'll be up with the sun/are you still holding on/I'm not coming down"

Last edited:
The Joshua Tree period had Bono's most poetic and best lyrics in my opinion. Pop was another absolute high point. Hmm, JT in 1987, Pop in 1997 ... I am expecting lyrically good things from 2007!

macphisto23 said:
Ive been listening to U2 October for the last 2 weeks, and I have come to the conclusion that October is U2's most brilliant lyrics written.

I thought Bono felt that October were his weakest lyrics because he lost all of those lyrics. Personally, I think AB and HTDAAB are tied for best lyrical albums.

macphisto23 said:

For me:

"Mother, am I still your son?
You know I've waited for so long to hear you say so
Mother, you left and made me someone
Now I'm still a child, but no one tells me No"

"If there's an order in all of this disorder,
Is it like a tape recorder -
Can we rewind it just once more?

Wake up. Wake up, dead man."

And every single word of Please

unnamed_streets said:
Dude, how could you forget Gone?

Everything you mentioned + all of Gone.

I didn't forget it....dude, I pretty much want to just post the entire lyric booklet for Pop, I wanted to post something while I was putting together the rest. I've edited it to include Gone now. :wink:

Achtung Baby is the strongest lyrically followed closely by the Joshua Tree.....

saltines17 said:

Is there an order in all of this disorder?
Is it like a tape recorder -
Can we rewind it just once more?

It's funny... but I think those are probably the only weak lyrics in an otherwise brilliant album.

Re: Re: What is U2's strongest album Lyrically?

unosdostres14 said:

I thought Bono felt that October were his weakest lyrics because he lost all of those lyrics. Personally, I think AB and HTDAAB are tied for best lyrical albums.

I dont know what Bono has said about his lyrics? But that is my personal opinon, they are strongest to me. Bono has also said he doesnt like listneing to his early records and to hear his voice, but I on the other hand love his voice from Boy and October.
There are really some great lyrics from every album, and I love them all, but still Im going with October!

unnamed_streets said:

It's funny... but I think those are probably the only weak lyrics in an otherwise brilliant album.

Im with saltines17, those are not weak lyrics, I think it's an awesome lyric.

Re: Re: What is U2's strongest album Lyrically?

unosdostres14 said:

HTDAAB tied for strongest lyrical album? You're kidding, right?

A lot of the lyrics are re-hashed from earlier songs, the use of the metaphor and lyrics with two and sometimes three different meanings are almost non-existant. They are very simple and average when compared to most of their other records.

unnamed_streets said:

I kind of know what you mean - the first time I heard him rhyme tape recorder with disorder, I almost started to cringe, but then he threw the rewinding line at me and I thought, Damn. That was good. Very good.

unnamed_streets said:
Can't decide between AB, JT and Pop... :crazy:

JT shouldn't be in the running...it is a brilliant record musically and lyrically it is very good, but lyrically also, it cannot compare with the multi-layered, complex, brilliance of the lyrics of AB and Pop. :wink:

Other songs that I think have brilliant lyrics:

Bad, Unforgettable Fire, Streets, The Fly, Acrobat, Lemon

I think I've posted about Lemon in at least 15 of my 20 posts...:sigh:

namkcuR said:

JT shouldn't be in the running...it is a brilliant record musically and lyrically it is very good, but lyrically also, it cannot compare with the multi-layered, complex, brilliance of the lyrics of AB and Pop. :wink:

No way, listen to Exit, Bullet, One tree hill, Mothers, ISHFWILF, Running- Joshua Tree is up there with POP, Actung Baby, October, and War

namkcuR said:

It can't compare because it's SO MUCH BETTER! No, Achtung and Pop are wonderful songs for lyrics, but JT has the poetic edge on those two.

One Tree Hill is sheer brilliance.

Yeah, AB has some songs which might fit on JT plus it's got amazing stuff like Until The End and Fly. It's really the best of both worlds. I declare Achtung my personal winner. :wink:

People don't like HTDAAB because it's new. Come on, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, Original of the Species, COBL......all of these are incredible. Vertigo, ABOY, and crumbs are also great. A lot of people don't understand these songs. Like Vertigo. Most people wouldn't see the connection to Jesus. So lots of people think that Vertigo is just some corny song about being dizzy. A lot of their lyrics are like this. People are kind of prejudiced against the new stuff because it hasn't stood the test of time.

unnamed_streets said:
Yeah, AB has some songs which might fit on JT plus it's got amazing stuff like Until The End and Fly. It's really the best of both worlds. I declare Achtung my personal winner. :wink:

I declare you wrong, as usual. :wink:

Hey, dont mess with my personal favorite. It's not like I said, "I unanimously declare AB the winner of this thread!"

Axver said:

It can't compare because it's SO MUCH BETTER! No, Achtung and Pop are wonderful songs for lyrics, but JT has the poetic edge on those two.

One Tree Hill is sheer brilliance.

OTH is GREAT lyrically, but sheer brilliance is IGWSHA.

unosdostres14 said:
People don't like HTDAAB because it's new. Come on, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, Original of the Species, COBL......all of these are incredible. Vertigo, ABOY, and crumbs are also great. A lot of people don't understand these songs. Like Vertigo. Most people wouldn't see the connection to Jesus. So lots of people think that Vertigo is just some corny song about being dizzy. A lot of their lyrics are like this. People are kind of prejudiced against the new stuff because it hasn't stood the test of time.

Im with you, I love the new album lyrics, and I love that connection Bono has with Jesus, and being humble in the album. And like you said Vertigo is alot mre than just some dizziness song, its a higher law!

Back
Top Bottom