What is Salome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacPhysto

The Fly
This may sound like a stupid question but what is Salome. I made a search on morpheus and it gave me like 8 songs. What are they. Never heard of them before .

Thanx

i believe they are from the achtung baby outtakes. ya know, working songs that never really made it to the album.

so really, theyre bsides.

------------------
-death bear

[This message has been edited by Quano Abidji-Achibi (edited 10-18-2001).]

salome outtakes.... are the outtakes from Achtung baby. story goes that bono left the tape in the car, lent his car to someone and didn't realize the tapes were gone until much later. eventually they found their way online and in various independent record stores. (I bought my set from one of those places.) Its weird to listen to them because there are songs on there from the AB era.... that the melodies are being used now. they get to be a bit tedious, cos its non-stop try-and retry of some of the same songs.
AND as for 'salome' the song, it is a b-side; and the story about salome is that she was a 'temptress' back in the days of Christ. She would dance for the king, and when the king wanted someone killed - he would get her to dance to distract the men. (so that was her "job" so to say) Do I think I am a salome...... maybe a little bit, but mostly its cos I like the song.

------------------
...and may your dreams be realized...

Isn't Salome an Oscar Wilde play??

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

Great song!

Though... I dunno if I've heard the others.

SkeeK? lol.... u got em?

biggrin.gif

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

Sicy's Website

I got those outtakes. They are certainly swell lemme tell you!

My favourite version of Salome is the 12 minute instrumental one.
wink.gif

they are available over all the popular ftp servers as far as I know-u2bloodredsky.com, and i think it's on that zooropa one as well.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

The Salome discs represent something very unique for collectors. Normally we are only privileged to hear the final (album) versions of songs and some fairly developed outtakes that demonstrate different finishes of a particular basic song skeleton. Salome is a bunch of outtakes and half-songs that represent the very early phases of the development of many of the Achtung Baby songs, and provides rare insight into the earlier phases of U2's song-making process. One can actually observe the development of the basic structure of several songs.

For instance, without the Salome recordings we would never have known that major parts of Ultraviolet and The Fly are both derived from an early version of Lady with the Spinning Head. A really rowdy and nearly finished version of Acrobat is on there. The development of Until the End of the World is seen in the song "I Feel Free", of which 3 rocking versions are present. And the bridge to Wild Horses is also present in a very early form. It's very neat stuff, although the vaguely-formed character to much of the music requires a lot of patience to get through.

It's also pretty neat because it's so raw emotionally and musically.

Ha--yep, I knew I was right.
tongue.gif

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

I never downloaded it, but after reading this thread, I just felt like it.

It's pretty obvious that Zoo Station's bass line has derived from the song 'Salome'.

But even if we didn't have the Salome outtakes, we would have known that The Fly and Ultraviolet are from Lady with the Spinning Head. The final version sounds a lot like them... When the first chord of LWTSH starts, we immediatly notice that The Fly comes from it. And the solo is very similar... As for Ultraviolet, the 'I want to get it wrong' part is easy to spot in LWTSH...
wink.gif

I just love that song! (somehow, I started talking about Salome and finished with talking about LWTSH, heh)

I finally put a signature, woohoo!

------------------
"You see things and say 'Why?'; but I dream things that never were and I say 'Why not?'" -- George Bernard Shaw

Back
Top Bottom