What is U2's best music video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theFly51 said:
U2 has done numerous music videos over the years. What do you think they're best video is? This includes long form videos (zoo, pop, etc.)

"A Sort of Homecoming", because I'm in it, close up shot too.......

01 THE FLY
02 EBTTRT
03 LEMON
04 STAY
05 MYSTERIOUS WAYS
06 ALL I WANT IS YOU
07 IGWSHA
08 NUMB
09 A SORT OF HOMECOMING
10 PRIDE

For me, U2's videos were always their weakest area, I think they've only had a few good videos this decade, Beautiful Day, Electrical Storm and TGBHF.
Saing that, there are many earlier ones that I worship. For example when they came out,Even Better Than The Real Thing and The Fly were two of the coolest videos I had ever seen. Mysterios Ways was also very good.
The Zooropa era was the best for videos, Numb and lemon(such a a shame lemon was never released as a single, I'msure the perfecto mix would have been a number 1) were very original and Stay is possibly their best ever video.
I also love their 80's videos, especially the ones by Meirt Avis, like A Celebration, Streets, Unforgettable Fire, Gloria and New Years Day.
My top ones though are Night And Day and Stay.
I hope they will do another Video with Meirt Avis, they haven't done a video withhim since All I want is You, which had the potential to be their finest, but the dwarf thing was just too much.

I LOVE All I Want Is You - I remember crying the first time I saw it - although 17 years later I STILL don't get it!!:confused:
The Buffalo film clip for ONE is a total classic - so classy and understated.
More recently, i really like the video for OOTS - not sure why, but i can watch it over and over!
Oh yeah, I can't forget The Sweetest Thing - the bit where Bono has the little doggy glove puppet - how cute is that? Wish my husband would make me a cute video to apologise for all the things he's done!! (Although he would have to get me U2 - not boyzone!!!):sexywink:
Oops, I almost forgot Electrical Storm (how could I) I know its sexist of me, but I could just eat Larry up in that video - SO HOT:drool:

Cheers,
Mandy

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - something to do with Bono's relationship with the camera. He tends to look at it a whole lot more in this video.

Unforgettable Fire - very mysterious and suits the song very well.

Just read all the posts and was very curious about toscano's post. I love the homecoming video, and the bad video, i think they used the same concert for the video. There was a girl in the video for bad, with short blonde hair who i was totally in love with when i was a kid, you dont know her do you? She looked german or dutch, something like that.

EBTTRT and Discotheque, no doubts.

Other great ones...
AIWIY
One (buffallos and Berlin versions)
The Fly
Mysterious ways
SATS
Stay
Lemon
Numb
Please
Stuck in a moment (Europe video)
Vertigo

Am i missing it or has no one even mentioned Last Night on Earth?

I love that video, the whole vibe it has going is great and suits the song well.

It was supposed to be a video for Staring at the sun first.

U2 has done some great videos. In my opinion, every video pre-TJT is complete shit and looks incredibly dated. I completely disagree with the poster who said that videos are U2's weakness. How to pick just one favorite video??

TJT videos. WOWY--simple and great. Suits the song well. ISHFWILF-- Great light hearted video. People at work know I'm a huge U2 fan...the video they always reference is this video and how cool it was back in '87 and how it was so different from what U2 had done. WTSHNN-- on the rooftop, classic video.

Achtung Baby videos-- The only one that is shit is Mysterious Ways. The rest are incredible videos.

Zooropa videos-- All very creative, all awesome

Pop videos--IGWSHA is good. Last Night On Earth is great. Discotheque is great. Staring at the Sun is amazing, Please is brilliant. Enough said.

Sweetest Thing-- I wasn't a U2 fan when this came out. I remember thinking "how cheezy." Now I really love this video.

ATYCLB-- Beautiful Day is fantastic. The European "Stuck" video is fantastic. The others suck ass.

HTDAAB--I really don't think that U2 did their HTDAAB songs justice with the videos. Vertigo was okay. COBL is okay, nothing special. ABOY is very cool, but I don't find myself drawn to it. Sometimes is pretty good, but again I don't find myself drawn to it. The best video off the last album by far is Original of the Species. Tons of emotion and well directed. Fantastic video.

ImOuttaControl said:

Achtung Baby videos-- The only one that is shit is Mysterious Ways. The rest are incredible videos.

What was shit about it?
I'd really like to know.
The colors and the emotions...the lighting and the teasing ( not showing the boys enough).
I have not seen a video like it (u2 or otherwise) .
PLEASE tell me what you thought was shit.
I see you are male...

Waiting...

ImOuttaControl said:
U2 has done some great videos. In my opinion, every video pre-TJT is complete shit and looks incredibly dated. I completely disagree with the poster who said that videos are U2's weakness. How to pick just one favorite video??

TJT videos. WOWY--simple and great. Suits the song well. ISHFWILF-- Great light hearted video. People at work know I'm a huge U2 fan...the video they always reference is this video and how cool it was back in '87 and how it was so different from what U2 had done. WTSHNN-- on the rooftop, classic video.

Zooropa videos-- All very creative, all awesome

Pop videos--IGWSHA is good. Last Night On Earth is great. Discotheque is great. Staring at the Sun is amazing, Please is brilliant. Enough said.

Sweetest Thing-- I wasn't a U2 fan when this came out. I remember thinking "how cheezy." Now I really love this video.

ATYCLB-- Beautiful Day is fantastic. The European "Stuck" video is fantastic. The others suck ass.

HTDAAB--I really don't think that U2 did their HTDAAB songs justice with the videos. Vertigo was okay. COBL is okay, nothing special. ABOY is very cool, but I don't find myself drawn to it. Sometimes is pretty good, but again I don't find myself drawn to it. The best video off the last album by far is Original of the Species. Tons of emotion and well directed. Fantastic video.

What? Mysterious Ways video is shit? You're weird, mate (joking:wink: )! That's one of them most creative videos, and the north africa style joint to the mirror effect matches perfectly with the song spirit.
I agree with you about a few things...
Zooropa and AB videos (well, except UTEOTW that's preety weird IMO) are great, POP ones too (despite I find IGWSHA a bit boring and static).
Then BD, and european Stuck rules (the other version really sucks), but Elevation is a great - and different, and very MTV-like - video, but I like it.
About the HTDAAB videos, I agree that they don't make justice about the songs. Vertigo is cool, Sometimes too (despite that it could've been more elaborated). Now, ABOY video is veeery poor, and (despite I like it) we could have had a "real" video from COBL. Last, OOTS is one of the band's greatest videos, just beautiful!

With HTDAAB to me it feels like the boys just didnt take the time to create a good video for the song.

Vertigo, OOTS and STYCMIOYO are good but the other 2 not so.

POP really had some awsome video's. You can just see that they took the time to create those video's.

Im missing that on this album.

night_and_day66 said:
What was shit about it?
I'd really like to know.
The colors and the emotions...the lighting and the teasing ( not showing the boys enough).
I have not seen a video like it (u2 or otherwise) .
PLEASE tell me what you thought was shit.
I see you are male...

Waiting...

Yep, in my opinion the Mysterious Ways video is about as boring as the IGWSHA video. It has it's moments with the cool camera work, but I think the director really screwed the pootch and missed an opportunity to make a fantastic video. If I remember correctly, the commentary on the Best Of DVD mentions something about how the band weren't incredibly happy with the video also.

ImOuttaControl said:

Yep, in my opinion the Mysterious Ways video is about as boring as the IGWSHA video. It has it's moments with the cool camera work, but I think the director really screwed the pootch and missed an opportunity to make a fantastic video. If I remember correctly, the commentary on the Best Of DVD mentions something about how the band weren't incredibly happy with the video also.

I guess thats why its called an opinion.
Maybe i was blinded by the pure sexiness of Bono and the imagery.
I like the theme: mystical and colorful with the ethnic look.
It seemed to not be like anything else they had done.

And to be perfectly honest here folks...the red shirt with black pants, his long, black flowing locks...:drool: :drool:
not to mention his 'dancing' and withering on the tile floor... to this day is still a panty changer for me. :drool: :drool:

So maybe its not the greatest video, but in my world, its a standout.

night_and_day66 said:

I guess thats why its called an opinion.
Maybe i was blinded by the pure sexiness of Bono and the imagery.
I like the theme: mystical and colorful with the ethnic look.
It seemed to not be like anything else they had done.

And to be perfectly honest here folks...the red shirt with black pants, his long, black flowing locks...:drool: :drool:
not to mention his 'dancing' and withering on the tile floor... to this day is still a panty changer for me. :drool: :drool:

So maybe its not the greatest video, but in my world, its a standout.

Totally with you

my favourites: streets, ISHFWILF, electrical storm, numb, wowy, the fly, BD and a celebration is funny

Back
Top Bottom