what if u2 were a ROCKnROLL band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
rockNroll started from the blues and u2 have 0 blues in their songs mainly guitar. so what if they were a rock band i think it would be great. but i think their the best pop band of our time!

Shaun - I'm not sure what you were expecting for this thread -

But to everyone else, the usual reminder - no personal attacks, please keep it civil :sigh:

i'm not a big fan of Amercian blues and rock and roll, so i'm glad that U2 are not that type of band. I love classic rock from Europe. I've always wondered if U2 was really rock 'n roll band. I know they're a rock band, and always have been, but they've always straddled the rock/pop line. I'm glad they're not rock 'n roll though.

U2 IS a rock band, but rock is such a vague term these days. However, if U2 were anything other than what they are, they simply wouldn't be U2, then what would all of us be doing right now? :eyebrow:

Alot of people say rock and roll mutated out of the raucous R&B of the time - so I guess it depends on what all of us define as rock and roll, and where it came from.

*sighs*

shaun, rock and roll can be many things; it doesn't have to always have elements of the blues in it.

but to remind you, u2 recorded with the king of the blues himself, b.b. king.

and, on the latest album, love and peace or else is like a blues from mars.

it was utter crap

i mean about being a blues record
it's a good cd , but not a briefcase full of blues

Last edited:
Some of it was blues influenced but it was not really blues. Led Zep were geniuses at turning blues into rock.

probably:

guns & roses

velvet revolver

cashmere bazooka

or any other band that has a name with a weapon and something soft.

JOFO said:
probably:

guns & roses

velvet revolver

cashmere bazooka

or any other band that has a name with a weapon and something soft.

:lol:

Best post in the thread.

BTW, shaun, you should check out Spinal Tap. They seem right up your alley. Cool stage shows, too. :D

shaun vox said:
rockNroll started from the blues and u2 have 0 blues in their songs mainly guitar. so what if they were a rock band i think it would be great. but i think their the best pop band of our time!

If U2 were a rock'n'roll band then many would complain that they were living in the '50s. You know, copying Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and such.
Luckily (for us) they are a rock band, so it is great!
And no, they're not a pop band as their music is very different from Blue, Westlife or the Pet Shop Boys.

:)

Marty

No, original poster is right, U2 isn't a rock and roll band.

"We're a really loud folk band."--Edge.

I suppose Edge playing a banjo is more folksy, than rock and roll.

;)

Think Bono and Edge's voices are a bit high for rock and roll.

"Can you hear me when, I, ssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggg!"

rock and roll didnt come from the blues it actually came from old style country music...look at those who inspired Elvis and the Beatles it wasnt blues musicians it was people like Hank Williams so as much as I really dont like country music it was good for something.

Back
Top Bottom