what if the new ALBUM is not that good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
what will you do, where will you go, who will you talk to.
lets face it u2 has not made any thing like achtung baby and cant rock out like bullet the blue sky. i know they are getting old but..
is it over?
this album has to be special(for me and i know for some of you)

i like pop but you know its a weird album. and u2 could never get any safer and mainstreem than ATYCLB, wild honey, peace on earth, elevation, what the hells going on. but if this album is just another filler what will you do ?

fave u2 albums.
1.achtung baby.
2.JT.
3.war,october,boy.(they are all good)
4. UF and rattle and hum.
5.pop and zooropa.

im scared of listening to the clips when they come out, what if they are crap or just not good enough?
im glad i have got into other music so if u2 does not work out ill just

:( :( :(

Dude, I think (repeat "I think") you will not be disappointed. I can see with your GnR sig block that you are a fan of "guitar rock", and so am I. I think that the sound you heard on the Ramones tribute song, and for the most part "Electrical Storm", are more of the direction that U2 is taking this time out. I'm ready for Bono to yelp over Edge's screaming guitar. I am.

if you set your expectations way too high than more than likely you will be disappointed

but if it isnt that good, at least Ill have more time to focus on Clay Aiken

what the heck is your problem..of course the ablum will be good.. and you have the abums in the wron order anyway..!!

Sometimes I worry a little about the upcoming album too. I'm thrilled about all the rumors that it will be more hard-rocking and guitar-oriented, but at the same time I'm trying not to get too excited, just in case the finished product isn't quite what I had in mind.

I think U2 are entirely capable of turning out the "monster" or "dragon" of an album they are promising. I don't think there is such as thing as being "too old" to rock out. Age is only a number. Look at Bruce Springsteen - he's about a decade older than the guys in U2 and he still rocks.

Chizip said:
if you set your expectations way too high than more than likely you will be disappointed

but if it isnt that good, at least Ill have more time to focus on Clay Aiken
clay aiken?!?!
are you serious?

I think if the next album is not great I will let the boys slide with my criticism, but if the album after also sucks, I would have to say the boys should hang it up.
But I'm optimistic that it won't come to that and that the new album will rawk!

It's possible that it could suck so I'm setting my expectations low so if it is sucky or mediocre, then I won't be too disappointed.

I liked Elevation when it first came out but now it sounds a little mediocre to me. The rockin' version was better and I can still listen to it. I hope U2 doesn't use Elevation or Electrical Storm as a model for a rockin' album...

I was disappointed in Pop and I was disappointed vastly in ATYCLB, but I think mostly because my expectations were ridiculous. I have become numb to expecting too much.

I am expecting ATYCLB part 2, to a certain extent. Sure, it is bound to be somewhat different but they are definitely a different band than they were 5 years ago. If it indeed is ATYCLB part 2, I will not be totally shocked, but I hope for more.

If they offer up another polished pop rock album, I won't be disappointed because I am expecting that. I won't fall in love with it, but you know, 10 albums, 20+ years, they can't please all of their fans all of the time, they have too many of them.

Now with my expectations in check, I fully hope to be blown away but after the last 2 albums I am numb to being disappointed. I do like parts of POP and ATYCLB, some of it I like quite a bit actually.

I guess I am hoping for an album with 8 or 9 really songs that I love instead of an album with 5. But I am expecting another 5.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it won't suck. It has to be better than most of what is out there. So shock me you Irish fuckers!!!!!

It's their fault, they are the ones who set the bar so fucking high. I think everything will be just fine, if you just don't put too much weight in your expectation. Remember Pop and ATYCLB were supposed to be guitar records.

Flying FuManchu said:
I think Pop was a "guitar" record... Sometimes its hard to notice with all the production and dance beats/ synthesizers.

ATYCLB was not really a guitar record IMO. A little plain for the Edge but I guess he wanted it that way.

Agree :yes:

if its not that good, wait for another four years.
don't listen to bono, who is the best salesman of the world. don't listen to anyone, not even eno, who is not producing this time. any of you really think 'stuck in a moment' is the best u2 song ever?

Johnny_Mo said:
...don't listen to anyone, not even Eno...any of you really think 'stuck in a moment' is the best u2 song ever?
Actually, Brian Eno said (actually bet Bono) that it would be U2's "biggest hit" ever, not "best" song ever...which is quite a difference, and thus requires a distinction to be made. No one ever said 'Stuck' was U2's best. Even a song like 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' by Britney Spears was a monster hit...but best? No, definitely not (although that's a bad example, as it's probaby Britney's only good song - as Travis proved with their cover of it).

As far as how good a song 'Stuck' is, which as seen is a totally different issue, I would still say it's very well written. On a purely songwriting level, it's one of U2's best in recent years...a song the Beatles might have liked to have written.

Last edited:
yes i love stuck in a moment(not the album version) but live it rocks(i know) you can hear edges guitar live and it all sounds great. listen to bbc1 version(when they played there) its very good i tell ya.its a pop song but when done live by u2 it turns to rock!

yes u2 have spoiled us with albums like AB and JT.
I dont think this album will be atyclb 2(i know some have said it, i think edge did) but they never make an album that sounds anything like their last one.

Michael Griffiths said:
Mad electric yellow with a slice of buzz saw in a zero gravity martini. If that's your kind of drink, I'm sure you'll love this album. :wink:

What if you're kind of person who doesnt drink? :wink:

I don't believe you people. Fearing that a U2 album will suck. Really, they haven't made a bad album yet. The album may rock harder than ATYCLB, but it'll still sound like the same band. Which is a good thing. Love it or no, ATYCLB is a good album....but if you can find a way in which you can really relate with it, it can be a GREAT album. Same with Pop, Zooropa, etc. It's not just about how the album sounds, it's also about how you hear it and what it means to you. You are all U2 fans....that's why you're on this board. None of us know what the album will sound like....other than the fact that it'll have Bono's voice, Edge's guitar, Larry's drums and Adams bass lines. In the end....isn't that enough?

Back
Top Bottom