What got you into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reptile347

The Fly
What got you hooked on U2? Was it a song or an album? How did you discover U2?

For me. I saw the movie Blown Away when I was 15 and I heard ISHFWILF and liked it right away. I actually tried to find out where that came from for a while before I relized the lady sells the tape to the villan and says its U2.

So thats how I first discovered U2 from that 1 song which still remains my fav song and Joshua Tree my fav album.

The single Electrical Storm got me into U2 actually. Then I got Best of 1990 - 2000, then Joshua Tree, then Achtung Baby, and have been buying albums from there. Can't remember how many times I played In God's Country.

I saw the "Discotheque" music video on MTV. My first thought was "WTF?" and then I waited to see who the artist was at the end of the video... "U2".... HUH? Aren't these the same guys who made that "Where the Streets Have No Name" song they play the radio?

Needless to say, I had to investigate. And the rest is history. LOL.

Last edited:
I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't know who U2 were. My mother was a casual fan of them when I was young...I even have a pic of me as a baby wearing headphones with early U2 on...

It wasn't until high school when I crossed the line into 'Rabid Fandom' though....:wink:

I heard some of their songs on the radio in the early/mid 80's. New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday were the ones I remember. So I bought a few albums (yup, vinyl).

....I don't listen to the radio anymore.

I would have to say 'Beautiful Day' (I had narrow musical tastes until U2 came along). I fell in love with that song (and still love it) when I bought the ATYCLB album. I also happened to buy the 'Best of 1980-1990 & B-Sides' that was shelved along-side the new album and I found that I loved the old stuff (and vaguely remembered hearing it before). My fandom was given a boost by the 'Electrical Storm' single and the 'Best of 1990-2000 & B-Sides' and then I got sucked in completely. Within a year or so, I owned all U2 albums and a few of the singles...

sweetest thing video. i then did a school project (biography) on "that lead singer guy wearing the hat" and once i learned more about his life, i fell in love. (i'm not gay though)

unosdostres14 said:
My older brother was a HUGE fan...so I grew up listening to U2 as a baby.

Hey, me too!
I rememeber going on vacations with my family and I was 8, 9, 10, years old, and my older brother would make me listen to U2 on his headphones, and then he would ask me if I liked the song, and if I said no he would hit me until I said I liked it. Good old days!

It was November 1993, I was fourteen and a friend said, "Hey, I think you'd like these guys." My dad had Joshua Tree and I was vaguely aware of them but it wasn't until my friend introduced me to Achtung, Baby! that I fell in love with U2.

Good to see some new fans here.

First song I heard or remember hearing was Where The Streets Have No Name in my friends basement a few months before Achtung Baby came out and ever since I heard that song I have been a fan ever since. Not a "rabid fan" until about 95 though...when i started collecting singles anyways.

I grew up on the band. Born in the year of The Joshua Tree in the land of One Tree Hill. It was meant to happen.

I become a fan in 1992 when I was about fourteen. My parents gave me some money to get some music I like, and with all the news of ZOOtv around, I decided to get some U2 :) That being the war album and a couple of cassette single's from Achtung baby. Been hooked ever since. :rockon:

Fall, 1991. I was a freshman in college. My boyfriend said, "I got some tickets to see U2, wanna go?" I said sure. I figured I had better listen up and get familiar with their songs, so I bought Achtung Baby.

The rest, as they say, is history. :)

I was only casually interested in U2 for couple of years or so, before catching U2 video marathon one late night. I think it was the live footage of "God Part II" that did it - I remember that when Bono run and leapt across the stage before launching into "...don't believe in 60s..." I just felt something like a jolt in my stomach.

September 1984. Walking downstairs when i heard this amazing song(Pride). Walked into the lounge where i saw this absolute hunk(Bono:drool:) on the tv. Waited to see who they were. Dad asked what i wanted for my birthday and i said that song. My 14th birthday came and i opened The Unforgettable Fire. Couldn't stop listening until he came home with tapes a girl at work had done for him of War, October & Boy. Like some other bands but U2 will always be my No1.

Ok i know Bono:drool: had the mullet in 1984 but so did most guys!!!

June 1983.....

All it took was to hear "New Year's Day", playing on the radio...

After one listen, and the radio DJ telling me the group name and song title...I immediately went out and bought the "War" LP.

Couldn't believe Bono's voice...it definitely "moved me" in some way, because I couldn't get the song out of my head....

I absolutely..."fell in love"...with that incredible song...it's my "all-time" favorite U2 song...never be another one like it....

I watched the briit awards performance in 2001 of Until the end of the world. And thought, they're a bit good. I went out and bought ATYCLB the very next day. Listened to it for a couple of months along with albums by a few other artists but then got bored.

I was watching an episode of friends, and with or without you came on, I'd heard it before but I didn't know who the artist was but I liked it. So I got a copy of WOWY and realised that they were teh same people who did the brit awards, I started to find some more of their music, looked through the albums and bought Joshua Tree as everyone else as said the rest is history.

I remember though when I was building my album collection hearing songs and thinking I have heard this before and I liked it.

Even New Years Day, which I am not certain I had heard before, it was a song like I felt like I'd heard before.

Achtung Baby first hooked me. I wasn't a big fan of U2 during the JT era. My mother died in the spring of 1987 when I was 13 so I really couldn't get into ANY music that year. Achtung Baby grabbed me at the time the world was changing (fall of communism & new Europe, etc.) and it seemed like the right soundtrack for everything going on (my family is from Poland). Then my dad died in the summer of 1991. Being left alone in the world led me to eventually get into U2 BIG TIME but I was disappointed by POP. Thank God for ATYCLB. It came at the right time and was the RIGHT ALBUM for me. I needed it bad. The Elevation Tour was my first U2 concert experience (Philly,MSG,NJx2) and I was hooked...been an addict since. My friends think I'm nuts but they really have changed my life in so many ways. Thanks guys.

The first time I hear Pride at a friend's house in 1985 and then he showed me Red Rocks:drool:

Been a freak (as any friend or family member of mine will confirm) ever since.

Back
Top Bottom