What is U2's "Stairway to Heaven?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Led Zeppelin has Stairway to Heaven, The Beatles have Hey Jude, Boston has More Than a Feeling, Skynrd has Free Bird, Guns N Roses have November Rain, Aerosmith has Dream On....you get the idea. What do you think is U2's great classic rock anthem that belongs in the category with those others? SBS? NYD? WOWY? One? Or is it yet to be composed? It's hard to say, but as great as they should have something like that. I would be interested to hear everyone's opinion on this. Please think deep!

Also: Please feel free to add to my brief list of classic rock anthems by other bands!

------------------
Visit my U2 webpage! <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk</A> On, stay safe tonight"

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
R.E.M. - (this one is tough), Losing My Religion or It's the End of the World as We Know It
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
The Police - Every Breath You Take
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

as for U2, I'd say either With Or Without You or Where the Street Have No Name

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Isnt' "Yesterday" the song usually most connected with the Beatles?

And "Sweet home Alabama" for Lynrd Skynrd?

"Losing my religion" or "Everybody hurts" - REM.

"Hey Joe" for Hendrix maybe?

I think we'll have to wait and see after U2's career ends so that the songs get some time off to be recognized.
I think it has yet to be written.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-10-2001).]

i think "Bad" should take the title, since it elevates the classic rock anthem to a whole new level.
however, more people know "WOWY", so that will probably be remembered as U2's 'greatest hit.'

smile.gif

If we're talking in the same vein as 'Stariway To Heaven' (classic concert song that's very long), I'd have to go with 'Bad'. Granted, it was never a single, but with U2 it's a bit different, as it's their live show that really defines them in many ways. 'Bad' just happens to be a live U2 classic.

------------------
The Tempest

Bad deserves it - and it is sort of similar to Stairway to Heaven with its crescendo style and emotional depth.

Where the Streets Have No Name would probably get it, though. While I don't think Streets is nearly as good a song as many U2 songs, that opening riff will always be remembered as the definitive U2 noise.

I came in this thinking of Bad,but now I think Please has all the potential to fit the prescibed bill.But unfortunatley it hasn't been played live that often so as to stand the test of the time.But it certainly contains the DNA.

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 12-10-2001).]

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
If we're talking in the same vein as 'Stariway To Heaven' (classic concert song that's very long), I'd have to go with 'Bad'. Granted, it was never a single, but with U2 it's a bit different, as it's their live show that really defines them in many ways. 'Bad' just happens to be a live U2 classic.

Plus bad shares with Stairway to Heaven the distinction of never being "officially" released commercially.

My vote goes to One, though.

CK

Originally posted by Achtung Zooropa:
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

I'm gonna disagree with these 3...
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2
Hendrix - Purple Haze
Bruce: Born to run

As for U2...I think the public perception would be Sunday Bloody Sunday or With or Without You.

Sunday Bloody Sunday

or

I Still Haven't Found

I don't know anyode who doesn't at least know some of the lyrics to these songs

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Anybody besides me think that "Stairway to Heaven" was not Led Zeppelin's best song? I think "When the Levee Breaks" was.

I'd say "One".

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by speedracer:
Anybody besides me think that "Stairway to Heaven" was not Led Zeppelin's best song? I think "When the Levee Breaks" was.

I'm with you! Nothing against "Stairway to Heaven" but there are at least a dozen Led Zeppelin songs I like better. Same thing with U2, I think it's "Bad" even though that's not my favorite song by them. What about "Walk On" it has potential to become that type of thing in the future doesn't it?
I would pick "A Sort of Homecoming" or "The Unforgettable Fire" but they are not well known enough. Speedracer, I think UF is U2's most Zeppelin-esque album what do you say?

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

I think the initial question might have been unclear. Are you wondering what is the definitive u2 live song or what song U2 will be best remembered by at the end of their career? No matter, in both cases, I think the answer is Streets. (Not to say it's their best song). SV put it best, that opening riff is the definitive u2 noise.

To be sure, I adore Bad. Apart from Streets, it's the only other live u2 song that gives me goose bumps. But I can't see how it's their signature live song when they don't even play it at every gig!

A close second on both counts would be One. I think it has been performed live in so many contexts that it really strikes such a deep chord with a lot of people, fans and non-fans.

I don't think any song is more loved or defines U2 as much as Where the Streets Have No Name.......

I don't actually know a whole helluva lot about Stairway to Heaven. Except that it's the song that all young, learning guitar players seem to learn first. So, in my mind there is a link between the song being identified with the artist and with the first few notes being easily reproduced and recognized. Therefore, I'd go with ONE over STREETS.

my $.02
smile.gif

Interesting - depending on what terms you use, I'd vote differently for both U2 and Bruce:

"Signature" song - for Bruce it probably is Born to Run, for U2 it is probably Streets

"Epic" song - for Bruce I would argue it's Jungleland, for U2 it is Bad

"Captures the emotional essence of the artist" - for Bruce it might be Backstreets, for U2 I'd say it's Bad or One.

SV

When I saw this thread title, I was sure it was about songs that have been played to death and maybe should be put on hiatus. That's Stairway to Heaven for me: sick of hearing it for a while (okay the rest of my life; never a big fan of that song or band). I think U2's Stairway is Bullet. They drag it out and play it too much. Retire it for now; it's in danger of becoming a cliche. The importance of the song is getting lost in the repetition.

Don't worry, I've got my extinguisher out for the flames.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

I think Beatles--Hey Jude, Hendix--Stairway to Heaven, et...is more about popularity. What each band is KNOWN for. IF this is thie case, then U2 would definetly be One or WOWY.

Personally, I like Bad and ISHFWILF, but hey.

Wouldn't "A Day In The Life" be the Beatles stairway to heaven?

The more I think about it, the more I think Bad could be U2's Stairway To Heaven.

I know KROQ used to always play the album version and the Wide Awake Ep version.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Stairway ranks pretty far down on the list for me as well, I'd choose "Achilles Last Stand", "No Quarter", "The Song Remains the Same", "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" as my personal top 5.

I believe even Robert Plant said that "Kashmir" was the ultimate LedZep song not Stairway.

Back
Top Bottom