What Is U2's Best Live Acoustic Song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're all pretty dodgy except for the current version of Yahweh.

Axver said:
They're all pretty dodgy except for the current version of Yahweh.
I tend to disagree here.

Yahweh is great acoustic, but so is Satellite of Love (esp. of Sydney video/DVD), and so is Stay (esp. on Boston DVD).

Macfistowannabe said:
I tend to disagree here.

Yahweh is great acoustic, but so is Satellite of Love (esp. of Sydney video/DVD), and so is Stay (esp. on Boston DVD).

Satellite Of Love and Stay are actually two of my picks for the absolute worst, heh. Though what do we define as 'acoustic'? I don't consider most of the b-stage set from ZooTV to be acoustic. Stay on ZooTV was much different to the acoustic Stay on Elevation.

Desire from Elevation, on a good day, was mildly enjoyable but still a total waste of time compared to ZooTV and especially Lovetown Desire.

I have always enjoyed the acoustic version of "Stuck In A Moment..." I mean I can see this song being sung around a campfire (as bizzare as that sounds), but it's got a nice melody and feel acoustically.

Axver said:
Satellite Of Love and Stay are actually two of my picks for the absolute worst, heh. Though what do we define as 'acoustic'? I don't consider most of the b-stage set from ZooTV to be acoustic. Stay on ZooTV was much different to the acoustic Stay on Elevation.

Desire from Elevation, on a good day, was mildly enjoyable but still a total waste of time compared to ZooTV and especially Lovetown Desire.
Acoustic - played with an acoustic guitar and sung, preferably nothing else, unless you really feel necessary to mention something.

Satellite - fit the Zoo-TV theme like a glove, and some great vocal work from Bono.

Stay (Boston) - I dig this version, I like the pull-offs on the guitar and the new arrangement. Some hated it, but they don't know what their taste buds are missing.

Desire can die for all I care. Although you're right, Zoo-TV's version was kind of cool, and I haven't heard Lovetown's, but from what I'm hearing, it's swell.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I have always enjoyed the acoustic version of "Stuck In A Moment..." I mean I can see this song being sung around a campfire (as bizzare as that sounds), but it's got a nice melody and feel acoustically.
Not my favorite song, but yeah, a nice melody anyways. Basic chords sound good together (that is, if you play it like I do, E A B C#m).

Macfistowannabe said:
Acoustic - played with an acoustic guitar and sung, preferably nothing else, unless you really feel necessary to mention something.

Alright. Because I often see people talk about ZooTV's 'acoustic set' and I just don't believe songs like Angel Of Harlem or Stay on that tour were acoustic, they were just out on the b-stage.

Satellite - fit the Zoo-TV theme like a glove, and some great vocal work from Bono.

Guess so, but I just find it a bit of a bore; the most boring part of the show apart from TTTYAATW for me.

Desire can die for all I care. Although you're right, Zoo-TV's version was kind of cool, and I haven't heard Lovetown's, but from what I'm hearing, it's swell.

The Elevation Desire at least managed to keep me mildly interested before something like Stay or TGBHF made me skip to the next track. The acoustic TGBHF really pissed me off because it's such a beautiful song full band but was too weak acoustically.

I should upload a Lovetown Desire where Edge goes nuts at the end ...

And if Van Diemen's Land counts in any way, shape, or form, that was :drool:

Axver said:
Guess so, but I just find it a bit of a bore; the most boring part of the show apart from TTTYAATW for me.
I think sometimes there's a beauty in a "weak" moment, like, say it gets you going all over again when they kick it back into high gear.

I love it when U2 strips their songs....Desire can be boring though...although the Mexico popmart attempt (keyword) was fantastic - Bono totally fucked it up...i love when they mess up

Elevation - Stay
Zoo TV - Satellite of Love
Popmart - Staring at the Sun
Vertigo - Yahweh

Macfistowannabe said:
Not my favorite song, but yeah, a nice melody anyways. Basic chords sound good together (that is, if you play it like I do, E A B C#m).

If you want a bit more of a challenge (I think it sounds better this way too) try playing it E, E/G#(4,x,2,3,2,0), A (barre @5th fret), E/G#,B,C#m.

another vote for Staring@Sun.

The acoustic version (popheart live from Rotterdam) just happened to be playing when I entered this thread so...

Yahweh! This so is suprisingly deep, and the live version gives it a new dimension. I think this is a good example of what Bono means when he says they oftentimes discover the songs when they play them live.

Staring at the Sun and Party Girl.

The vocals, particularly Edge's, on Staring at the Sun are incredible. Absolutely love that tune acoustically.

I've always liked the live version of Party Girl, but the studio version is very cool in it's own right. It sounds to me like they all got drunk - including the producer - then recorded it . Very offbeat, quirky, and spacey, but it works.

STAY from Elevation tour,
ISHFWILF from ZOOtv tour Washington '92
i also dig the new Yahweh version--it's so much better than on the album,
Angel Of Harlem from ZOOtv and Elevation at Slane tour

Let me tell you a little sometihng about Staring at the Sun Acoustic. It's Evil, pure evil. Why? Because it replaced Staring at the Sun Full Band. The Full Band version had the coolest guitar riff and tone in the history of the universe, and we only got like 5 live performances because Edge wanted to strum chords.

miss becky said:
Elevation - Stay
Zoo TV - Satellite of Love
Popmart - Staring at the Sun
Vertigo - Yahweh

Exactly right! except I haven't heard Yahweh (live) yet.

Oh... also SBS Popmart, but you know what, that may be electric.

tilen said:
Angel Of Harlem from ZOOtv and Elevation at Slane tour

How's that acoustic?

To someone else: Since when was Party Girl acoustic (besides Elevation)? Might as well say Seconds was acoustic too.

And jumpmanst's absolutely right about SATS. May acoustic SATS be sent to the hell of songs to never be played live again.

Oh, and if we are counting Edge's solo SBS on Popmart (though I don't think we can), that was amazing. :drool:

Last edited:
can i just say, for fear of getting flamed..........i do not like any of their acoustic versions of anything. maybe yahweh is better than their past attempts, but everything else has just been so damn :yawn:

Desire Elevation is NOT acoustic, first of all

i think their best acoustic song is The Ground Beneath Her Feet (i'm thinking about the Irving Plaza performance that bled right into Mysterious Ways. . . :drool: )

Desire Elevation was played on an electric guitar. . . and personally i thought the song was very intimate and very well done

Sounded acoustic enough. And ugh, it was so weak. I once thought such a brilliant song as Lovetown Desire could never be ruined ... then I played Elevation Desire and realised I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom