What is Bono crying about in OOTS video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
The fact that the person he is addressing in the song... is an original and very unique... yet is destroying themselves somehow instead of embracing their beauty?

Well, the song is about teenagers being ashamed of their bodies, being insecure etc... specifically Edge's daughter Holly - Bono is her godfather. So I guess he got emotional, singing about the daughter of one of his best friends. :)

I think it's great that Bono went and wrote this song. Think one of the hardest things is to be a teenage girl. Really wish I had a song like this to relate to when I was going through my teen years.

thats exactly what i was thinking when i first heared the song...
i think it's B.'s empathy that i find very touching when he sings it.
(i hope i make sense)

That was the part of the video I loved ... although my reaction the Big Head makes me unable to avoid saying this:

He's crying because he's creeped out by the Big Head. :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:
I think it's great that Bono went and wrote this song. Think one of the hardest things is to be a teenage girl. Really wish I had a song like this to relate to when I was going through my teen years.

Although, he wrote part of the song before ATYCLB was even finished (I have an interview on tape that aired before ATYCLB was released and Bono's singing the "everywhere you go you shout it!" part in his car and he tells the interviewer he's working on a song for his little girls). I've always assumed he was writing more about youth than adolescence.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Although, he wrote part of the song before ATYCLB was even finished (I have an interview on tape that aired before ATYCLB was released and Bono's singing the "everywhere you go you shout it!" part in his car and he tells the interviewer he's working on a song for his little girls). I've always assumed he was writing more about youth than adolescence.

I don't know was just responding to what one had said about the teen years. Maybe later he changed the theme to adolescence as the girls grew older? :shrug:. Think this song is one that can be interpreted in many different ways,lol.

Last edited:
The point of that was that they should be making much better music than they are. OOTS is a decent song but it just is not as great as everyone thinks it is. Lyrically, it just does not mean much to me. I know roughly what it is about and I get what it is trying to say, I just don't think it does the best job of saying it.

U2girl said:
Well, the song is about teenagers being ashamed of their bodies, being insecure etc...

Reading the lyrics, I've never gotten the impression it was about teenage girls' self-esteem. :shrug: More like a dad's unconditional love for his firstborn daughter, and not wanting her to be shy about being the "original of the species," and not wanting her to keep her love for him quiet like many teenage girls are prone to do as they grown up and distance themselves from their daddies.

"you feel like no one before...you are the first one of your kind" and the chorus; I see that as being about self-esteem of young girls.

Of course, the father/child element is possibly the strongest theme of the song.

(Bono mentioned both his daughters and Holly as inspiration for this song, as well as insecurity of young girls/teenagers about their bodies. :shrug: I guess all of that caught up with him on the shoot of the video.)

Last edited:
:heart: this is a great song in all senses. I, as a teenager, totally relate to it and I must say that the lyric "everywhere you go you shout it" really helped me in lots of moments although that might sound stupid, but it is such a good message... ahhhhhh I love this band :wink:

This is one of the most gorgous songs I have ever heard, and definately an album favourite.

I like the fact that the lyric is ambiguous. My one criticism of HTDAAB would be that the lyrics can at times be so specific. It can narrow my enjoyment of the song when I am told what the song is about.

Eg I LOVE Sometimes.... but I can never see it in any other light than for his Dad, and yet it could be interpreted as a song between lovers.... you know what I am trying to say?

And the video.... I love the unexpected and U2 have hit it again... Well done... I always knew I had good taste in loving this band! lol

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I love the self righteousness of some fans...:lmao:

Hoodlem is just expressing his opinion about the song. Does every post have to be followed with IMO or IMHO so it's not mistaken as fact??? It's not like he said... "OMFG!!! OOTS sucks and you guys suck for liking it!!! " Somebody even utters anything negative in this forum and everybody starts beating up on them!

And for the record, I love OOTS esp. after hearing it live this past monday!

Zootlesque said:

Hoodlem is just expressing his opinion about the song. Does every post have to be followed with IMO or IMHO so it's not mistaken as fact??? It's not like he said... "OMFG!!! OOTS sucks and you guys suck for liking it!!! " Somebody even utters anything negative in this forum and everybody starts beating up on them!

And for the record, I love OOTS esp. after hearing it live this past monday!

Not surprising you defend him since you yourself are very self-righteous.;)

Hoodlem said:
The point of that was that they should be making much better music than they are. OOTS is a decent song but it just is not as great as everyone thinks it is. Lyrically, it just does not mean much to me. I know roughly what it is about and I get what it is trying to say, I just don't think it does the best job of saying it.

I agree with the latter. Not that they need to make better music--but lyrically, Bono has always struggled in expressing intimate personal emotions--he always leaves the song ambiguous (is he talking about God, Jesus, a lover, a friend?), and sometimes that's perfect, other times, it just makes for a muddled song.

What he seems to be trying to say is an important topic, timely and universal and deserving of clarity in the lyrics.

But then, I have never liked this song. :eyebrow:

Zootlesque said:

Hoodlem is just expressing his opinion about the song.

Um no. Hoodlem expressed "the fact" that everyone else's opinion was wrong. Read it again.

Zootlesque said:

Somebody even utters anything negative in this forum and everybody starts beating up on them!

Once again...no.

I could care less if he likes the song or not. He could have said it's the worse song in the world, I would have had no problem with that, but to tell everyone else their thinking is wrong is self righteous bullshit.

VicksSs said:
:heart: this is a great song in all senses. I, as a teenager, totally relate to it and I must say that the lyric "everywhere you go you shout it" really helped me in lots of moments although that might sound stupid, but it is such a good message... ahhhhhh I love this band :wink:

It doesn't sound stupid at all :hug:

Sleep Over Jack said:

Not surprising you defend him since you yourself are very self-righteous.;)

:rolleyes: whatever! Like your outbursts at Ponkine aren't self-righteous! He/she is also just expressing an opinion, albeit with a ton of smileys. ;)

I apologize if I came off as "self-righteous" in my previous posts. I figured that it was implied that any statements I make are of course my own opinions. I am of the opinion that this song, while decent, is not as great as everyone in this thread is saying. Is that OK that I think that? Is it OK that I post that feeling? I am not better than anyone else because I don't love it as much. There are songs that I enjoy that other people don't. Big deal. Once again, sorry if I appeared to be self-righteous.

Back
Top Bottom