What happened to the big drop out in the middle of Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I'm missing something here but in the original Spanish bootleg Vertigo had a big dramatic pause in the middle of it and then kicked straight back in. Also, in the recent Interference interview Bono even talked about it - saying it was like plugging out an old record player in the middle of a song. Where is it in the Vertigo single we are now all getting so aquainted with??

Quite possibly. Actually I'm kind of disappointed as I really liked that and it was something U2 have pretty much never done before.

Also, at 3:11 it's not as if the single version is too long for radio!

I'd be willing to bet this is a radio edit. Based simply on the fact of the 'power outage' being missing along with the fact that it seemed like Edge was ripping into a solo on the Niza Leak.

Didn't some insider say that the album version is about three and a half minutes long?

This is 3:11...so I guess I just can't wait.

Also, I think half the first verse could have been cut. The second is twice as long as the first (8 lines as opposed to 4), which is very unusual. Remember, they did exactly this with "Stuck In A Moment".

With the extra half first verse plus an extra bit in the middle it would fill out to probably 3:40 or so, which is more like the length for a U2 song.

There definetly seems to be a cut on the first verse. The transition to the chorus seems a bit abrupt.

I'm willing to bet we'll have a longer version on the album (or maybe even on the single, when that's released). Guess that's one more thing to look forward to.

:scratch: I think that part is kinda still in there...the "no one gets hurt" part... it's just not as prominent... it's more subtle.

I did like the other version of it though... how it sounded like the music was coming to a screeching halt and then kicked back in, but ah well... that's U2 for ya! :wink:

its too bad because that drop out point was my favorite part of the clip we had heard. I'm a bit dissapointed that its not completely in there. I almost wish I'd never heard the Spanish clip.

Ok, I'll bite. Where can I find this "Other Version"? I'm sure it was hear long ago, but I haven't been around in a while...

^ I felt the same way when I first heard the ES demo.... I really liked the Edge's guitar riff in one part, and it didn't make the cut of the final album version... but now I like the album version just the same, so... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom