What if one of the band came out and said they were gay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin24 said:

How is one and OOTs gay?

in the December 2005 Rolling Stone issue, Bono stated it was intended as a sort-of story about a son coming out to his father and possibly telling him he has HIV. of course, the meaning has expanded because it's such an elastic song, but there's great evidence to support that reading. it was also a big charity single, and it had an emphasis on "one but not the same / one need in the night" -- gay/straight unity, which was what was needed to battle a plague like AIDS. and the video of the buffalo was inspired by a gay artist, who's name escapes me.

as for OOTS -- the "teenage girl with body issues" makes more sense, i suppose, but i think it's at heart a be-yourself anthem, finding the courage to be yourself because you are special, an original. that's something that every gay person in the throes of coming out needs to hear.

Irvine511 said:

as for OOTS -- the "teenage girl with body issues" makes more sense, i suppose, but i think it's at heart a be-yourself anthem, finding the courage to be yourself because you are special, an original. that's something that every gay person in the throes of coming out needs to hear.

But can't that apply to anyone and not someone who is gay? I mean a heavy set person like me, would not feel comfortable about their weight?

So then is most of their songs "gay" inspired?? nothing against it but just wondering. My friend who watched the Slane concert was like I can't believe Bono and The Edge almost kissed, what a bunch of faggots.

I said no, there more like brothers, they have been through everything together. It's not sexuality it's about love for one another. He didn't want to hear it he still thinks U2 is Gay and thinks I am gay cause I like U2, well pretty much all my friends think I am gay for liking U2.

Justin24 said:
So then is most of their songs "gay" inspired?? nothing against it but just wondering.

As has been stated, they rarely masculinize their songs, keep them as "you" as opposed to mentioning women specifically, which keeps the songs more open and universal.

phillyfan26 said:

As has been stated, they rarely masculinize their songs, keep them as "you" as opposed to mentioning women specifically, which keeps the songs more open and universal.

I agree. I mean if you look at other genre of music such as hip-hop, it's way more masculine. I don't see why music should be more masculen if it was open and universal as you said philly, it would make songs more interesting. Although lots of the masculin songs work too.

martha said:

Justin, you need new friends.

eh I can handle what they say. We have been friends since Jr. High. They only make themselves look dumb. Plus they listen to Fall Out Boy, Panic of the Disco and think Daddy Yankee rules. :|

Justin24 said:

eh I can handle what they say. We have been friends since Jr. High. They only make themselves look dumb. Plus they listen to Fall Out Boy, Panic of the Disco and think Daddy Yankee rules. :|

then they are gay. :wink:

One of which I speak of did not know who Lynyrd Skynyrd was until I was playing "Free Bird" :ohmy: and he said wow I didn't know about this great song. I said thats because you listen to new crap like My Chemical Romance.

Good man. Justin, it is your job ... nay, your duty! ... to introduce your friends to better music.

:wink:

Justin24 said:
One of which I speak of did not know who Lynyrd Skynyrd was until I was playing "Free Bird" :ohmy: and he said wow I didn't know about this great song. I said thats because you listen to new crap like My Chemical Romance.

That's more of a step sideways, but okay.

fabulous.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:|

Of course this type of thread would bring Shaun out of hiding...

Why even ask? The only people that would answer yes are bigots, so really you're just setting up a thread that points them out.

I have to give this thread a :down:

Oh please. You would love it if U2 were gay.

"What if one of the band came out and said they were gay?"

I would just think to myself "oh."

Their sexual preferences have never interested me.

It was the music.

I think this thread has gone on long enough.

It's clearly strayed off topic of the original question anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom