What is U2's 'Stairway'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Little did Robert Plant and Jimmy Page know when they wrote it that 'Stairway To Heaven' would become possibly the standard by which all rock music is measured. For most great bands, there is a song that the listening audience generally acknowledges to be that band's 'Stairway'.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' was Queen's Stairway.

'November Rain' was Guns'N'Roses' Stairway.

'Under The Bridge' was Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stairway.

'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' was Pink Floyd's Stairway.

'Losing My Religion' is R.E.M.'s Stairway.

'Master Of Puppets' is Metallica's Stairway.

You get the picture. So my question is, does U2 have a 'Stairway'? And if so, what is it? Is it long enough, does it have enough variance in musical styles in just the one song, it is plain good enough? Ponder these to yourself as you answer my question. You may only pick one. Replies such as 'either Song A or Song B' will not be accepted. This should be difficult seeing as U2 don't really have that many huge 8-9-10 minute songs.

I can't yet choose one.

DaveC said:
Actually, Comfortably Numb was Pink Floyd's "Stairway".

For U2, it's One.

You are wrong. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is superior to 'Comfortably Numb', though the latter is great too. But 'Diamond' is a 25-minute masterpiece that ranks among the greatest rock pieces ever recorded.

This a lot like the epic post.

I think Electrical Storm could be with slightly better lyrics. (live maybe?)

Right now though it has to be "Streets" or "Bad"

namkcuR said:

You are wrong. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is superior to 'Comfortably Numb', though the latter is great too. But 'Diamond' is a 25-minute masterpiece that ranks among the greatest rock pieces ever recorded.

THE greatest rock piece ever recorded...

Second is Led Zeppelin's Kashmir... :wink:

U2's 'Stairway' I would say 'One' if we're talking similar styles, however if we're talking one song that makes you think 'YES' when the band start playing it live, I'd say 'Streets' [isn't it funny how nearly everyone calls it that now, when did that happen?!] although it's not what I look forward to whenever I buy a new U2 DVD or recieve a new bootleg...and in a more bizarre twist, I prefer hearing live versions of 'Dazed and Confused' on Zeppelin DVDs because I've just heard 'Stairway...' too bloody much!!

In totally unrelated Conclusion, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and U2 are the holy trinity to which I put all music against...:wink:

Nate Dogg said:
Tough choice.

Have to go with One on this. Streets would be my choice, but lyrically, One is superior...

yeah i agree
like nate, i'm a streets person but i think if you ask the casual listener or those who aren't neccesarily fans (which is how i think you'd have to judge this kind of thing) then the answer would be One almost everytime

Party Boy said:
To rabid U2 fans, its probably Bad live, WSHNN or SBS. I guess to non rabid U2 fans, its got to be One.

What exactly constitues an Epic? Length of song? Or is it a song that is instantly recognised by both U2 and non-U2 fans?

I'm rabid, in fact, a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid fan of U2. My vote goes to One, though. I think the band would probably pick this song as their "Stairway", too. I think One got lots of top 40 airplay back in the 90's, but that doesn't diminish it's status. It's lyrics have been examined over and over, there are multiple interpretations, and it's basically a universal love song for a generation...our generation. Lots of people think the studio version isn't that great (mainly the vocal performance).....but I think it's damn near perfect.

Nate Dogg said:

I'm rabid, in fact, a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid fan of U2. My vote goes to One, though. I think the band would probably pick this song as their "Stairway", too. I think One got lots of top 40 airplay back in the 90's, but that doesn't diminish it's status. It's lyrics have been examined over and over, there are multiple interpretations, and it's basically a universal love song for a generation...our generation. Lots of people think the studio version isn't that great (mainly the vocal performance).....but I think it's damn near perfect.

Its gotta be one then!!

Taking Led Zep. as an example - while stairway is an epic, in terms of the journey you go through from start to finish, through slow, fast, mid paced music (Bohemian Rapsody, November Child etc) I don't think One can be classified as an Epic. To my mind, an epic is something that you need to sit down and think about what you have just heard (in musical terms, rather than the message of the song - which One probably beats all the aformentioned songs hands down). The nearest song in Epic terms that I can think of in U2's catalog would be Bad (live), maybe WTSHNN or maybe Wire (if they had made it into a 12" - wishful thinking!!)

It's One. that's it. It's not my favorite u2 song, but its certainly their "signature epic" if you know what i mean.

I think some people might be missing the point.

Stairway to Heavan is by no means Led Zeppelins BEST song, it is just one of the most popular (both by their hardcore fans and casual listener) Hence its position as a signature song.

Bad is a brilliant song, but the casual listener doesn't even know about this song, trust me, I once spent twenty minutes trying to convince a group of people that Bad was an original U2 song, not a Michael Jackson remake.

One is also brilliant, but not as commercially appealing as With or Without you. It won a grammy and is by far the most recognizable U2 song EVER.

Therefore in MY OPINION, which is only my opinion, With or without you is U2's signature song.

Back
Top Bottom