what if u2's next album is a pop one. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2002, 11:39 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:
Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed:
Once Bono said....
Bono has said just about anything once

Salome for once what came out of your mouth was funny.. LMAO

Old 04-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:31 PM
it's almost pointless to talk about the sound of the next album. I think it was Flannigan who said that when U2 is in the studio, they tend to make sounds that cover their whole career. Boyish, JT, AB, UF....I'd almost bet that every song that they start from scratch probably sounds exactly the same. Where the song goes depends on their moods.....

It appears Bono is liking Punk Rock at the moment. They did a cover of the Ramones for a show, they are supposed to do another cover for a Ramones album. Even since the release of ATYCLB Bono has mentioned something about Punk Rock, or the spirit of it.

But Bono is always running his mouth, and I trust him the least.

Edge always says the opposite of Bono, but he still says the same thing. Songs are good, still can be improved. Don't know what direction to go in...it'll take time.

The one's I do trust are Larry and Adam. You never hear a word from either, but when you do, it's usually something important.

I do believe there are some "poppier" tracks that were left off of ATYCLB. Will they appear on the next album....YES. Will they still be in the same style...PROBABLY NOT. I'm sure U2 will retune these songs into whatever mood they are in. Even if they're in a Pop music mode, I'm sure it'll be good.

to make a long post short, it's too early. Don't even read what the band says if you're going to take it so seriously.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:03 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I'm hoping Adam really said "Poppier" with a capital "P," like the album. Or maybe he meant, "poppier" like more about three of the four members being fathers....I'll come up with anything so I won't have to worry that the next album is going to sound like Creed, Sum 41, or NSync.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ Iím not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobodyís around"--Starsailor
Old 04-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Awesome...bring on new U2 material...God, I love the buzz leading up to everything U2 has and ever will release.

Chris
Chris, you must be an absolute blast to be around! Everything you write is so optimistic, energetic and full of hope. I almost wish I was in CA just to share in your constant effervesence. Thank you for making your posts a continuous bright spot on Interference.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:09 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Chris, you must be an absolute blast to be around! Everything you write is so optimistic, energetic and full of hope. I almost wish I was in CA just to share in your constant effervesence. Thank you for making your posts a continuous bright spot on Interference.
I'm a blast to be around.

don't be cheating on me you bitch!

Old 04-17-2002, 01:14 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda:
did anyone else find this rather funny?

YES!!! I did.

We'll see what happens. Pop shmop, as long as it's good, i'll take it.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL:
I'm a blast to be around.

don't be cheating on me you bitch!

Awww...poor BEAL... all frustrated are we? Here's some lotion and kleenx.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:42 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:31 PM
"...u2's next album..." music to my ears.
"what if"...I love the U2 what if's.
"...a pop one" it's a mid-life crisis thing
"..one" a world wide crisis.

I sensed your apprehension in the topic heading shaun. It will be OK. Trust them.
OK?..it will be more than OK. It will be U2's next album. Occassionally I feared there would not be such a thing.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:51 PM   #29
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
Well put! A few side notes, though. What the hell is so terrible about ATYCLB? It IS NOT a pop record. It is a ROCK record. LISTEN to the tunes.
I agree
so I guess you're in the minority about this one in here

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 04-17-2002, 04:33 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cass:
"...u2's next album..." music to my ears.
"what if"...I love the U2 what if's.
"...a pop one" it's a mid-life crisis thing
"..one" a world wide crisis.

I sensed your apprehension in the topic heading shaun. It will be OK. Trust them.
OK?..it will be more than OK. It will be U2's next album. Occassionally I feared there would not be such a thing.
Exactly! I'm not concerned at all about what the next album will be. It'll be U2 and it'll be great. If I don't immediately love it, I'll just listen to it over and over until I do. You know, I think I almost like the ones that I didn't IMMEDIATELY love better. Maybe it's the whole "acquired taste" thing. I don't know...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-18-2002, 12:45 AM   #31
New Yorker

Yes im concerned what the next u2 album will sound like why because i care thats why.oh let me tell ya all i fucking love kite now thats a fucking rock song something i can blast in my car.but over all atuclb is a very mello album.or its just me being 21 and looking for u2 to pump it up.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:49 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:31 AM
im very serious when i say that if u2 comes out with any more slow, soft and easy to handle music, im going to jump off their ship. their last album was "nice" but come on. its like theyre not trying any more.

ofcourse this is all speculation, but for me personally, it has to be more challenging. anything remotely like atyclb will be collecting dust at my house.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:55 AM   #33
New Yorker

lets face it u2 will have a very hard time making an album thats better than AB.
listen to stuck in a moment and then listen to sunday bloody sunday two different songs.if you are a person who likes rock music and hard rock and punk rock you will like SBS but stuck in a moment i dont know.
its wery hard to discribe what im feeling.
if u2's next album has even one pop tune im comming after all of you

------------------

THE RAMONES
Old 04-18-2002, 12:58 AM   #34
New Yorker

god bless you Zoomerang96.
so now we have two rockers me and Zoomerang96.
ya i also have a very hard time listening to ATYCLB.

------------------

THE RAMONES
Old 04-18-2002, 01:04 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:
Yes, you're right. In this case, POP is popULAR, whereas shit like Britney Spears is Bubblegum Pop. BIG, BIG difference!

of course. when you use the term pop people get scared or confused. they will think instantly you mean bubble gum manufactured crap. when in reality pop music can span all kinds of genre's. beatles wrote pop music, but it was good music, and it went on to become some of the greatest music ever written. U2 write pop music that is easily accessable, but it's also thought provoking and from their heart. it has more merit than something like "oh baby i love you hit me one more time bye bye bye back street is back okay".

you get what i mean.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:11 AM   #36
New Yorker

no one talking about britney or any other pop band.im saying stop with the madness.

------------------

THE RAMONES
Old 04-18-2002, 01:18 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox:
no one talking about britney or any other pop band.im saying stop with the madness.
I know, you want U2 to rock as if they're in their 20's again, but they can't. You realize by the time the new album will be out, Bono will be pushing 43?

Can you name an artist that is almost at their mid 40's and goes onstage and rocks out and doesn't look like a fool?

It's pretty natural for people to slow down as they get older, the music is obviously going to reflective of whatever the writers mindset is, and juding by the recent happenings in the 41 year old Bono's life, his mindset is very political. He's in charge of the lyrics, and odds are there mind be political content, as well as personal loss on the album. Let's look at Edge, the guitar player, do you think he will supply hard rocking music as the back drop to Bono's lyrics? I bet the album is chock full of acoustic songs, just to make you all angry

I don't know, but seriously, I doubt U2 want to pretend they're back in their 20's and ready to rock our socks off. They're humble now, it's only natural that the music will be humbled too.

I don't want my favorite band to look like fools going through a mid life crisis.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:27 AM   #38
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by david:
I know, you want U2 to rock as if they're in their 20's again, but they can't. You realize by the time the new album will be out, Bono will be pushing 43?

Can you name an artist that is almost at their mid 40's and goes onstage and rocks out and doesn't look like a fool?

It's pretty natural for people to slow down as they get older, the music is obviously going to reflective of whatever the writers mindset is, and juding by the recent happenings in the 41 year old Bono's life, his mindset is very political. He's in charge of the lyrics, and odds are there mind be political content, as well as personal loss on the album. Let's look at Edge, the guitar player, do you think he will supply hard rocking music as the back drop to Bono's lyrics? I bet the album is chock full of acoustic songs, just to make you all angry

I don't know, but seriously, I doubt U2 want to pretend they're back in their 20's and ready to rock our socks off. They're humble now, it's only natural that the music will be humbled too.

I don't want my favorite band to look like fools going through a mid life crisis.

well that sucks.

------------------

THE RAMONES
Old 04-18-2002, 01:43 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox:

well that sucks.
but I can see where you are coming from. back in 93 when U2 were at the height of their achtung baby phase, i really wished they would go back to their serious rock "joshua tree" phase.

but looking back on it, it was kind of silly to want that out of a band that wanted to progress.

but who knows, maybe U2 can make some more hard rock tunes, without compromising their integrity and looking like shells of what they used to be.

------------------
Old 04-18-2002, 02:01 AM   #40
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen:
Um, excuse me, but where exactly does it say "the next album will be a pop album" in any of these interviews? Don't get so worked up over a casual word or two thrown into a conversation. Just because Adam says the tunes are poppier doesn't mean it's going to be a flat out pop album, and it certainly doesn't mean you now have the grounds to bitch left and right about what a shame that is. The - album - is - not - finished - yet.

Give me a "fricking" break. Give U2 a fricking break. I think they know what they're doing a helluva lot better than you do. As far as acting like a rock band - I'd say this past tour showed everyone what a rock band should be like. Now you're going to let a few rumors of poppier material (oh the horror!) scare you into this knee-jerk reaction?

And I'll remind you again. The album isn't out yet. No one on the outside knows what any of these finished songs sound like. Don't condemn the album before it's even an album.

This kind of reminds me of how the media took hold of the rumor that Pop was going to be a dance record and proceeded to blast U2 for it just on the basis of the soundclip of Discotheque. At least they heard a soundclip. Fact is, you haven't heard one tiny little snippet and you're already whining.

I'll reserve my judgement until I hear the damn thing, thank you very much.
Well put! A few side notes, though. What the hell is so terrible about ATYCLB? It IS NOT a pop record. It is a ROCK record. LISTEN to the tunes. It's not grinding guitars and metal riffs. It's more of a throwback to classic rock stylings. And there are HEAVY tunes on that record. Listen to "New York." That wall of sound coming from Edge in the chorus is unmatched, IMO. The Edge IS all over ATYCLB. He's not playing flying solos like he did in "The Fly" or "UTEOTW," but dammit, the man is a great guitarist. My father has played guitar for 40 years, and is the best damn guitar player I've heard, and even HE conceded that there is no way he could learn how to play like Edge. The timing, the delay, all the effects...it's trademarked, and it's on ATYCLB. What a great fucking album.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 04-17-2002).]