"What Is It about 'Always'?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I've notice a lot of fans here realy love this song. Some people say that should have put it of ATYCLB instead of 'beautiful Day'. That's just crazy to me. What is it about this song people like so much.

i'm one of those people. i don't know. i read that it basically gave birth the "beautiful day" and maybe "beautiful day" is just a really amazing song, but it's been driven into so many's heads by the radio and the television, that people got a little sick of it, and that wasn't the case with "always".

but i don't really think that's the case. i know that i like "always" better than "beautiful day" for the same reason i might like "hallelujah here she comes" better than "trip through your wires". and i don't have a clue how to put that into words. i just like it better. there's something in the music that draws me to that song more than the other.

and i really like "always". it's one of my favourite songs ever.

(bumping the thread cos i know there are more of you out there and i'm just as interested in hearing other people's take on this as gherman is)

I like it. I understand why people would like it more than Beautiful Day.

I still think Beautiful Day was much more deserving of being on the album.

I like the lyrics of Always

and there's the "and always wear a saftey belt" line

great...now i really want to listen to this song...but if i put the cd in now, i won't go to bed in 15 minutes like i planned to...i'll be here all night listening to it...well, that and summer rain...

Always has a little more jump and vigor than Beautiful Day... plus it says Dream Out Loud; where have I heard that before (many times)?

Lyric is good... why am I always agreeing with mofo. There must be something wrong with me.

I think I'll take "you been all over and it's been all over you" instead of "and always wear a safety belt (Always)"

I don't know what it is, exactly. I love Always AND Beautiful Day. I think what I love about Always is all the little caring sayings throughout the song. It's more than that, but that's part of it.

she's gonna dream of the world she wants to live in she's gonna dream out loud

I'm listening to it now. It's ok. I think I like that Beautiful Day made the album and not Always. It's a good song but I think Beautiful Day was the better choice in terms of ATYCLB. I don't think Always would have been as popular as Beautiful Day had it been put on ATYCLB. That's important because at the time ATYCLB came out I wasn't a big U2 fan yet and Beautiful Day is what made me want that album.

I actually used to skip over Always when I first bought 7 because I didn't like it all that much. The background vocals for 'always' kind of bugged. Lyrically I like it so I listen to it every so often but I'm one of those who doesn't really dislike a U2 song. I may skip over some at times but I wouldn't ever say I don't like a song. I'm generally going to find something within the song I like whether it's vocals, music, or lyrics I can find something that's going to make me want to hear the song again.

Last edited:
i'm listening to it now. ok, i was, but now beatiful day is playing...i see why BD is more popular. but i still like always better...there's more guitar in the begining. sure, beautiful day has the insane guitar stuff in it towards the end, and maybe "more" isn't quite the right word.

i LIKE the background vocals

i think i just like the melody better. or something. lyrics too...but the music is more important to me than the lyrics, in any case...

i didn't know "always" existed until i was surfing around the internet at about 4 am once and it was playing on some website.

[/nonsense rambling]

I like Always better (probably because it wasn't ridiculously overplayed and remains a gem of a B-side) but I think Beautiful Day is more deserving of album status.
I love the verse:
Be the arrow, and the target
Put your head over the parapet
Be uncool, yes be awkward
Don't look in the obvious place
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate.

That just makes me happy.

Schmeg said:
I like Always better (probably because it wasn't ridiculously overplayed and remains a gem of a B-side) but I think Beautiful Day is more deserving of album status.
I love the verse:
Be the arrow, and the target
Put your head over the parapet
Be uncool, yes be awkward
Don't look in the obvious place
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate.

That just makes me happy.

:yes: The whole song just puts a huge smile on my face!

Now I want to listen to it but my CD's are in the car!!

...where I always wear a safetly belt...

I couldn't help that, I'm sorry lol.

Schmeg said:
Now I want to listen to it but my CD's are in the car!!

...where I always wear a safetly belt...

I couldn't help that, I'm sorry lol.

:lol: See, you can apply all those little sayings in Always to your life!

cujo said:
Always has a little more jump and vigor than Beautiful Day... plus it says Dream Out Loud; where have I heard that before (many times)?

Lyric is good... why am I always agreeing with mofo. There must be something wrong with me.

I'll agree with both you and mofo. :wave:

I don't know I just get this feeling listening to'Beutiful Day' that can't be matched. 'Always' sounds like early 80's U2... today. It's good to me but got great like BD

gherman said:
I don't know I just get this feeling listening to'Beutiful Day' that can't be matched. 'Always' sounds like early 80's U2... today. It's good to me but got great like BD

:hmm: I wonder if that's it. I never even thought about it that way before, but I've been totally in love with early U2 lately because Boy and October were actually the last albums I heard, with the exception of ATYCLB, so they're newer to me than JT, AB, and the like...if that makes any sense at all! :lol:

IWasBored said:
and maybe "beautiful day" is just a really amazing song, but it's been driven into so many's heads by the radio and the television, that people got a little sick of it, and that wasn't the case with "always".
I really think that is about the strangest reason to prefer one song over the other

a song doesn't become worse because it has been played over the radio 3 billion times

Beautiful Day is the far superior song
it has tons of energy
all the instruments work better in that setting
and even the lyrics are just that little bit better

Salome said:
I really think that is about the strangest reason to prefer one song over the other

a song doesn't become worse because it has been played over the radio 3 billion times

Beautiful Day is the far superior song
it has tons of energy
all the instruments work better in that setting
and even the lyrics are just that little bit better

yes it is a strange reason. but i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were driven to that. i wasn't. i just like "always" better

and i think i like the lyrics to "always" better.

IWasBored said:

yes it is a strange reason. but i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were driven to that. i wasn't. i just like "always" better

and i think i like the lyrics to "always" better.

:up: as do I!

"Always" isn't a bad song...the chorus is very reminiscent of the part in "Beautiful Day" that goes, "What you don't have, you don't need it now/What you don't know you can feel it somehow" and so on...every time the chorus in "Always" comes up, I feel like singing the part from "Beautiful Day".

Angela

Back
Top Bottom