What is the best opening band you've seen on a U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I haven't been to any U2 tours yet, but I would've loved to have seen The Alarm back in the days of War.

So would've I! I spent a few years then searching for a boot, Hammersmith Palais March 83 with them and Stuart Adamson (Big Country, rest his soul) on stage with U2. Damn!:madspit: (You don't happen to have it, do you?????) :wink:

Best: BAD II, ZooTv, tho I spent a lot of time pondering the irony of a punk hero like Mick Jones who INFLUENCED U2, SUPPORTING U2. Oh well, :shrug:

LyricalDrug said:
I forgot all about Rage Against the Machine, when they opened during the first leg of PopMart. On opening night, they completely stole the show. U2 sounded awful by comparison!

:drool: :yes: evil empire was ratm in their prime!!!

Pixies - hands down.

I did not catch Rage open up for U2, though I've seen them live 2 times, and they are/were the tightest live band I have ever seen.

I would have sold some blood to see them open for U2.

Miggy D said:
The Europeans get The Killers AND Snow Patrol! DAMNIT!

And who do we, the Americans, get?

Kings of Leon.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You shouldn't be complaining, the kings of leon are very, very, good band. my mate who i'm going to see U2 with is distraught that they are supporting in America and not over here.

I'm looking foward to the Kings of Leon, as I've seen them a few months back. They'll be the best when I see them (Chicago).

As for worst, that would be Third Eye Blind. Jesus Christ they were terrible. The lead singer sounded like a crying girl and he kept saying stuff like "Oh my god, are you ready for U2". I really feel sorry for those who saw Smash Mouth open up. I think U2 should have just hired Dogs catching frisbies or put a lawn on stage so fans could watch grass grow insead of those 2 bands.

I also so the Pixies but I was very young (8th grade) and was just waiting to see U2.

zoopop said:
I really feel sorry for those who saw Smash Mouth open up. I think U2 should have just hired Dogs catching frisbies or put a lawn on stage so fans could watch grass grow insead of those 2 bands.

LOL! I was one of the poor people who had to see Smash Mouth. That was one of the longest half-hours of my life. :wink:

MumblingBono said:
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. No brainer.

But seriously, PJ Harvey was electrifying.

I remember sitting and watching the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and wondering to myself "Self, when does time move slower, when you are at work and bored, when you are in a classroom and bored, when you are on a treadmill, or when you are watching the Dsiposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy". I still don't really know the answer.

PJ Harvey was indeed electrifying, I loved Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, so listening to a lot of those songs LIVE was a treat.

Does the Conspiracy of Hope show count? Sting and Peter Gabriel, etc. were nice "openers". :)

the Pretenders was the only opener I ever cared about seeing and they were fantastic.

I couldn't even tell you if there was on opening band for the Zoo, Pop, or Elevation shows I was at...and I really don't give a rat's ass about whoever is opening in Denver next week. U2 doesn't need an opening act, just play an extra half hour! :)

No spoken words said:
I've seen each tour at least once since the Joshua Tree tour.

I'd have to say, for me personally, PJ Harvey was the best, though I know she was not well received by all U2 fans.

The worst, for me, was Primus. Please, make it stop.

Best - Tie. Comsat Angels/Waterboys
Worst - Kings of Leon

Garbage was good - No Doubt was good - Third Eye Blind was good - but god, Primus was a nightmare. That and the fact that I had the Zoo TV backdrop staring me in the face the whole time - TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

No spoken words said:
I've seen each tour at least once since the Joshua Tree tour.

I'd have to say, for me personally, PJ Harvey was the best, though I know she was not well received by all U2 fans.

The worst, for me, was Primus. Please, make it stop.

I saw PJ Harvey with U2 in Houston during the Elevation tour. She sucked! She played her set like she couldn't give a damn about and hated the audience. Such contempt. Later i read an interview with her talking about touring with the band and she basically snubbed the band saying things basically like U2 are sell outs, their best days are behind them, and the music is not of any note. I can't remember exact quotes, but that was the vibe she was putting on in the article. Talk about ungrateful.

Re: Re: What is the best opening band you've seen on a U2 tour?

adam3000 said:

I saw PJ Harvey with U2 in Houston during the Elevation tour. She sucked! She played her set like she couldn't give a damn about and hated the audience. Such contempt. Later i read an interview with her talking about touring with the band and she basically snubbed the band saying things basically like U2 are sell outs, their best days are behind them, and the music is not of any note. I can't remember exact quotes, but that was the vibe she was putting on in the article. Talk about ungrateful.

I'm confused by the use of the word "ungrateful". I've seen PJ Harvey play her own show here late last year and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. She has her own following and is held in high critical regard by a lot of musicians and the music media. I don't think she necessarily was looking to "convert" the U2 audience to her music and to become a bigger selling artist (the same feeling I have about the Pixies opening for U2). They both probably took it on as a commercial opportunity (ie to make some big bucks) and to go outside their usual audience and play stadiums/arenas.

Her music can be quite dark and moody, and while I personally love it, it's probably not what American fans waiting for U2 want to hear.

LyricalDrug said:
Kings of Leon, by far. Those little whippersnappers can play.

Second place: No Doubt
Third place: Oasis (great band, but they sucked when they played Oakland before U2 in '97)

EDIT: I forgot all about Rage Against the Machine, when they opened during the first leg of PopMart. On opening night, they completely stole the show. U2 sounded awful by comparison!

Fook off with No Doubt, shite band.

Back
Top Bottom