what if u2's next album is a pop one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes im concerned what the next u2 album will sound like why because i care thats why.oh let me tell ya all i fucking love kite now thats a fucking rock song something i can blast in my car.but over all atuclb is a very mello album.or its just me being 21 and looking for u2 to pump it up.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

im very serious when i say that if u2 comes out with any more slow, soft and easy to handle music, im going to jump off their ship. their last album was "nice" but come on. its like theyre not trying any more.

ofcourse this is all speculation, but for me personally, it has to be more challenging. anything remotely like atyclb will be collecting dust at my house.

lets face it u2 will have a very hard time making an album thats better than AB.
listen to stuck in a moment and then listen to sunday bloody sunday two different songs.if you are a person who likes rock music and hard rock and punk rock you will like SBS but stuck in a moment i dont know.
its wery hard to discribe what im feeling.
if u2's next album has even one pop tune im comming after all of you
smile.gif

------------------

THE RAMONES

god bless you Zoomerang96.
so now we have two rockers me and Zoomerang96.
ya i also have a very hard time listening to ATYCLB.

------------------

THE RAMONES

Originally posted by wertsie:
Yes, you're right. In this case, POP is popULAR, whereas shit like Britney Spears is Bubblegum Pop. BIG, BIG difference!

of course. when you use the term pop people get scared or confused. they will think instantly you mean bubble gum manufactured crap. when in reality pop music can span all kinds of genre's. beatles wrote pop music, but it was good music, and it went on to become some of the greatest music ever written. U2 write pop music that is easily accessable, but it's also thought provoking and from their heart. it has more merit than something like "oh baby i love you hit me one more time bye bye bye back street is back okay".

you get what i mean.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

no one talking about britney or any other pop band.im saying stop with the madness.

------------------

THE RAMONES

Originally posted by shaun vox:
no one talking about britney or any other pop band.im saying stop with the madness.

I know, you want U2 to rock as if they're in their 20's again, but they can't. You realize by the time the new album will be out, Bono will be pushing 43?

Can you name an artist that is almost at their mid 40's and goes onstage and rocks out and doesn't look like a fool?

It's pretty natural for people to slow down as they get older, the music is obviously going to reflective of whatever the writers mindset is, and juding by the recent happenings in the 41 year old Bono's life, his mindset is very political. He's in charge of the lyrics, and odds are there mind be political content, as well as personal loss on the album. Let's look at Edge, the guitar player, do you think he will supply hard rocking music as the back drop to Bono's lyrics? I bet the album is chock full of acoustic songs, just to make you all angry
tongue.gif

I don't know, but seriously, I doubt U2 want to pretend they're back in their 20's and ready to rock our socks off. They're humble now, it's only natural that the music will be humbled too.

I don't want my favorite band to look like fools going through a mid life crisis.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
I know, you want U2 to rock as if they're in their 20's again, but they can't. You realize by the time the new album will be out, Bono will be pushing 43?

Can you name an artist that is almost at their mid 40's and goes onstage and rocks out and doesn't look like a fool?

It's pretty natural for people to slow down as they get older, the music is obviously going to reflective of whatever the writers mindset is, and juding by the recent happenings in the 41 year old Bono's life, his mindset is very political. He's in charge of the lyrics, and odds are there mind be political content, as well as personal loss on the album. Let's look at Edge, the guitar player, do you think he will supply hard rocking music as the back drop to Bono's lyrics? I bet the album is chock full of acoustic songs, just to make you all angry
tongue.gif

I don't know, but seriously, I doubt U2 want to pretend they're back in their 20's and ready to rock our socks off. They're humble now, it's only natural that the music will be humbled too.

I don't want my favorite band to look like fools going through a mid life crisis.

well that sucks.

------------------

THE RAMONES

well that sucks.

but I can see where you are coming from. back in 93 when U2 were at the height of their achtung baby phase, i really wished they would go back to their serious rock "joshua tree" phase.

but looking back on it, it was kind of silly to want that out of a band that wanted to progress.

but who knows, maybe U2 can make some more hard rock tunes, without compromising their integrity and looking like shells of what they used to be.

------------------

Originally posted by Diemen:
Um, excuse me, but where exactly does it say "the next album will be a pop album" in any of these interviews? Don't get so worked up over a casual word or two thrown into a conversation. Just because Adam says the tunes are poppier doesn't mean it's going to be a flat out pop album, and it certainly doesn't mean you now have the grounds to bitch left and right about what a shame that is. The - album - is - not - finished - yet.

Give me a "fricking" break. Give U2 a fricking break. I think they know what they're doing a helluva lot better than you do. As far as acting like a rock band - I'd say this past tour showed everyone what a rock band should be like. Now you're going to let a few rumors of poppier material (oh the horror!) scare you into this knee-jerk reaction?
rolleyes.gif

And I'll remind you again. The album isn't out yet. No one on the outside knows what any of these finished songs sound like. Don't condemn the album before it's even an album.

This kind of reminds me of how the media took hold of the rumor that Pop was going to be a dance record and proceeded to blast U2 for it just on the basis of the soundclip of Discotheque. At least they heard a soundclip. Fact is, you haven't heard one tiny little snippet and you're already whining.

I'll reserve my judgement until I hear the damn thing, thank you very much.

Well put! A few side notes, though. What the hell is so terrible about ATYCLB? It IS NOT a pop record. It is a ROCK record. LISTEN to the tunes. It's not grinding guitars and metal riffs. It's more of a throwback to classic rock stylings. And there are HEAVY tunes on that record. Listen to "New York." That wall of sound coming from Edge in the chorus is unmatched, IMO. The Edge IS all over ATYCLB. He's not playing flying solos like he did in "The Fly" or "UTEOTW," but dammit, the man is a great guitarist. My father has played guitar for 40 years, and is the best damn guitar player I've heard, and even HE conceded that there is no way he could learn how to play like Edge. The timing, the delay, all the effects...it's trademarked, and it's on ATYCLB. What a great fucking album.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-17-2002).]

Originally posted by rafmed:
This can be read in 2 ways.
that the next album will be popier than ATYCLB in the pop music sense, wich is not posible.
or that is more Pop in the sense of the Pop album, which I will love.
Once Bono said....Pop is the first album where U2 sounds like MEN, and I agree.

WORD! I totally agree with everything you said.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Every album U2 puts out is a pop album. You can appreciate the older material all you want, like Achtung Baby, but that album is chock full of pop singles.

U2 have always made pop music, and they have made damn good pop music.

------------------

Originally posted by david:
Every album U2 puts out is a pop album. You can appreciate the older material all you want, like Achtung Baby, but that album is chock full of pop singles.

U2 have always made pop music, and they have made damn good pop music.

Yes, you're right. In this case, POP is popULAR, whereas shit like Britney Spears is Bubblegum Pop. BIG, BIG difference!

------------------

listen to stuck in a moment and then listen to sunday bloody sunday two different songs.if you are a person who likes rock music and hard rock and punk rock you will like SBS but stuck in a moment i dont know.

Well, I remember how Bono once described SBS as a -pop- song in some interview,
smile.gif

For me, the beauty of U2 is that they're always changing, which is why I'm not scared at all about what the next album's going to be. Have faith. It'll be fine!

------------------

oh i will buy the album even if its in spanish but i dont want to do the same thing ive been doing for 5 years that is going bach to Achtung baby oh ya.
and that's why you want U2 to return to Achtung Baby?

personally I never put on a U2 album when I want to hear something that rocks

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I guess most of us will stop caring when they become boring or just plain bad
but why would we expect that to happen?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
I guess most of us will stop caring when they become boring or just plain bad
but why would we expect that to happen?

I don't think that would EVER happen, because then they'd be like a "crap" band, and Bono said he would quit if they turned into that. Yep.

------------------

god bless you Zoomerang96.
so now we have two rockers me and Zoomerang96.
ya i also have a very hard time listening to ATYCLB.

Count me in as a 3rd, but I sure as hell wont 'jump off the ship', thats fucking weak.

P.S. They are all over 40 years old, I think that does make a difference because their interests are different, when they play the older stuff live, they rock just as hard as they used to, but as for new stuff, they need to put some sack on the record.

QUOTE]and that's why you want U2 to return to Achtung Baby?

personally I never put on a U2 album when I want to hear something that rocks

[/B][/QUOTE]

thats for me is only partly true. atyclb has maybe 2 songs that rock. maybe. maybe just one. and even that version is flat out flat compared to the tomb raider remix.

achtung baby rocks. hold me thrill me rocks. lots of their stuff rocks for me, and really i dont care if they rock or not. its just their softer stuff really is not standing the test of time for me. really, i listen to it out of guilt cause its u2. i have to like u2!

but really, if they want to be slow and soft i dont mind. but if its BORING, i will tune out.

------------------
-deathbear

Back
Top Bottom