What Is The Best U2 Song Of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't get into the boring details of where I was, what I was doing, etc - but when I first heard Bad in 1984 on the radio I could not believe what I was listening to.

The momentum of the song just floored me. I remember, no pun intended, feeling this desperation trying to figure out if the song was a new U2 song or not. The DJ never came back on the radio to give a post song wrap-up.

So I grabbed the phone book and ripped through the pages trying to find the radio station's telephone number. When I got it, I dialed and dialed and dailed until I broke through the countless busy signals. Finally someone answered and very politely answered my questions. He said it was a new U2 song off the "Unforgettable Fire" album; and it was called "Bad". I asked if it was going to be in the normal rotation and he said probably.

I was still in high school at the time and I vividly remember taking a day off from school to sit around the house waiting for that song. When I saw U2 play it during Live-Aid it was the most powerful musical experience I had ever seen then. Ironically, I became addicted to a song that decries the perils of addiction...

Anyway, Bad has been with me ever since. I don't feel embarrassed to say that I couldn't imagine life without that song.

Last edited:
If I was stranded on a deserted island and I could only choose 1 song to accompany me, it most definitely be "Where the Streets have no name." (there would be no streets on the island so it wouldn't make much sense)

I really can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet:

New Year's Day

Why is it my favorite U2 song?

It's force of motion...that bass line drives like a Porsche on a narrow European alleyway.

It's depth of sound...Bono's vocal range is well-utilized (especially that crazy scream-thing at the beginning) and Edge's guitar has the coolest distortion going on. I don't know how they did it, but at times it sounds like he is really distant and other times really close.

The mood it invokes...I rediscovered this song after a summer backpacking through Europe and meeting really interesting people. The words, combined with the energy and sound, make me remember that particular soul-searching and horizon-expanding time of my life.

Also, a songs in a minor key are always more interesting than songs in a major one.

This is my first post after 7 years of just reading interference.com haha..
:wink: I have to say that One is U2's best song, not necessarily my favourite everyday and I can't listen to it all the time and live I would have to say Bad transcends better live and on the other hand I find sitting at home upset or trying to accept something for some reason or another One is just the best song ever.. it always hits home when you want it too :) Bad and Streets appeal to me the most live, it's the high point of any U2 concert, I love Running to stand still live with the halleh lullah (check spelling).. cheers

For me it was New Years Day. I heard this song. and as weird as it sounds, when I heard NYD, I felt an incredible sense of hope from that point on.. Things may not change on New Years Day, but life does change
U2 has been with me through an incredible amount of love, life and death..
I will never stop listening. :heart:

Last edited:
Mercy, hahahahha no it is not that great, for me it has to be Where The Streets Have No Name, that song is pure perfection.

In gods country-The core of it all. The edge's sound, the atmosphere they create in all their songs. Adam is represented well in the bridge of the song as well. Barely at three minutes, this song is the heart of U2. It simply gives me goose bumps even though I have heart this song so many times.

Where The Streets Have No Name - from intro to end, the greatest song I've heard by U2 or anyone else. Nothing compares to hearing it live. It just feels like the "perfect" song.

My favorite is "I still haven't found". The melody has this epic feel to it that I really like.

Tough question, but I'm going to go with:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I hated this song when I first heard it. I kept waiting for the usual U2 lift off and it never came. I originally loved Bullet The Blue Sky (which I still do), but over the years I found myself attracted to the subtly of I Still Haven't Found. It has a great lyric, and a simple guitar structure, yet it is one of the most powerful, meaningful songs I have ever heard.

A classic, no doubt.

First off, it is funny to see that the thread said NOT to post our top three songs and then so many of us just can't pick one song.

My vote goes for One. This song works on so many levels. The story behind the song, as was mentioned in an earlier post, is very compelling--the song that was given as a gift to the band to save it.

But the song is bigger than even the band's interpretation. I put this song in what I like to call the 'Imagine' category. It has that universal quality to it. Some of my favorite versions of this song are from Bono's Jubilee campaign.

Damn tough question

One song? Damn that is tough.

I'm sorry - there are so many I love I have to list 3.

5. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
4. Pride
3. Bad
2. One
1. Where the Streets have no Name

Where the Streets Have No Name - if you witnessed this song live, then you'd know that it is the best. It's an unexplainable thing that happens, very spiritual.

One..... the most powerful song anyone has ever written.

a close second is all i want is you, because the ending sends shivers up my spine.....

Back
Top Bottom