What is the litmus test necessary to be considered a "GOOD" U2 Fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
I am very sincere in this question.

In recent months it has become apparent that there are some in here who feel that there are certain standards to being a U2 fan.

What is required in your mind to be a "GOOD" fan?

standards to being a U2 fan

How dreadful. Hope there isn't anyone who thinks that. But I see what you mean, actually.
U2 fans should include, not exclude. It's all about the music and the ideas behind it.
But you should like the music ... that is maybe the only requirement ;)

I think the biggest factor is actually knowing what a litmus is. Then, and only then, can you be a real U2 fan!

Definitely the music, but I'm not content with just that--I gotta love the man behind the words, the voice, the shades, oh the lovely man, blue eyes, strong hands...

Oh. sorry. wrong forum.

Um, the music. yea, that's it. :huh:

This entire idea of a 'good' fan is just plain bollocks. Whatever happened to simply enjoying the music?

Hi!

To be a good U2 fan....one must like all things U2......:wink:

Now....your next level to attain.....is the ultimate ... "a devoted U2 fan"...and that is difficult to achieve. :yikes: :dancing: :camera: :rockon: :applaud: :combust:

carol
wizard2c
:|

PS: I have not yet myself attained that most preciousness of U2 fan-ness.

Besides just liking their music, how about trying to LIVE THEIR MUSIC?

WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:yes:

Dreadsox said:

I fall short in just about all areas, but I'll try to explain the requirements as I know them. It is not just liking U2's music, going to their shows, etc.

It also includes liking the proper other bands/artists, and having the right views, opinions, beliefs, etc. And I repeat, I fall short of the glory, my friend.

~U2Alabama

Re: Re: What is the litmus test necessary to be considered a "GOOD" U2 Fan?

U2Bama said:

I fall short in just about all areas, but I'll try to explain the requirements as I know them. It is not just liking U2's music, going to their shows, etc.

It also includes liking the proper other bands/artists, and having the right views, opinions, beliefs, etc. And I repeat, I fall short of the glory, my friend.

~U2Alabama

Uh oh....I guess I'm in deep shit then. :shifty: :uhoh:

I also can recite the bar codes to every album and single.
backwards.
If you can't do that you are pathetic and not worthy of breathing the same air as I.
I also know what color socks Paul M's driver wore to every show since Boston '81.

If you can't do that then someone should take away your cd's and you should be imprisoned on an island where you have to read all the posts on interference but never hear the music.
Its only fair.

alreadygone said:

...this and not being an a**hole to other fans, no matter how many shows they've seen (or not) and no matter when they became fans. If they're a fan, they get it, and that's all that matters. We're all kindred spirits, here.

:D :D :D

I agree with you there! Lovin' the music is the main thing -- but just because I'm younger and haven't seen them live (yet, :wink:) doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan than any others... A fan's a fan!

I also can recite the bar codes to every album and single.
backwards.
If you can't do that you are pathetic and not worthy of breathing the same air as I.
I also know what color socks Paul M's driver wore to every show since Boston '81.

If you can't do that then someone should take away your cd's and you should be imprisoned on an island where you have to read all the posts on interference but never hear the music.
Its only fair.

Oops double post.
Ok, all kidding aside.
You when you are a fan?
When people at work, friends and family call to tell you something U2 related.
"Hey Dave, U2 was put in the hall of fame last night!"
Uh...yeah, Thanks mom. I know.
"Hey Dave, I heard Vertigo on the radio on my way to work" Uh...ok thanks.
"Hey did you get the new album?" That is my favorite.
You spend years tracking the band's every move, Bono's whereabout, Edge';s mood, EVERYTHING!, You get the album as soon as it leaks and then a month after it is in stores your co-worker thinks they are giving you the "scoop" by telling you the album is at Best Buy.
it is so funny because what can you say?
How can you explain your utter devotion, your sickness, your obsession without sounding..well...really pathetic?
Lol.
I feel bad because my mom can never get me anything U2 related as a gift because I inevitably already have it.

I think a "good" fan (of any band or musician, not just U2), is willing to look at and accept (at least accept that they exist) all aspects of the band -- the good, the bad, and the just plain ugly. I also think a "good" fan allows other fans to express their opinions on the band without attacking. Even if the views aren't popular.

Dreadsox said:
I am very sincere in this question.

In recent months it has become apparent that there are some in here who feel that there are certain standards to being a U2 fan.

To look at a thread like this and think "what a dumbass thing to ask"

alreadygone said:
...this and not being an a**hole to other fans, no matter how many shows they've seen (or not) and no matter when they became fans. If they're a fan, they get it, and that's all that matters. We're all kindred spirits, here.

:D :D :D

:yes: :up:. I'll also ditto just liking the music as well. That's good enough criteria for me.

Angela

Liking the music, yeah.

Also recognising when U2 have seriously fucked up, when they have released dud records (as well as the brilliant ones), and when what they say is dripping in irony and sarcasm.

But otherwise, seeing them as the deities they are.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom