What is the meaning behind the "yeah yeah yeah"s in vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nurse chrissi said:
Guys if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell! - just a thought

yeah, yeah, yeah! is cool and all but really the song would have taken off with a cowbell

I wish they had really explored the space with that cowbell too.

studio.jpg

Easy, guys.. u2 puts their pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once their pants are on, they make gold records.:wink:

Winter 2003 after the Legendary Bruce Dickenson has been added to the production crew for U2's to work alongside Chris Thomas...

Bruce Dickenson "Hey babies, Bono- I could use a little more YEAH YEAH YEAH"
Chris Thomas- "I'm with ya Bruce Baby"
Larry -" But I feel Bono's 'Yeahs' take away from the song"
Adam -"Yeah - Bono's being a little selfish"
Chris Thomas- "I gotta have more YEAH YEAH YEAH's"
Edge, Larry and Adam- "Chris, you're FIRED":wink:

Last edited:
:up: This thread is brilliant. :up:

I've heard that Bono sings the yeah's to intentionally sound plain and happy, but by intentionally trying to do so, he's actually making a profound statement about how The Man is constantly telling us everything is normal and fine when we're in fact screwed.

These are the thoughts that keep me up at night.

Diemen said:
:up: This thread is brilliant. :up:

I've heard that Bono sings the yeah's to intentionally sound plain and happy, but by intentionally trying to do so, he's actually making a profound statement about how The Man is constantly telling us everything is normal and fine when we're in fact screwed.

These are the thoughts that keep me up at night.

didn't The Beatles have this problem?

This is the more cowbell skit for those of you that have not seen it on SNL - only this would be the U2 vertigo version - names of band members, producer and song have been change -that's it:)

Steve Lillywhite: Alright, guys, I think we're ready to lay this first track down. By the way, my name is Steve Lillywhite. Yes, the Steve Lillywhite. And I gotta tell you: fellas.. you have got what appears to be a dynamite sound!

Adam Clayton: Coming from you, Steve, that means a lot.

Larry Mullen: Yeah. I mean, you're Steve Lillywhite!

The Edge: It's incredible!

Bono: I can't believe Steve Lillywhite digs our sound!

Steve Lillywhite: Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "Vertigo" - take one. [ exits into the control booth ]

[ the group begins the song. Larry slaps the drums, Edge jams his guitar, Adam on bass, and Bono sings “yeah, yeah, yeah”

Edge: [ distracted by Bono’s “yeah, yeah, yeah’s” ] Okay! Wait! Wait! [ the group cuts off their instruments ] Steve, could you come in here for a minute, please?

Steve Lillywhite: [ stepping out of the booth ] That was gonna be a great track. Guys, what's the deal?

The Edge: Are you sure that was sounding okay?

Steve Lillywhite: I'll be honest.. fellas, it was sounding great. But.. I could've used a little more “yeah, yeah, yeah’s“. So.. let's take it again.. and, Bono.

Bono: Yeah?

Steve Lillywhite: Really explore the studio space this time. I mean, really.. explore the space. I like what I'm hearing.

[ the group starts the song again, as Bono sings “yeah, yeah, yeah “while dancing crazily. In the booth, Before the session is interrupted, Bono misses a “yeah”

The Edge: Okay, wait! Stop! I'm sorry. Steve, could you come back in here, please?

Steve Lillywhite: [ stepping out of the booth ] Fellas.. now, we just wasted two good tracks! That last one was even better than the first!

The Edge: Well, it's just that I find Bono’s “yeah yeah yeah” distracting! If I'm the only one, I'll shut up.

Adam: It was pretty rough..

Bono: You know, I could pull back a little. If you'd like.

Steve Lillywhite: Not too much, though! Fellas, I'm telling you - you're gonna want those yeah, yeah yeah’s on the track!

Bono : You know what? It's fine. Let's just do this thing.

[ the band starts the song once more, with Bono screaming “yeah, yeah, yeah” right next to Edge’s ear until Edge pushes him, causing Adam to fall ]

The Edge: [ stopping the song again, fighting Bono] Come on, people!

Steve Lillywhite: [ running out of the booth again ] That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more “yeah yeah yeah“!

Larry : [ grabs Bono's shirt ] Don't blow this for us, Bono!

Adam: Yeah, quit being so selfish, Bono!

Bono: Can I just say one thing?

Steve Lillywhite: Say it, baby. Say it.

Bono: I'm standing here, staring at Steve Lillywhite!

Steve Lillywhite: The cock of the walk, baby!

Bono: And if Steve Lillywhite wants more “yeah!”, we should probably give him more “yeah“!

Steve Lillywhite: Say it, baby!

Bono: And, Larry, you are right - I am being selfish. But the last time I checked, we don't have a whole lot of songs that feature “yeah, yeah, yeah” .

Steve Lillywhite: I gotta have more “ yeah, yeah yeah!”, baby!

Bono: ..and I'll be doing myself a disservice -- and every member in this band, if I don't perform the hell out of this.

Steve Lillywhite: Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more “Yeah Yeah Yeah!!”

Bono: Thanks, Steve. But I think, maybe if I just leave.. and, maybe I'll come back later, and we can lay down the “yeah, yeah, yeah’s!”. [ starts to leave the studio ]

Steve Lillywhite: Aw, baby..

The Edge: Bono, wait! Why don't you lay down those “yeah, yeah, yeah’s” right now. With us. Together.

[ everyone agrees ]

Bono: Do you mean that, Edge?

Adam: He speaks for all of us.

Bono: Thank you.

Steve Lillywhite: Babies.. before we're done here.. y'all be wearing gold-plated diapers.

Larry: [ confused ] What does that mean?

Steve Lillywhite: Never question Steve Lillywhite! Roll it! [ exits back to booth ]

Bono: [ ready to lay the complete track down ] 1, 2, 3, 14.

Last edited:
ponkine said:
U2 loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah :yes:

U2 says they loves you
And you know that can’t be bad.

Yes, U2 loves you
And you know you should be glad. Oooooh!

Wait a minute...now the "Ooooh's" of Elevation have been made clearly known....There is deep profound meaning there as well! Where's my gold-plated diaper??!!

moooahhahahahah
this whole thread is cracking the gold plated diapers offa me!
does this mean that the sexy bono moans on pop are from bonos inner child?
and unos means hes predicting that the apocalipse will occur on the first of next month?:ohmy:
well shite
better be getting that album on the shelves now

Back
Top Bottom