what if u2's next album is a pop one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
i have read alot of reviews on the net and u2's next album will be out in 03 next year and will have pop tunes damit ill post the review.

Workaholics to a man and clearly unable to grasp the concept of time off, U2 already have much of their next album (due out in '03) in the bag - and apparently it's poppier and "more immediate" than All That You Can't Leave Behind

Adam Clayton has revealed that U2 already have a sizable chunk of their next album in the can and awaiting 2003 release.

dam you what the fuck is going on .

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

A: I'll buy it. I'll wish it were something else, and I'll hate it at first. But I'll buy it and then I'll eventually end up loving it.

Now here's my question: How the in the blue fuck can an album be any poppier than ATYCLB?!!
confused.gif

Let's keep in mind that when ATYCLB came out people said it was more hard-rocking and had more of "an edge" to it. (No pun intended.) And even if the pun were intended, it didn't have much of him in it either. Hmph!
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-16-2002).]

it has edge allover but edge has gone pop also.bd(edge)kite(edge)elevation(edge)walkon(edge)wild honey and new yourk the whole fucking album but its frickin pop, and if they make another one like this god only knows what ill do.oh and wont they be repeating them selves.
the only thing i loved about allthatyoucantlevebehind was that i knew that u2 will not repete them selves and so they wont make a album with pop tunes but this is fucking nuts.

------------------

THE RAMONES

here is the rest of the review.

Everything we had left over (from All That You Can't Leave Behind) was finished, which was unusual for us," he tells Rolling Stone magazine. "There are maybe another ten pieces that are more immediate, slightly poppier tunes that I know will turn up because they're good."

As for current work practices: "Nowadays, Edge tends to do his homework and discipline some chord sequences. Then, as a group, we find an interpretation, a unique way they fit together. Or a sound will get thrown out from a jam, and we figure out a melody to go with it."

lets just hope that adam is just fucking with the media.
oh i will buy the album even if its in spanish but i dont want to do the same thing ive been doing for 5 years that is going bach to Achtung baby oh ya.

------------------

THE RAMONES

on a side not i think the age factor is kicking in but then look at ozzy osbourne.

------------------

THE RAMONES

fuck, I keep hearing all kinds of shit, Adam says it's "poppier," Edge says not a fucking thing, Bono says it will be "rock hard," which maybe good for the girls in PLEBA but what about The Gangs of New York Soundtrack and these extra tracks for The Best Of... ?

I think radiohead's next album will be out before U2's, and they haven't even begun writing it yet

ya does any one know what song will be on the gangs of new york.
perl jam is making an album.
oasis album will be out.

------------------

THE RAMONES

oh i forgot that u2 always takes up a new direction.and this time its pop.looks like ill have to make my own rock band.
you know what i think, u2 need a little kick in the arss some one to tell them look guys you are a fricking rock band so start acting like one.

------------------

THE RAMONES

u2 will also cover a ramones song for the ramones tribute album which will be out soon(why is u2 so hush hush about this.)let me end my speach by saying thank god for achtung baby(and all the early stuff)god bless you all.

------------------

THE RAMONES

[This message has been edited by shaun vox (edited 04-16-2002).]

Um, excuse me, but where exactly does it say "the next album will be a pop album" in any of these interviews? Don't get so worked up over a casual word or two thrown into a conversation. Just because Adam says the tunes are poppier doesn't mean it's going to be a flat out pop album, and it certainly doesn't mean you now have the grounds to bitch left and right about what a shame that is. The - album - is - not - finished - yet.

you guys are a fricking rock band so start acting like one.
Give me a "fricking" break. Give U2 a fricking break. I think they know what they're doing a helluva lot better than you do. As far as acting like a rock band - I'd say this past tour showed everyone what a rock band should be like. Now you're going to let a few rumors of poppier material (oh the horror!) scare you into this knee-jerk reaction?
rolleyes.gif

And I'll remind you again. The album isn't out yet. No one on the outside knows what any of these finished songs sound like. Don't condemn the album before it's even an album.

This kind of reminds me of how the media took hold of the rumor that Pop was going to be a dance record and proceeded to blast U2 for it just on the basis of the soundclip of Discotheque. At least they heard a soundclip. Fact is, you haven't heard one tiny little snippet and you're already whining.

I'll reserve my judgement until I hear the damn thing, thank you very much.

------------------
Experience is something that comes just after you need it.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 04-17-2002).]

If it's U2 I'll ike it. I have no issues with the term pop. Pop and U2 in the same sentence usually means damned good music. Yeah, I mean that.

eek.gif
I thought you meant it would have songs from Pop redone LOL!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

OMG LMFAO Maddie!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

My old wrinkled self will still be buying their albums and going to see them play.

Oh and I thought New York RAWKED in concert!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Bono says it will be "rock hard," which maybe good for the girls in PLEBA

did anyone else find this rather funny?
biggrin.gif

Shaun...
Dude...
Chill...

Or maybe you're right. I think Bono better look out cause I'm writing songs as I type with my feet and my aunt maisie is coming over tomorrow arvo round tea time so we can work on some guitar licks for the next album which is gonna show U2 how bad they really are.

Just you watch your back Bono Vox, Im comin at ya with a big fat pound of U2chomping flesh on a stick.

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

Diemen said pretty much what I was thinking.

I'm ready, I'm ready for the laughing gas, I'm ready, ready for what's next...and ready for the never-ending "new album" rumours and paranoid speculation that will be swirling about this place for the next year or two.
tongue.gif

This can be read in 2 ways.
that the next album will be popier than ATYCLB in the pop music sense, wich is not posible.
or that is more Pop in the sense of the Pop album, which I will love.
Once Bono said....Pop is the first album where U2 sounds like MEN, and I agree.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

it's almost pointless to talk about the sound of the next album. I think it was Flannigan who said that when U2 is in the studio, they tend to make sounds that cover their whole career. Boyish, JT, AB, UF....I'd almost bet that every song that they start from scratch probably sounds exactly the same. Where the song goes depends on their moods.....

It appears Bono is liking Punk Rock at the moment. They did a cover of the Ramones for a show, they are supposed to do another cover for a Ramones album. Even since the release of ATYCLB Bono has mentioned something about Punk Rock, or the spirit of it.

But Bono is always running his mouth, and I trust him the least.

Edge always says the opposite of Bono, but he still says the same thing. Songs are good, still can be improved. Don't know what direction to go in...it'll take time.

The one's I do trust are Larry and Adam. You never hear a word from either, but when you do, it's usually something important.

I do believe there are some "poppier" tracks that were left off of ATYCLB. Will they appear on the next album....YES. Will they still be in the same style...PROBABLY NOT. I'm sure U2 will retune these songs into whatever mood they are in. Even if they're in a Pop music mode, I'm sure it'll be good.

to make a long post short, it's too early. Don't even read what the band says if you're going to take it so seriously.

I'm hoping Adam really said "Poppier" with a capital "P," like the album. Or maybe he meant, "poppier" like more about three of the four members being fathers....I'll come up with anything so I won't have to worry that the next album is going to sound like Creed, Sum 41, or NSync.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Awesome...bring on new U2 material...God, I love the buzz leading up to everything U2 has and ever will release.

Chris

Chris, you must be an absolute blast to be around! Everything you write is so optimistic, energetic and full of hope. I almost wish I was in CA just to share in your constant effervesence.
biggrin.gif
Thank you for making your posts a continuous bright spot on Interference.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Chris, you must be an absolute blast to be around! Everything you write is so optimistic, energetic and full of hope. I almost wish I was in CA just to share in your constant effervesence.
biggrin.gif
Thank you for making your posts a continuous bright spot on Interference.

I'm a blast to be around.

don't be cheating on me you bitch!

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
did anyone else find this rather funny?
biggrin.gif

YES!!! I did.

We'll see what happens. Pop shmop, as long as it's good, i'll take it.

"...u2's next album..."
smile.gif
music to my ears.
"what if"...I love the U2 what if's.
"...a pop one" it's a mid-life crisis thing
biggrin.gif

"..one" a world wide crisis.

I sensed your apprehension in the topic heading shaun. It will be OK. Trust them.
OK?..it will be more than OK. It will be U2's next album. Occassionally I feared there would not be such a thing.

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
Well put! A few side notes, though. What the hell is so terrible about ATYCLB? It IS NOT a pop record. It is a ROCK record. LISTEN to the tunes.
I agree
so I guess you're in the minority about this one in here

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by cass:
"...u2's next album..."
smile.gif
music to my ears.
"what if"...I love the U2 what if's.
"...a pop one" it's a mid-life crisis thing
biggrin.gif

"..one" a world wide crisis.

I sensed your apprehension in the topic heading shaun. It will be OK. Trust them.
OK?..it will be more than OK. It will be U2's next album. Occassionally I feared there would not be such a thing.

Exactly! I'm not concerned at all about what the next album will be. It'll be U2 and it'll be great. If I don't immediately love it, I'll just listen to it over and over until I do. You know, I think I almost like the ones that I didn't IMMEDIATELY love better. Maybe it's the whole "acquired taste" thing. I don't know...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom