What is the best opening band you've seen on a U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
I've seen each tour at least once since the Joshua Tree tour.

I'd have to say, for me personally, PJ Harvey was the best, though I know she was not well received by all U2 fans.

The worst, for me, was Primus. Please, make it stop.

I haven't been to any U2 tours yet, but I would've loved to have seen The Alarm back in the days of War.

Not looking forward to Kings Of Leon in Boston.

Kings of Leon are not very great live, but there latest CD is seriously good, there music is good, most the lyrics suck. But they have some really good songs, just not very good live IMO.
Rage against the machine was an awesome opener!

I liked when Lone Justice opened. They were not great or anything, but they set a decent mood, or so I thought.

Hell, that was my first ever concert, of any variety, anyone could have opened and I'd have loved it.

Kings of Leon, by far. Those little whippersnappers can play.

Second place: No Doubt
Third place: Oasis (great band, but they sucked when they played Oakland before U2 in '97)

EDIT: I forgot all about Rage Against the Machine, when they opened during the first leg of PopMart. On opening night, they completely stole the show. U2 sounded awful by comparison!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Garbage most of all. Lone Justice seemed to be the best fit, overall. Public Enemy did not reach me, nor did B.A.D. II. Believe it or not, Third Eye Blind ("Semi-charmed kind of life") was a fun opening act.

I liked No Doubt...

Was not impressed with Oasis when they opened for U2 in Oakland in 97. Actually they bored me and my hubby, and my hubby loves them.

Kyra1 said:
The Dalton Brothers, JT tour, Indianapolis, November 1, 1987.

hahaha nice choice. could you tell from the audience that it was actually the guys, or were you all just left scratching your heads?

beli said:

Watch out, the flames will be coming soon.

Did BB King actually play a set before U2 took the stage along with joining U2 for the mini-set later in the show?

Axver said:

Watch out, the flames will be coming soon.

Did BB King actually play a set before U2 took the stage along with joining U2 for the mini-set later in the show?

Yep.

Weddings, Parties, Anything played for a while.

Then BB King

Then U2.

But I missed Weddings on all 3 nights because I was staffing an Amnesty stall in the foyer.

beli said:

Yep.

Weddings, Parties, Anything played for a while.

Then BB King

Then U2.

But I missed Weddings on all 3 nights because I was staffing an Amnesty stall in the foyer.

That would've been awesome, or at least the BB King --> U2 bit. I know I've heard stuff by Weddings, Parties, Anything, but it was a few years ago and I now haven't the faintest clue what it even sounded like.

Best:
I thought Rage Against The Machine was awesome, flat out awesome when I saw them on POPmart.

Worst:
Third Eye Blind. Do I need to explain this?

best: Stereo MCs (1993), Fantastische 4 (1997)

worst: Fatima Mansions (1992), Söhne Mannheims (2001)

Back
Top Bottom