What is the craziest thing Bono has done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shopgirl144

Babyface
Anyone have an opinion?

I think that the craziest thing he's done was take his clothes off in a restaurant, while dining with friends, and ate his dinner in the nude. Although I really do not know this entire story, maybe someone can shed some light. Did Bono drink too much vino that night? Or, is this a silly story someone made up?

I heard a story where he striped down to his underwear so that the interviewer wouldn't ask him any serious questions.

But never heard about this.:shrug:

I think getting married at 22 and staying that way for 23 years running is pretty damn insane....admirably so!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Didn't he also drop his pants and show all to some women when he was much younger, wasn't there some story like that somewhere?

I thought that was Adam :shrug:

read bill flanagan's book and read the part about when they're playing germany in 93 and bono starts doing the nazi stormtrooper walk in the intro to zoo station. as a matter of fact, he also does the "hie hitler" salute but then pushes his arm down. actually, he does it in the zootv from sidney video also. I guess it became part of the show.
I think that was a pretty crazy thing to do in germany, even though it had symbolic significance and all.

also, zootv BTBS in 93 from london when he starts going off about bosnia saying "fuck you germany; fuck you france..." etc.
I guess that's more ballsy than crazy. he was right after all.

I think his sinatra speech in 94 was crazy, but in a real good way.

ahhhh.....bono of the 90's..........:drool:

Spray painting that monument on Rattle and Hum in public for a concert and then having to pay a fine for it?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Didn't he also drop his pants and show all to some women when he was much younger, wasn't there some story like that somewhere?
Dunno if I'm thinking of the same thing as you, but I remember reading something that says he and Gavin and Guggi were driving around, and Bono went to moon someone at the traffic lights or something, and in the process accidentally, erm... revealed himself to some old ladies.

Y2K said:
Spray painting that monument on Rattle and Hum in public for a concert and then having to pay a fine for it?

He had to pay? :uhoh:

Meghan said:

Dunno if I'm thinking of the same thing as you, but I remember reading something that says he and Gavin and Guggi were driving around, and Bono went to moon someone at the traffic lights or something, and in the process accidentally, erm... revealed himself to some old ladies.

:yes: And apparently, they were quite impressed with what they saw. :wink: It was in the book Unforgettable Fire.

JOFO said:
also, zootv BTBS in 93 from london when he starts going off about bosnia saying "fuck you germany; fuck you france..." etc.
I guess that's more ballsy than crazy. he was right after all.

I think his sinatra speech in 94 was crazy, but in a real good way.

ahhhh.....bono of the 90's..........:drool:
is this speech about bosnia in flanagan's book?

U2girl said:
Climbing the balconys and speakers in arenas during their early shows.

You mean something like this....

April_1983.jpg

:crazy:

What the band feels was the craziest and most irresponsible thing he did was at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in June 1983, where he climbed the scaffolding like you see in the photo above. He then climbed into the first section of seats elevated above the floor and went through the audience up there. I believe there was a flag involved somehow and that it got torn to pieces. Bono then dropped off this level of seats, to the floor 20 feet below. Of course he had security guys to catch him, but then at least 1 member of the audience also jumped off the ledge and was just lucky that audience members caugt him.

hcbiggs2002 said:

You mean something like this....

April_1983.jpg

:crazy:

Yeah, that's up there for Bono's craziness.

If you have the Red Rocks video, during "Electric Co." Bono wanders off the rest of the band are playing, then you see Bono on the top of the stage.

Adam has this grin on his face, then notices where Bono is, and his face turns to "shock/oh what's he doing now?"

Didn't Bono do this at the first Live Aid also? I think he spotted a girl from far away and left the stage for a really long time to go get her and bring her on stage and the band was really pissed at him. Didn't he almost quit the band over this?

shopgirl144 said:
Didn't Bono do this at the first Live Aid also? I think he spotted a girl from far away and left the stage for a really long time to go get her and bring her on stage and the band was really pissed at him. Didn't he almost quit the band over this?

hmm... I know Bono kinda jumped off the stage during.. uhh, Bad, i think, because the security guys were taking too long to get the girl... eh, i dunno... he wasn't off the stage for too long...and he didnt even bring her on stage... just a long hug. why would they be pissed at him?

I think they were pissed because he left the stage. Supposedly, the incident almost broke up the band.

I believe I read this in the book "Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas", but I don't have the book with me, so I cannot be sure.

They were pissed because they hadn't gotten to play Pride, which was their hit, because Bono took so long in the crowd with the girl. Bono wasn't really ready to quit the band over it, but he felt really stupid about it & really put himself down about it. People started telling him that it was THE moment of Live Aid, but he didn't believe it until he saw some random sculptor that he met show him a sculpture of the moment he hugged the girl. --from the Assayas book.

One of the more dangerous things I can think of was from the USFestival...where he climbed to the top of the stage scaffolding with the white flag (like in the picture above) and then threw it into the audience like a spear!!!! No one was hurt, but he very nearly could've impaled someone!

The climbing stuff is what got the band really pissed at him in the early days. That's what Edge punched him over (referenced in Bono's speech at the R&R Hall of Fame, as well as the UF book). After falling and nearly killing himself a few times, the band finally convinced him to stop doing it by pointing out that everyone who worked for Principle Managment & the rest of the U2 organization---their jobs & their families' livelihoods depended on Bono and the band.....God forbid he fell & killed himself...they'd all be screwed. That finally got him to stop climbing scaffolding & crowd surfing!

Back
Top Bottom