what if u2 were a ROCKnROLL band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theyre an Adult Contempory, Alternative Rock Band with Folk, Techno, Dance and Rock 'n' Roll influences with wide crossover appeal.

Anyone who thinks Guns n' Roses and fuckin' Aerosmith are great bands has no idea what rock and roll is.
These are rock Gods who turned blues to rock:
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin

And U2 is not a pop band. They do have pop songs, but they have rock songs too. I wouldn't put them in either of those categories.

Well in my dictionary:

Rock n' Roll - 50s music. Elvis and Buddy Holly and stuff.
Rock - Catch-all term for most guitar based music post-Beatles.
Pop - Catch-all term for all contemporary (as opposed to classical) that is also linked to 'pop culture'.
Shite - Blue and Westlife, but NOT the Pet Shops.

So in short, I agree (to an extent) with Popmarty.

Oh, and :lmao: at Cashmere Bazooka.

ahhh yes... it's been a while since we've had a genuine "Shaun Vox Says That U2 Aren't A Real Rock Band" thread.

I do like your approach this time... usually it's because they don't have any 10 minute guitar solos, or because Edge can't "shred" like Slash can... but this is a new one... because they don't play tbe blues.

:hmm:

i think ya got me on this one... perhaps they aren't really a rock band. but they're certainly not a pop band, or a boy band, or a folk band, or a country western band... so what exactly are they, then?

:hmm:

perhaps an irish fropy westrolk band. yea... that's the ticket.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ahhh yes... it's been a while since we've had a genuine "Shaun Vox Says That U2 Aren't A Real Rock Band" thread.

That's because shaun knows more about rock n' roll and he is a lot more rock n' roll than all of us. And he is here to teach and show all of us ignorant people the way. We really should be thanking him for spending his time like this on us.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Well in my dictionary:

Pop - Catch-all term for all contemporary (as opposed to classical) that is also linked to 'pop culture'.

Close. 'Pop' (music) is simply an abbreviation of 'Popular' (music)

'The Boys' play Rock & Roll

Edge has plenty of Hendrix like moments... so that proves U2 are ROCK n ROLL

Bono ask's the question during the blazing ending of UTEOTW during Zootv 'is this rock n roll, yeah that's rock n roll'......
Could not possibly be anymore sheer rock that that?

u2 are not rocknroll people.

they are a great band but not rock and roll.

led zeppelin(i fucking love them) are rock.
hendrix is rock.
gnr are rock.
aerosmith are rock.
acdc are rock.
alot of 80s bands are rock.
van halen are rock.

but U2 are not rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edge is not a rock guitar player.

i was waiting for you to add them!

actuall when i said alot of 80s bands. the bands you named fall in that category!

the scorpions are rock.
deep purple are rock!
pink floyd are rock!!!
thin lizzy are rock!

shaun vox said:

1-led zeppelin(i fucking love them) are rock.
2-hendrix is rock.
3-gnr are rock.
4-aerosmith are rock.
5-acdc are rock.
6-alot of 80s bands are rock.
7-van halen are rock.

1-Agreed
2-Agreed, although he was more blues than rock
3-GnR, while admittedly a good rock band, is overrated. They started out strong and then got lost in Axl's ego.
4-Aerosmith is overrated
5-ACDC are a very narrow (and disproportionally vocal) brand of rock - Party Rock.
6-Alot of 80s bands are crap.
7-Van Halen is WAY overrated. More party rock. They can't even keep a decent lead singer around. And a lot of Eddie's solos are absolutely terrible musically. I'd rather have a nice simple guitar solo than technical guitar wanking that doesn't add anything to the music.

So yea, maybe by those standards U2 aren't rock n roll. U2 encompasses far more than most of these bands put together, in terms of thematic material and messages.

shaun vox said:

<snip>

but U2 are not rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edge is not a rock guitar player.

Make up your mind. What do you want to prove: the rock 'n' roll style, the rock style or that you know nothing about music?

As Yertle said, U2 are rock, plain and simple. Not hard rock like Guns 'n Roses, Aerosmith or AC/DC, but they are still rock. It's all one big guitar family. :)

C ya!

Marty

That's funny, I thought Vertigo, All because of you and Love and peace or else were all very rocking for U2. Even Crumbs, up to a point.

:banghead:

U2 IS a rock band.

shaun vox said:
ok ok u2 are rock well they were rock untill they lost their balls in 2000 and got their penis cut off and now they have vaginas

:wink:
no better way to win an argument than to make absolutely no sense at all and throw the word vagina in there :up:

Shaun
you have absolutely no idea about rock
I'm sorry I have to inform you of this
but it is true
and the reason this is true is because Axl Rose's ego is so big that it wouldn't fit in any vagina

ha!
I win

To quote MacPhisto: "RocknRoll is such a broad thing, no one rele knows what it is"

Gotta go w/ the Mac-man here:wink:

Salome said:
no better way to win an argument than to make absolutely no sense at all and throw the word vagina in there :up:

Shaun
you have absolutely no idea about rock
I'm sorry I have to inform you of this
but it is true
and the reason this is true is because Axl Rose's ego is so big that it wouldn't fit in any vagina

ha!
I win

welcome back salome.

shaun vox said:
ok ok u2 are rock well they were rock untill they lost their balls in 2000 and got their penis cut off and now they have vaginas

This is just offensive.

Plus according to your definition then no truly relevant rock bands have existed since the 70's. For all the examples you listed besides Led Zeppelin and Hendrix suck and their relevance has died out. So maybe instead of coming in here and insulting U2 and degrading women you can take your glam-loving, misogynistic, infantile lips permantly sew them to Slash's ass and get out of here.

Do Miss America said:

This is just offensive.

Plus according to your definition then no truly relevant rock bands have existed since the 70's. For all the examples you listed besides Led Zeppelin and Hendrix suck and their relevance has died out. So maybe instead of coming in here and insulting U2 and degrading women you can take your glam-loving, misogynistic, infantile lips permantly sew them to Slash's ass and get out of here.

This might be asking for the thread to get closed, but it's one of the truest things said here so far. :up:

Maybe sv should just get out of here since he's such a rocker and U2 is just a great pop band cause it makes no sense for him to be here. But of course he's probably just seeking attention and we're giving it to him but that doesn't really make him any less ridiculous or sad.

shaun vox said:

Makes sense... punk rock from Venus, y'know...

U2 is POWER POP.

White Snake also is definitely ROCK. They rock more than U2 that's for sure. Hell, their ballads rock more than U2's ballads... LOL

I want to hear U2 write stuff as powerful as "Here I Go Again."

lol, exactly wut I think

and I can't believe he had blonde highlights...damn u mullets!:wink:

Just because some band's music sucks, doesn't mean they're not a rock band. If they stick with that one sound (e.g. Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Van Halen), so what? If it's rock, it's rock. Glam rock, hair band, whatever... it's the style they play in. Scream the vocals (because you don't really have a voice), stick with the four-beat (because it's easier to play really fast! that way) and diddle finger acrobatics on the guitar (because it just sounds SOOO cool!) - if that's rock 'n roll, then no, U2 doesn't qualify.

If blues is your qualifier, well, let's take a look... soulful (hangdog) voice singing about troubles, changing tempo to follow the 'feel' of the song, and 'talking' with the guitar, even if it's just another 'voice' to back up the singer... hmmm...

goat

Back
Top Bottom