What is it about Ultraviolet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stryker395

The Fly
I absolutely love AB, but I just can't get this song. I've been listening to it a lot lately. I've tried to get into it and I think it gets a little better every time I listen to it. However, I still think that it is possibly the weakest track on the album.

Maybe I'm just not getting it like everyone else.:|

Have I finally found someone who agrees with me?

I personally find UV majorly detracts from AB. It should have been a b-side.

The best part about this song is Bono's falsetto during the choruses on top of the ultraviolet's. I look for it every time I listen to it. It's such an obsession song...all those baby baby baby's.

It's still one of my favorites off of AB. :up:

Axver said:
Have I finally found someone who agrees with me?

I personally find UV majorly detracts from AB. It should have been a b-side.

It just doesn't have much lyrically. The music is alright, but the lyrics tend to repeat themselves. I don't know what it is, but I think it just isn't quite up to par with the rest of the album.

I love Ultraviolet. I don't know why, I just do. I like the lyrics. When I was so messed up, and I had opera in my head, your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed... I think it's romantic, it's very, "it's good to be home, I had almost lost my way back."

madonna's child said:
I love Ultraviolet. I don't know why, I just do. I like the lyrics. When I was so messed up, and I had opera in my head, your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed... I think it's romantic, it's very, "it's good to be home, I had almost lost my way back."

Might I just say that I've already emailed you once, but I'd just like to say once again, that your wallpapers are awesome. Keep up the great work.:wink:

Stryker395 said:

It just doesn't have much lyrically. The music is alright, but the lyrics tend to repeat themselves. I don't know what it is, but I think it just isn't quite up to par with the rest of the album.

Ugh, I hate the lyrics. They sound like those of a boyband and have utterly no substance at all. And I find the music to be pretty boring.

Axver said:
It should have been a b-side.

I think that I could perhaps agree with you, on this one; maybe "Ultraviolet" is more of a b-side than a standard album track. At the same time, though, I'm VERY glad that it's on the album.

First of all (and this is a point on which EVERYONE will feel a bit differently...no right or wrong), I really like most of the lyrics to the song. It's nothing outstanding in my mind, but I enjoy most Bono's lyrics, his vocals are strong, and the narrative viewpoint if fascinating to disentangle and map out.

I do think that the song has the sound of a b-side, but I really appreciate that sort of rawness on the album. Rather than dragging U2's best album down, I think that "Ultraviolet" keeps things VERY interesting towards the end; I think that Achtung Baby ends more strongly than any U2 album ever has or ever will, and I feel that this song is a part of that. There is a vitality to the song which is indispensible; ironically enough, I'm a proponent of adding "Are You Gonna' Wait Forever?" to the new album...as track 11 on what I'd like to have been a 12 track album, by the way. Neither of these songs are tops, but they're both exciting and energetic precisely BECAUSE they're not the greatest songs out there. I'm pretty sure that, for a while, Larry even loses a drumstick during the version we have on CD...it doesn't detract from the song at all, but it sure makes it seem alive and potent...!

It's beautiful, it's one of my AB favorites.

I didn't think I'd see the day where there was someone who didn't like it. :coocoo: ...............:wink: To each their own.

Ultraviolet fits the vibe of the album.. maintains the energy level.. keeps you interested to the end. I couldn't image Achtung Baby without it. Okay, maybe the lyrics aren't particularly profound, but you could say that about a good chunck of the album.

B-side? No!

Stryker395 said:
I absolutely love AB, but I just can't get this song. I've been listening to it a lot lately. I've tried to get into it and I think it gets a little better every time I listen to it. However, I still think that it is possibly the weakest track on the album.

Maybe I'm just not getting it like everyone else.:|

I tought it too... ...and I didn't believe that Brian Eno considered one of its favorite AB songs (he was delighted by "that elicopterish sound")... ...but during ZOOTV the song was a great performance and above all it acquired a very deep meaning with the video footage (behind the band) of a notorius deaf and blind English TV journalist who mimed all the lyrics with the language for deafs.

What can you not like about ultraviolet, excellent riff and singing, bass and drums and a hummable tune wtf it's class

I also love Ultraviolet, and I liked it when in ZooTV Bono would start this song with "Help" from The Beatles.

"When I was so messed up, and I heard opera in my head, your love was a light bulb hanging over my head."

UV is possible my favourite u2 song ever. I loev the whole feel of the song. When I listen to it it feels like I'm asking to my partner to help me and save me from myself. Which I have actually needed to do before. I love this song.

'Baby, baby, baby....light my way...'

Last edited:
To say that the lyrics have no substance is nonsense, If anything I find them some of the most profound lyrics on the album. The general consensus seems to be that they are based around the bible story of Job, the man who lost everything except his faith in God. The only thing he knew for certain was that God was there to look after him (Light his way) in his journey through life, even though, because of what had happened to him he couldn't always see it, hence the title of the song, - humans can't see ultra violet light, even though its there

I remember when we could sleep on stones...
( when love was so easy nothing could bother us)
and now we lay together in whispers and in moans...
( now its such a struggle)

light my waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy-

its a call to the one you love and who loves you to not give up on you even though your having some hards times and said and ddone some shitty things and just feeling like a big baby...its pleading and its strength and its heartbreak - it conveys real need

Last edited:
Stryker395 said:

Might I just say that I've already emailed you once, but I'd just like to say once again, that your wallpapers are awesome. Keep up the great work.:wink:
Aww, thanks! :cute:

Back
Top Bottom